Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Potw #14
Posted By: SCGushue, 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM

POTW # 14 JUNE 2 to JUNE 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for filling in the gap last week Kim and keeping this weekly post from going the way of the Dodo.

Well, it is Sunday! In the East they are baking, in the Midwest... they are looking for a lifeline and a boat and out West they are still wearing winter coats. So, there must be plenty of "stuff" to shoot out there.

Feel free to post any topic you enjoy that was phtographed between June 2 and June 15. I won't check if you are a day or so either side

Rules as before:
1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days <Sunday Date> to <Sunday Date>
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue

Since I havn't done much personal photography, I will post some from today to get the ball going. I was busy rescreening all the doors and windows today so I took a few macros of the critters in the backyard.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   

Last edited by SCGushue; 06-10-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Views: 15,085
06-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=SCGushue;266140]Reeftool.... I have been up to LG in the high season. Man do the streets get crowded. I think you did a good job under really tough conditions to portray the flavor of the evening. Reminds me a little of Deadwood, SD at the annual.

Americade seems to get bigger every year, or at least on the weekend. Still not as big as Laconia but a little more laid back. I took a lot of shots as this was the first time I had the digital Pentax and the results were great. I shot those handheld at 1/15 and the kit lens wide open at 1600 ISO. The auto focus worked fine in the dark and without the SR the shots would be impossible. There is no way you could use a tripod. I love this camera.

06-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
[..]Georg... Okay, it has been like in the mid 90's here with high humidity. This looks like the cure. Now, I would be even more impressed if you tell me you made this beautiful dessert. And on the boat shot... oh I can feel my spine compressing
LOL, you managed to comment both of us Georg's (georgweb and gawan) in one statement
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I have PPW (Posting Picture Withdrawl) A few from the backyard ..

Click on Image for Full View

A few flowers ....

An Abanded home (thanks goodness!)

Last edited by daacon; 06-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
06-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
those introductory macros are fabulous.
HOW? WHAT WITH?
I mean how can you get so close to the wasp? or is it crop?
Missedd your post before... sorry.

Thx. These were with K20D/Sigma 180 EX DG Macro. The wasps didn't seem to care too much that I was there. No there were no crops here. Full Frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
LOL, you managed to comment both of us Georg's (georgweb and gawan) in one statement
I'm getting older. Maybe a little senile. Then again maybe I'm just careless and lazy. Then again, you seen one Georg... you seen 'em all.

Stephen

06-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I got some from last week.

A bird that crashed into our neighbour's window and sat for a long time on the ground before he flew to our tree. He let me come as close as I could (without a ladder) and didn't move. He did twitter a bit.

A cut flower that never seems to dry, I must buy those more often!

And a flower with a cathedral behind, I tried pp-ing so the colors came more out, but I still think it's a bit colorless..
06-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks SCG. Actually that is a fungus on a fungus. The weather has been extremely wet, and as a result the fungus (fur) is growing on the mushroom, actually two seperate growths.
No PP along the lines suggested. Shot as is.
06-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

garth1948 - great bridge shot I like this one nice framing

woof - nice vulture series I hear ya birds in flight are very difficult these are better than andy I have captured well done

Georg (the 1st haha) - great boat shots - those pictures really show the speed.

maxwell1295 - nice macro the weekly contest is Red .. that just might qualify.

Dave - What did I say about that 300mm ?? Nicely done

Griza - nice closeup of the bird - he may have been still stunned. Nice flowers as well

06-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #38
Bud
Veteran Member

More great stuff this week, folks!

Stephen - excellent macros... as always.
Woof - cool mob scenes! And nice captures on the Turkey Vultures
reeftool - nice shots... almost like being there... I can hear the rumble
Peter - great shots! I really like the feel of both....
Rosemary - nice spring foliage shots. At least, there's one positive thing that goes along with all of the rain we've been getting... everything is very green.
Bramela - very cool fungi! I envy your place of employment.
georgweb - yum!
garth - nice shot... interesting patterns
gawan - great action shots!
Max - nice coneflower. Ours will be blooming in the next week or so... butterfly magnets!
Dave - love the puffins!
Dave (daacon) - great colors in the flower shots! Paper wasp nest?
Griza - Wow! That blue is incredible! Nice shot

Here's my contributions this week... most with K20D and Vivitar 105/2.5

Katydid nymph caught in the middle of a praying mantis explosion. The katydid was larger than the tiny mantids, so it survived... at least, while I was out there ;-)

Tachina Fly

Rabid Wolf Spider with spiderlings on her back (The name is a bit of a misnomer... they're harmless to humans)

The largest Harvestman (Daddy-Long-Legs) I have ever seen

And... after a long night out.... even a hummingbird can use a little help to keep from falling over

Last edited by Bud; 06-12-2008 at 06:35 PM.
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #39
Syb
Veteran Member

Twice a rose. One before, one after a rain shower. Same rose, same lens. DA35mm/2.8 macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Wonderful photos folks . I must say Peter's BW Boat is my fav so far .I have a soft spot for BW .

Practice with Vivitar Series I 105/2.5 + 1.7X F TC

Tran
06-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Georg (the 1st haha) - great boat shots - those pictures really show the speed.
Thanks Dave!

Now that I have stopped laughing, I think you'll better call me just gawan, I don't want to upset any Britons by confusing myself with George I
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Another flower.....I thought this was interesting because it's 2 roses with a rose.

Kinda like a 2-for-1 sale.

06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
<snip>
Dave (daacon) - great colors in the flower shots! Paper wasp nest?
<snip>
Thanks Bud and yes indeed it is a Paper wasp nest - I noticed it in the beginning and watched it grow, it is on our fence in the backyard - I was going to get some spray and nuke'em but first thought I may have some photo opps (much to my wife’s disappointment) but ya know I never say any go in there. So it must have been an interim house or a fake not sure what happened. Maybe they were camera shy as I never got a shot or saw any entering the nest but it looks complete ! (Not so much now with some wind assistance seemed to have destroyed it).
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #44
Veteran Member

From an 18th century old coastal island fortress near Helsinki port.

06-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The weather has been crummy, but not too crummy for some shots in the Columbia River Gorge...

Dry Creek Falls with the 18-55mm kit on the K10D

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2008 at 09:59 PM.