Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
52-7-11-Ideas-Reflection
Posted By: scomatic, 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-11-Ideas-Reflection

Images for Project 52-7-10 are to be taken between the 17 March 2015 Tuesday and 23 March 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think levelling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Using reflections in photography can lead to some amazing effects and beautiful images. Using water, windows, mirrors or any sort of reflective surface can change an image into a work of art. The wonderful thing about using reflections when taking photos is that they can completely alter the image from something fairly straightforward to something richer or abstract or otherwise more artistic. Sometimes reflections can be annoying and certainly not artistic. But creativity and good-quality photos depend on the photographer being able to see things differently, rather than seeing only one part of a larger whole.Reflection photography is a challenging and special sort of photography that requires a good grasp of angles and perspective and an ever-vigilant artist’s eye.

Also, using reflected light can vastly improve the quality of lighting available. Diffused light is generally better for taking photos, and using reflected light, either as the main source of light or for highlighting, is an excellent way to capture diffused light.

Whether you choose to use reflection in an artistic way or as a source of lightning, learning to use reflections in photography will help take your photographic skills to the next level.

Reflection photos can be hard to capture because they require you to think about your perspective differently. Instead of shooting a beautiful scene head-on just as you see it, you may have to change your perspective drastically or even shoot upside-down to be able to capture a good reflected photo. The rewards, however, can be wonderful – reflections can place images within images, or apply beautiful and artistic effects naturally – without Photoshop.

Example:
Inception in New York

Milan reflected in Tuba

Girl Peeks At Apple On Reflective Table

Grand Palace Reflected On Table In Lille, France

The World Upside Down

La Defense Reflections in Paris

The Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey

Have fun in this upside down photography...
Views: 2,986
03-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those are some fantastic examples Scomatic.
03-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noel... you wish to participate this event? I this week will very busy to shift my house, and no time to take photo to participate the challenge... So can we swap the role for temporary? I judge, you participate... So next time, we just swap back the role... ok?
03-21-2015, 10:02 AM - 7 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've named this one The Fissure, and I did not originally expect it to turn into a reflection as I was just practicing leading lines and expected another throw away shot, however I actually really like this image.

Last edited by TimPGH; 03-22-2015 at 06:10 AM.
03-21-2015, 11:23 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reflecting on a Late Winter Day This is the best I can do this week. The sun was veiled by high clouds, but is reflected in a limited opening in the river's ice. This was shot above a dam, thus the float and line, warning boaters to beware. Photographed with a Pentax K-5IIs, DA 55-300mm/4-56. ED at 62mm, f/8, 1/500s, ISO 200.

By the way, Scomatic, I agree with Noel -- those example photos are really good.
03-22-2015, 09:15 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps I may come up with something better, but for now I'll go with this:

Taken with my Pentax K-x and smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens, 800 ISO, 55mm focal length, f5.6, 1/60th sec.

BTW -- I agree with Noel and Tamia regarding the quality of the examples you.ve been using, which are inspiring and intimidating in equal measure.
03-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Noel... you wish to participate this event? I this week will very busy to shift my house, and no time to take photo to participate the challenge... So can we swap the role for temporary? I judge, you participate... So next time, we just swap back the role... ok?
That's OK Scomatic, seeing that this is a fun challenge. Everyone, please note, Scomatic will be judging this weeks Project 52, and I will relish the opportunity to be a participant.

03-22-2015, 01:31 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Okay, I will choose this one. Thanks for the advice Duane.

Last edited by tessfully; 03-22-2015 at 04:55 PM.
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dynamite images so far by all. Tess, both dog shots are terrific but I think the latter of the two is best based on composition. Here is one from me. It was tough to capture a balance in the lighting due to the extremes and sharpness on the ship in an ocean port where everything is always moving (even slightly when calm).

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-04-2015 at 04:39 PM.
03-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
That's OK Scomatic, seeing that this is a fun challenge. Everyone, please note, Scomatic will be judging this weeks Project 52, and I will relish the opportunity to be a participant.
Thanks bro!
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Shoot, I've been away from KL during the weekend, and totally forgot about the theme, even though I like reflections
Hopefully I'll get something today.
03-23-2015, 05:46 AM - 7 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Taking a walk in the local Park, I found this snail on the perfect spot shot several exposures in different poses, and my wife captioned and chose this one
So here it is:

03-23-2015, 09:36 AM - 5 Likes   #13

QuoteQuote:
and my wife captioned and chose this one
What would we do without our wives...
Mine told me to go with this one:

Blank-faced reflections
03-23-2015, 01:45 PM - 7 Likes   #14

Photos: Gallery
old window, new point of view

Hello everyone, I'm back! I've been busy and lost that "food challenge", but I saw the photos and got hungry too!
This week I've been waiting for some special light. I know that sometimes this window is a good place to be watching the sunset light, and I thought that for this week's challenge I could try to look at it from the outside to capture those colours reflecting on it.
I had some difficulties.... I wanted to have a greater depht of field so the window and the tree could be in focus, but there wasn't enough light and so I had to increase aperture and ISO. That's also because at the best place to compose this photo it was impossible to use a tripod or some kind of support for the camera - I was standing up in the top of a walll (these challenges are getting dangerous!!)
So, the window got out of focus and the photo is grainy, but I hope you like it. If not the photo, at least that sunset light... it was really beautiful!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rL6zEo]

Last edited by Helena; 03-23-2015 at 02:46 PM.
03-23-2015, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not worth my while entering this weeks challenge, there are simply to many good photos here. Thanks Scomatic-you can even more happily take on the Judging job. Anyway- with the change of plans about the judging, I was not expecting to take anything really, but I got this last week.