Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#326 June 2nd - June 9th "Arrangement"
Posted By: Dieterson, 06-01-2015, 03:38 PM

"Arrangement"

This week is about photos that you have composed. It can be a still-life, but it can contain one or more living beings just as well - as long as you have arranged their appearance in the picture. It is about making a picture, not just taking it.

Your arrangement can be placed in a neutral environment, the natural environment of the subject(s) or in a totally different one - it is up to you.

This challenge will run till Midnight June 9th. I'll be away and won't have time to judge earlier anyway...

Rules:

1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Photos from any Pentax camera (film, compact, DSLR, etc.) -- or a Samsung DSLR -- are allowed.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Some samples.....
as usual, these samples represent only a small selection of what could be a good implementation of the topic. Go ahead, be creative!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo   

Views: 3,017
06-01-2015, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tomatoes in the Window
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
06-01-2015, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Macro shot of an African fabric and pin for scale. K-3 with 100mm f/4,0 M macro.

If you're curious what the fabric looks like at normal scales, see the photo below. Not my entry, just if you're curious.
06-01-2015, 10:18 PM - 7 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

So I didn't place the dandelion, but I did arrange myself so that it had the background (plain-ish green) that I wanted and the arranged for all the seeds to be in mid-air by flicking it as I ran my K-3 on 8.3 fps burst mode. It took me about 30 dandelions over three days to get this shot.

06-02-2015, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's is my entry--- The sun was very low late in the afternoon and the toothpick colors showed up well against the counter top.I'll call it a disarranged arrangement.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-02-2015, 07:22 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light My Fire I set up this shot in semi-darkness to demonstrate the sparks created by repeatedly striking a fire steel.

06-02-2015, 11:28 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Can't get more set-up than this. Dead grasshopper glued to ornamental grass. Broken grasshopper antenna replaced with thick fishing line. Grass taped to lawn chair. Lawn chair placed between my neighbor's houses to capture sunset.

Tim

06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Can't get more set-up than this. Dead grasshopper glued to ornamental grass. Broken grasshopper antenna replaced with thick fishing line. Grass taped to lawn chair. Lawn chair placed between my neighbor's houses to capture sunset.

Tim
If you didn't say anything I would have thought it was one of the great images.
06-02-2015, 01:26 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Suspended in Ice

I was bored so I froze an Easter Lily and various sprigs of greenery and flowers in a flat of sparkling water and then photographed it outside using ambient light.

06-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Beautiful

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I was bored so I froze an Easter Lily and various sprigs of greenery and flowers in a flat of sparkling water and then photographed it outside using ambient light.
Your boredom was our pleasure, beautiful image.
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Does boredom trigger good imagination for photographers? If it does - this certainly is a great result. Like it.
06-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
For me it is. I normally rely on post processing tricks.

Tim
06-03-2015, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much for this opportunity to see excellent photographs and to offer this image for your comments, criticism and suggestions.

In the evening, I placed an iris stem and a poppy stem in a white vase. I placed the vase on our front porch with an evergreen shrub in the background. The camera is a handheld Pentax K-x with SMC Pentax-F 1:4-5.6 35-80mm.

I am especially pleased with the results of this photo session, which included verticals, horizontals, captures of the entire floral display, close-ups of only part of the display, and the iris alone. In some cases, the bokeh of the evergreen shrub is especially pleasing.

Relatively minor processing was done in Viveza 2 from the Nik Collection.

Best wishes, everyone.
Attached Images

Last edited by smf; 06-03-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: add information
06-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I would assume that quite many of the great images are a result of scrupulous work as described here... :-)
06-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieterson Quote
I would assume that quite many of the great images are a result of scrupulous work as described here... :-)
I am sure you are correct.