Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS - Project 52-7-09-Ideas-Firework (Art of Fire)
Posted By: Dieterson, 03-10-2015, 12:18 PM

First of all I would like to thank everyone who entered this week's competition. It was a great fun for me to review your pictures and to discover more and more new aspects the longer I looked at them. Here are my thoughts on your pictures:

jcdoss:

It is good that part of the wood is also sharp, because so you have the contrast between the rough wood and the smooth red stuff (how do you call that in English?). Glossy red - matt wood colour, sharp match - smooth bokeh... good use of contrasts.

Actually, the shiny red heads in your picture made me look at my matches at home. I thought the matches you get here look different - but they don't. I just never had a close look before. That is an important thing about macro photography: reveal something new and surprising in something you think you know. A simple every day object turned into a grat macro photo. Well done!

Tamia:
You had to get creative, and I think it turned out very well! The sparks look like an actual firework. With a black background, I would believe it is a real one. However, it is good that the background is not black. I think exposure is perfect in your picture. The sparks are bright, but not too much. The sink and your hand are visible, but not too dominant. They give the picture a slight surreal feeling, which I thing improves the picture. It makes it even more interesting.

patrick9:
Give my regards to your neighbours, good that they decided to burn some wood. Campfires fascinated men for several thousand years, and it is not different for me. Sitting at a fire and staring into the glow brings me into a very special mood where the mind gets blank and everything around me disappears. Your photo had just this effect. Reviewing your picture, I cought myself getting into the staring-at-the-glow mood. Thank you for bringing a campfire into my home! The intact wood in the foreground with the flames licking above is a nice extra touch.

Bill2849:
Yours is a simple picture, and this is meant as a compliment. Reduced to all that is neccessary, there is nothing that could distract the eye. I like that the flame is not in the middle of the candle holder, it underlines its roughness. The structure of the glass distinguishes the candle holder from the flame. At the same time, the glass transports and augments the colour and the warmth of it. I like it!

scomatic:
Your picture shows this week's theme in its purest way. The flames, the fire is the art. The wood or charcoal is very dark, reduced to background, leaving all attention to the flames. And they are indeed spectacular, extending into lines of glowing particles. Composition, balance of light and colour is perfect in your picture. It is very beautiful!

mtux:
I do so much like this picture! The shallow depth of field, the smooth bokeh, the beautiful colours, the reflection on the underlay... If I had to critisize anything (well, I have, it's my job as this week's judge) than - considering this week's theme - that the focus of the picture is on the rose and the light comes second. But that is critizising on the highest stage. It is a great picture.

Helena:
the german word for these things is "Wunderkerze" which means literally "candle of wonders". Here they are usually only used at new years eve, but sometimes restaurants or ice-cream parlours use something similar to decorate their food at special occasions (like birthdays).
Considering that you had only one sparkler I can only say wow. Light is perfect, good composition, and the spark on the left flying downwards gives a nice extra touch to the picture. A pity that the stick itself is a little unsharp, but again, for only one try it is very well done!

noelcmn:
In case you got the idea for your picture from Helena, you owe her a big thank you, because the picture turned out to be great! The glowing stick is an interesting contrast to the sharp lines of sparkles flying away. I have some association looking at your picture, but I cannot nail it what it is exactly. So I keep thinking and thinking... thank you not for this!

IsaacT:
It shows two matches, right? You have indeed captured some beautiful flames. The swirling flame on the bottom right is really very nice. I also like that part of the flames is in focus, and the large one in the upper part is slightly not. It adds some depth to the picture, making it more interesting. It is also nice that the two matches look different, one black and one reddish glowing. It is one of these pictures that get more and more interesting as longer as you look at it. I like that!

Well, so much for the fun part. Enjoying your pictures is one thing. But now I have to decide on a winner. That is going to be the cruel part for me. How to decide between all these nice pictures? But it has to be done, so here are this weeks results:

First, two honourable mentions of pictures, that had not enough "fire" for me to win - considering this week's theme - but are still great pictures:

jcdoss: I even learned something about my matches!
mtux: I am so in love with this picture.

And now...

3rd place
Tamia: I do so like the slight surreal touch!

2nd place
Bill2849: Simple and beautiful.

1st place and WINNER
scomatic: Art of Fire in its purest beauty!

Congratulations!

Views: 1,368
03-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't argue with that choice, just love those twirly bits of sparks flying around. Great shot Scomatic and a hearty congratulations. And of course to Tamia and Bill2849. And of course the HM's. Thanks Dieterson for a fine judging exercise, not a word of criticism (I don't consider it criticism what you said about Mtux's photo) which is great.
03-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for judging and for the comments Dieterson.
Congratulations to Scomatic on the win also to Bill and Tamia and the Honorable mentions .
03-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Dieterson for taking part as judgement for this week, and I also don't feel like criticism in the mtux photo too... His concept a litter bit offset, but 1 of nice photo too.

Congrats to Tamia and bill2849 too... Your photo is brilliant... Well done bro!
BTW, I found an great potential photo from dfromal. Too late but at least...

Dieterson - Is it your mirroring or using the mirror to help create the fire? It's focus, and very well art of fire... Especially the middle section can found the fire demon is there... Great interpret!

03-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Scomatic for your beautiful shot and to Tamia for a shot very deserving of 3rd place, and to JC and Mtux for your honorable mentions. Thank you Dieterson for your judging and your insightful comments and thank you also for the 2nd place finish. This again turned out to be a worthy challenge and each of the entries was interesting.

Thank you also Dieterson for sharing your photo, which I found to be well-composed and intriguing. The idea of a basically horizontal flame, combines with the mirror imaging of the flame results in an interesting abstract. I like the simplicity of the composition as well.

I'm very much looking forward to next week's theme!
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Next week theme is up now>> Click here
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Dieterson for your comments and judgment.

Regarding my photo, I can't see any issue with it, the theme was fire, and I used it as the background! and background is as important as subject.
Also about Jason's photo, It's obvious what those sticks are for.
And the theme is always open to any interpretation.

Congrats to Scomatic, Bill and Tamia.

03-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Is it your mirroring or using the mirror to help create the fire?
Thanks four your kind comment on my picture. It is a burning paper ball lying on a mirror. I turned the camera 90 degrees when I took this photo.

Thanks to Bill for the kind words on my picture as well :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Regarding my photo, I can't see any issue with it, the theme was fire, and I used it as the background! and background is as important as subject. Also about Jason's photo, It's obvious what those sticks are for. And the theme is always open to any interpretation.
Of course, the theme is open to interpretation, and I would not say that you or Jason missed the theme. But I have to interpret the theme as well, and judging will always be subjective. There is no help to that, and still I had a very difficult time to decide on this weeks winners.
I did not want to offend anyone, I am sorry if I did. I just try to give some feedback. Please do not forget that I like your and Jason’s picture a lot! There is a reason why I chose them as honourable mentions
03-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's great to see new participants -- JC, keep bringing 'em in! Congratulations Scomatic for your win, and to Bill for your second place, too -- both well deserved. Thanks Dieterson for your insightful commenting, and thanks for the third place. I enjoyed seeing everyone's entries this week. Now on to eating...
03-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Hi!
Great judgement, and great choices for the winners and the honourable mentions. Thank you Dieterson for that and everyone for so many good shots and creativity, and also for telling me how the "thing" I photographed is called around the world and what it is used for!