Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
52-7-17-Landscape - Sunset
Posted By: scomatic, 04-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-17-Landscape - Sunset

Images for Project 52-7-17 are to be taken between the 27 April 2015 Tuesday and 04 May 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think levelling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Sunset photography is a favourite subject any time of the year. The rich colours, dramatic lighting and strong shapes they offer can produce stunning shots with little need for much effort or clever planning from you.

However, you might find that your camera often captures pale imitations of the sunsets you see with your naked eye. Somehow, the intensity of the colours may have been lost, or the composition might not work.

A longer focal length and a more carefully chosen viewpoint can produce a much more effective result. The sun will be bigger in the frame and you’ll have more control over the shapes and silhouettes appearing in your sunset photography.

The key with camera settings is to make sure you capture the sunset’s colours as they are, not how the camera ‘thinks’ they should be. You might also need to adjust the exposure settings to suit the conditions, too, because in extreme lighting situations the camera might not interpret the scene in the way you expect

12 Tips for Photographing Stunning Sunsets
1. Think Ahead - While sometimes wonderful sunrise and sunset shots can be taken spontaneously without any forethought it’s often the case that the best ones come out of planning. Scope out places that might be good for sunsets in the day or two before your shoot. Look for interesting places where you might not only be able to see the sun track all the way down but where there will be opportunities for shots that include foreground elements and silhouettes.

2. Shoot at a variety of focal lengths - wide angle can create sweeping landscape shots but if you want the sun itself to be a feature of the shot you’ll want to be able to zoom right in.

3. Silhouettes as focal points - As with all photos, sunsets need a point of interest and one of the best ways to add one to a picture is to try to incorporate some sort of Silhouette into the shot. This could be something large like a mountain range, something that is part of the environment like a palm tree or a pier or could even be a person.

4. Rule of thirds - Remember the rule of thirds in your photographing of sunrises and sunsets. While you can always break the rule it’s often a good idea to place elements like the horizon, sun, silhouettes etc off centre.

5. Shoot at a variety of exposures - if you let your camera decide what shutter length to shoot at you’re likely to get a shot that doesn’t really capture the beauty of the light. Quite often the shot will be under exposed because the sky is still reasonably light.

6. Bracketing - Another technique to try to get the right exposure is ‘bracketing’ where you look at what the camera suggests you take the picture at and then take a few shots at both under and over that mark. ie if your camera says to shoot at 1/60th of a second at f/8 you would shoot off a shot at 1/60 at f/5.6 and then at f/11. In doing so you end up with a series of shots at different exposures which will all give you slightly different results and colors. Most DSLR’s and some point and shoot digital cameras have a built in bracketing feature so you don’t need to do this manually – learn how to use it!

7. Auto Exposure Lock - Another exposure trick, if you don’t have a bracketing mode or don’t feel confident in using it is if your camera has ‘auto exposure lock’ which allows you to point your camera at a darker place and lock in exposure for that spot (ie you could point it at the ground in front of you and lock in that exposure) and then reframe the picture looking at the sunset. This will mean you get a more over exposed shot.

8. Take camera out of Auto White balance mode - when you set your camera to ‘Auto’ in it’s white balance mode you run the risk of losing some of the warm golden tones of a sunrise or sunset. Instead try shooting in ‘cloudy’ or ‘shade’ which are usually used in cooler lights and tell your camera to warm things up a little. Alternatively – if you’re shooting a sunrise and DO want a cooler moody shot you can experiment with other white balance settings.

9. Tripod - If you’re shooting at longer shutters speeds and with longer focal lengths then a tripod or some other way of ensuring your camera is completely still is essential.

10. Manual Focus - sometimes when shooting in extreme lighting conditions some cameras can have trouble focussing. If this is the case for your camera consider switching to manual focus to ensure you get nice crisp shots.

11. Look around you - The wonderful thing about sunsets is that they not only create wonderful colors in the sky in front of you but they also can cast a beautiful golden light that is wonderful for other types of photography. As the sunset progresses keep an eye on other opportunities for shots around you (not just in front of you). You might find a great opportunity for a portrait, landscape shot, macro shot etc behind you in the colden light.

12. Keep Shooting - A sunset or sunrise constantly changes over time and can produce great colors well after the sun goes down or appears so keep shooting at different exposures and focal lengths as I’ve mentioned above until you’re sure it’s all over.

Special thanks to digital-photography-school for essential tips

Enjoy the photography for the week... and plan a head all the schedule of the weekend...

Last edited by photolady95; 04-28-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Views: 2,631
04-28-2015, 08:18 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't expecting a sunset tonight, but I got one
05-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This could turn out to be the easiest judging anyone has ever done in a Pentax Forums competition. Tom submitted a pretty darn great photo, but everyone else shouldn't just give up!
05-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though I agree, that image of Tom has killed all enthusiasm to enter here-that's why I call it a killer shot!

05-03-2015, 04:23 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Since I wasn't able to participate in last week's challenge, I thought I'd combine a cityscape and a sunset.

3 minute exposure as dusk was settling in. I love the tail end of sunsets.

05-03-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

We had three days in a row with nice golden sunset, something you wouldn't get normally in Malaysia, but I missed the first one, then during the second one I was at home, so shot this from my window, and third one wasn't as good and my view wasn't good at all. so here is from yesterday's sunset.
It's not a landscape shot, but since two of the photos in examples are cityscapes as well, I decided to enter.

I've shot sunset from the window of my apartment so many times that anytime I think about taking another shot, I remind myself of so many similar shots I've made here.
So this time I added a bit of difference to it, for myself to call it a new shot. and that's that I shot this looking into the opened window glass which was reflecting the sunset view, a bit of the front building in there made it different for me, but interesting or not? that's what you will tell me.
05-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not much of a chance to get anything decent, other than this. Not strictly a sunset, but it'll have to do.

05-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Wasn't aware of this contest until today, happened to catch this and posted elsewhere last night.

05-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Last few hours to submit a photo! I'll announce the winner tonight.
05-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Arrgghhh~!!! I'm too late to participate!!! We Malaysia having 4 days (1st May to 4th May) continuous holiday, and I with my family went to Honolulu for short vacation... Purposely to snap the most beautiful sunset to entering the challenges... who know on day we about to going back, I having fever.. and the airport would not allow me to enter the flight to fly back to Malaysia... With no wifi, internet there... I can't even upload the picture and openning new challenge for the week... Very sad~!

Now just arrive in KLIA... and the 1st thing is pentaxforums...

btw, here is my best photo for sunset at there:
05-12-2015, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Same as above, I have some sunsets... taken in the window, but was away on a trip away from cell phone or wifi. But I got a few in the required time frame.