Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners Weekly Challenge #59: Modern architecture
Posted By: gawan, 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Time to make a decision, which was not that easy. Many of the pictures were really interesting, and the whole game has been most educating.

Big thanks for all of you for many fine photos!

I decided to take the following six among the finalists, because they were the ones I looked at repeatedly with admiration and found something of the spirit of modern architecture from them.

Okay, here are the results:

Three runner-ups, in equal value and in the order they appeared in the thread:

MrApollinax, I liked how this photo shows one feature of modern trends, combining the old and new. Great composition!

jaws, beautiful photo of yet another trait of modernism, the use of wood in a new way, both as a construction material and a style element!

maj0rglitch, your photo has great composition and a really interesting angle! It also shows one feature of current architecture, using old styles and forms in a creative way to form a completely new uses for them.

And the winners:

Third:

Dave, there is something very capturing in your photo!. It shows in one big glance a whole story of current architecture, maybe not so much from an artistical point of view, but how it creates entire cityscapes!

Second:

KungPOW, your photo is just magnificient - showing in an interesting way both older modern and current modern architecture! Great composition and fine colours!

Winner:

Frank, your photo is just superb! Colours, composition, light and shadows are spot on! I think this is a really true example of the spirit of modern architecture of public places, with it's shiny surfaces, simple and harmonious forms and lines and transitions of colours. Brings some beauti for busy people heading through it every day!

Last edited by gawan; 06-03-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: switched the 2nd and 3rd sentences, to be clearer..
Views: 5,322
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So Frank, the stage is yours now!
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll bet it was tough to choose between KungPOW and Frank. I kept going back to look at these two. Both are top notch, excellent, something for me to work towards in my own photos.
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Frank,

Congratulations on the win! A beauty of a photo, and it deserves top spot!

Gawan,

Thank you placeing my photo in the top three! It really has made my day.

And thank you for hosting the event this week.

Everyone else,

Great work, and thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to this weeks challenge.

Eric.

06-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats..

Congrats everyone, especially Frank for winning!!!!.. Great job Georg picking the winners..

Kim
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

First of all: Congrats to Frank! Secondly thanks for the honorable mention! Makes me even more impatient waiting for my camera to come back from the shop so I can take more pictures!
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Georg. Glad you like that one. Actually it's one of my faorite photos taken by the A15/3.5 lens (a great lens btw).

Congrats to the other winners too, and thanks to all the others for your kind comments I'll start anther round soon.

06-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats Frank and all entries. Thanks for 3rd ! That was one of my fav Veagas photo's from that trip - looking forward to October this year to see how much has it has changed.
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats Frank. Well deserved win! Great shots by everyone who participated as usual. I better get back to clicking away cause you folks are setting a very high standard now.
06-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Well done Frank, it was my favourite as well.

cheers,
john
06-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Forum Member

Congrats to the winners!

Never thought my photo would be picked, thanks.
06-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maj0rglitch Quote
Congrats to the winners!

Never thought my photo would be picked, thanks.
You are welcome, there is some magic in your photo in it self, and I thought it represented this one current trend I'd loosely call a modern version or replay of art deco style. There are many examples of this in modern architecture.