Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS-Project 52-7-21
Posted By: noelcmn, 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks to everyone that entered this challenge, my apologies for the late judging exercise, as I kept hoping raymondjackso25 would judge this challenge. Both Scomatic and I have sent him PMs but no response. Here are my thoughts but first a word about the judging criteria I usually use (departing from those suggested by our facilitator, as excellent as they are) and those are basically 2. One is what does the image tell me about the photographer-their eye to see and capture what is available, composition, color etc. Then there is the image itself, its impact upon me as the judge, in terms of my emotions, does it challenge me as a photographer to try and capture something like this. I.E., it affords me a learning opportunity. To this I will add, another criteria, and that only because this is about flowers, a common subject, readily available, and there is not a photographer that I know that does not photograph flowers at one time or another. So it is a challenge to capture a flower with impact. The added criteria will be that of pop- or to use the more familiar terminology- is the flower the centre of attraction, does it hold attention? I am happy to say, that all the entries qualify on that score.
In order of appearance
Photolady95- what a stunning opening salvo, setting a high standard. Sharp, appealing, lovely bokeh, terrific details.
Johnhilvert- Great shot, love those drops of water, excellent composition, colors and bokeh too.
Vaskebjorn- Welcome to Project 52- so glad you entered. Wonderful pop to this image, fabulous contrast, composition and color. Id have removed that little bit on the left there- its distracting.
Scomatic - As with Vaskebjorn, wonderful pop, color is wonderful and sharp. Again, Id be inclined to remove that leaf on the right- its distracting.
Realitarian Welcome to Project 52. Fabulous macro shot, and I was expecting one with an insect-tells me a lot about the photographer- not content with just the flower, but the life of the flower. Great shot.
Normhead A wow photo, all the right stuff there, color, pop, composition. Tangible and I want to get to the other side, to see more of its beauty.
Tessfully Another wow photograph, mmm, that purple pops beautifully here, keeping the attention firmly focuses on that flower. Sharp with lovely bokeh and delicious greens.
Vitavin- Welcome to Project 52- Top marks for technique, and as with Realitarian- captured the life of a flower. Great composition and background is stunning.
VBW- Another wow shot, love the contrasts in this- Black background/white petals, green/yellow and frontal/back view combined with a beautiful composition. Focus on those two flowers for sure.
Jheu02 A beaut- stunning details on the pistils, color splash and composition.
SMF another wow image, stunning appealing color (who does not like pastels?) appealing lines and composition. An entry for the converging lines competition elsewhere on the Forum?
Not an easy one to judge, all have appealed to me on so many levels-a delight to revisit all the entries here, and study them with intention.
1st-place goes to Normhead-
2nd place SMF
3rd spot to Tessfully.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by noelcmn; 06-08-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Views: 911
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And what you say about mine, eh, noel. I guess I just got called Tamia, well the other day some called Tess, and neither being my name, it makes me feel kind of left out.
06-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And what you say about mine, eh, noel. I guess I just got called Tamia, well the other day some called Tess, and neither being my name, it makes me feel kind of left out.
Don't sweat it Mar! I get called all kinds of things. Definitely not insults by the work those two do, but your work doesn't take a back seat to anyone.

CONGRATULATIONS Norm, stunning photo!
Also Stu and Tess! Well done all, Noel (laughing), nice job except for the names!
06-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to Norm and Tess, and thanks very much to Noel for awarding my photo second place in such a strong field and for suggesting the possibility of entering my photo in a converging lines competition Thanks to everyone who posted photos; and thanks, Tom, for the congratulations.

06-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks to Noel helping...
Noel - Nice rose u having there... the background blend it very well... I think you're the actual winner in this week... Sorry for bring u down...

Anyway... congrate to Normhead, SMF, and tesffully... lovely photo contributed...

Regard
David
06-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Don't sweat it Mar! I get called all kinds of things. Definitely not insults by the work those two do, but your work doesn't take a back seat to anyone.
Thanks Tom!

And congrats to the winners! 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
06-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OH DEAR, WHAT A WAY TO START MY MONDAY. MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES PHOTOLADY95. I DID NOT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU OUT, OR CONFUSE YOU WITH TAMIA. IT HAS BEEN A HECTIC STRESSFUL WEEKEND. I BEG YOUR FORGIVENESS, HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT HAPPENED, THOUGH I COULD SWEAR I SAW TAMIA. IN MITIGATION I MAY MENTION I AM DUE FOR A EYE TEST IN AUGUST, THINGS ARE SURE TO BE SORTED OUT THEN . IN ANY EVENT, THE HIGH STANDARD OF PHOTOGRAPHY BETWEEN YOU, TAMIA AND TESSFULLY IS OF SUCH A NATURE I SHOULD BE FORGIVE FOR THE CONFUSION AND IT SEEM I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. AND I HATE JUDGING ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THIS KIND OF THING. I APOLOGISE PROFUSELY.
Tom - stop laughing- how about some sympathy
06-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
OH DEAR, WHAT A WAY TO START MY MONDAY. MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES PHOTOLADY95. I DID NOT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU OUT, OR CONFUSE YOU WITH TAMIA. IT HAS BEEN A HECTIC STRESSFUL WEEKEND. I BEG YOUR FORGIVENESS, HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT HAPPENED, THOUGH I COULD SWEAR I SAW TAMIA. IN MITIGATION I MAY MENTION I AM DUE FOR A EYE TEST IN AUGUST, THINGS ARE SURE TO BE SORTED OUT THEN . IN ANY EVENT, THE HIGH STANDARD OF PHOTOGRAPHY BETWEEN YOU, TAMIA AND TESSFULLY IS OF SUCH A NATURE I SHOULD BE FORGIVE FOR THE CONFUSION AND IT SEEM I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. AND I HATE JUDGING ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THIS KIND OF THING. I APOLOGISE PROFUSELY.
Tom - stop laughing- how about some sympathy
Relax bro.. All's my fault... I ask noel to be judge in such an last minute.... I'm sorry too...

06-08-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats Norman! Nice flower

Congratulation to Stu as well. I love the abstract beauty and colour of your image.

Thank you Noel for 3rd. It was a hard flower to photograph as it was so small and there were lots of mosquitoes trying to steal my blood at the time! And thank you too for stepping in to judge. Great work! And nice photos everyone.
06-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Thanks noelcmn, it's never being easy doing the judging thing... I enjoyed everyone else's photos, it's an honour to win. Thanks for the commentary as well.