Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Project 52, Week 4 - Black and White
Posted By: DanLoc78, 06-04-2008, 07:30 AM

Rules:

1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible

2. Make an attempt to effectively capture the theme of the week

3. Post your single picture in this thread, and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme

4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation) but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. let's try to keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves

5. There is one theme labeled black and white, but feel free to post black and white, sepia, etc. for any of the other themes

6. Have fun, provide constructive and friendly criticism, and fire away

7. It is preferable if the picture you post was taken during the week in which the theme is active; however, any picture you would like to post is acceptable!

This week's theme...Wednesday, June 4 - Tuesday, June 10. You may post your pics as soon as you are ready during the above timeframe.

The person who will judge these Week 4 photos will be the selected based on the results (to be posted shortly) from Week 3 - Animals/Wildlife.
Views: 7,190
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My entry, foggy moonlight over local cemetry. All it needs is a ghostly figure hovering somewhere in the shot!

Attached Images

06-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #47
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
My entry, foggy moonlight over local cemetry. All it needs is a ghostly figure hovering somewhere in the shot!
Now that is SPOOKY Bruce. I've never seen headstone ghosts before.
Could be a scene from one of those Hammer Horrors made in England in the 70's, or maybe one of the Italian gore fests from the same era.
Gary
06-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Am I too late?

I haven't taken anything much in this time period except baseball photos. None of them converted to b&w did much for me. But I did shoot this flower next to the ball field on June 5. A bit of fun post processing, and this is what I came up with. I like it, so here it is...
06-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I am so pleased to be doing the judging on all these wonderful images. Ironicly, B+W is my weakest area in photography.

Here is a run down on a few honourable mentions. (I am a little biased on emphasis of skin texture and lighting aspect of images in general)

06-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Honourable mentions

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
A beautiful conversion to B+W. There is a good graduation of various grey and pattern that forms this beautiful image. Great impact with emphasis on each element of the photo. I think the dramatic soft looking cloud looks almost edible to me (I must be a little hungry )

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote

The flower petals forms an asymmetrical pattern where the random dots of pollens adds great interest to the image. I found myself staring at the shot for a long time. Art for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote

Kim, your signature is all over it. Artistic with soft graudated intensity of bokeh contrasting well with the subject well. Visual massage for my tension headache from work. Thank you!
06-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Here is my submission for the B&W project week:

Camera: Pentax K10D
Software: K10D Ver 1.30
Focal length: 105 mm KB (70 mm Real)
Aperature: F5.6
Exposure time: 1/25" (+0.3 EV)
Meter Mode: Pattern
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
White Balance: Auto

Best regards

Rob
Rob, this teapot is in deed well presented with this interesting lighting. The tea pot suddenly looks classic with such a good depth to it. I really like how you infuse so much majesty to such a still life object.
06-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

RB
The face and the subtle smile with so much warmth is really standing out. A little loss of skin details but the impact is great. The way she tilted up her head lifted mood of the image overwhelmingly.

06-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #53
Veteran Member

2nd Place

QuoteOriginally posted by DJey Quote
My entry!

"LIFE"
This lady is having an apathy look. What really stands out is the skin texture with a skin lump, so stunning and contrasty. I love the look of surprise in there and the gait aid revealing the brittleness of this elderly lady.

Really stunning shot.
06-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #54
Veteran Member

1st place

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Not sure if it was meant ONLY black and white, or B&W like in a grey scale, but here is my entry anyway:

Well, Georg.

The shot really does for me. The lighting and graduation of intensity panning across the frame is just artistic and elegant. I found the variation of pipes also add to the overall asymmetry of the shot.

Good eye for a very effective image.
06-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, Georg.

The shot really does for me. The lighting and graduation of intensity panning across the frame is just artistic and elegant. I found the variation of pipes also add to the overall asymmetry of the shot.

Good eye for a very effective image.
Oh boy, never would have guessed my picture would be picked! Thank you very much for your words, James, they mean a lot to me. I have to say, there were so many good pictures in this thread, and, IMO, you could have picked them in any order.

Congratulations for all that have been mentioned and everyone who take part and keep posting in this great forum!

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Rules:

1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible

2. Make an attempt to effectively capture the theme of the week

3. Post your single picture in this thread, and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme

4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation) but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. let's try to keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves

5. There is one theme labeled black and white, but feel free to post black and white, sepia, etc. for any of the other themes

6. Have fun, provide constructive and friendly criticism, and fire away

7. It is preferable if the picture you post was taken during the week in which the theme is active; however, any picture you would like to post is acceptable!

This week's theme...Wednesday, June 4 - Tuesday, June 10. You may post your pics as soon as you are ready during the above timeframe.

The person who will judge these Week 4 photos will be the selected based on the results (to be posted shortly) from Week 3 - Animals/Wildlife.
Er.., if I understand right, I have the honour to judge the next round, but who will host it? I take it is you DanLoc78?
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yup, putting it up right now. would have been earlier but I'm on vacation this week, so only have access to internet a few times per day. And congrats to Gawan and all the others, fantastic photos all.
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

The flower petals forms an asymmetrical pattern where the random dots of pollens adds great interest to the image. I found myself staring at the shot for a long time. Art for me.
thanks, roentarre, for your very kind words about my image! I am very pleased (and a little surprised!) to be given an honorable mention.

congratulations to all, the quality of images in the Project 52 challenge has been top notch!
06-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #58

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, thanks so much for the kind words.. Another challenge is up guys and let's have some fun again! Ahahha
06-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I agree James (m)

Yep, you picked the stand outs in this project challenge. Excellent work!