Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
52-7-23-Natural - Insect Close up
Posted By: scomatic, 06-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-23-Natural - Insect Close up

Images for Project 52-7-21 are to be taken between the 09 June 2015 Tuesday and 15 June 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think leveling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Overview:

Despite their reputation as pests, the trillions of insects, bugs, and spiders that inhabit the Earth can make some of the most fascinating and dramatic close-up photography subjects. Insects and their tiny environments offer the macro photographer an unlimited amount of color, texture, and physical architecture to explore. They are as unique as we are, and they are obviously much more plentiful. As an added bonus, you won’t even have to get a “model release” after you’ve photographed them! During most months of the year, bugs can be found just about everywhere, and most make very willing subjects…if you just learn how to find, approach, and compose them.

Tips:

1. Get it close
2. Use creative angle
3. Keep it focus
4. Capture moving insect
5. Look for vivid colours
6. Catch them in action

Recommended Settings:

Insects are very small and always look best when they stand out from the background. Therefore, use a shallow depth of field, usually f/2.8 – as a result you should be able to have a relatively fast shutter speed too. Insects move quickly, so don’t be afraid to use sports mode since it allows you to capture subjects that are moving rapidly.

Recommended Equipment

A macro lens is important if you want to take very sharp close-up images, but there are less expensive alternatives. You can buy attachments called extension tubes that give great close-ups; you can also buy filters that magnify giving the close up look. Both work well although the quality may not as high as a macro lens. It is good to remember that extension tubes work best with a bright lens (like a 50mm lens with f/1.8 or lower aperture). Use a tripod or monopod wherever possible. Use colored cards to make quick and attractive backdrops whether you’re photographing insects indoors or out.

Conclusion

There are many insects out there in varying colors, shapes and sizes. These are just some of the reasons why insect photography is so appealing. You need to be patient since insects are hard to spot and they can move around quickly. If necessary you can even bring an insect indoors to take some shots, albeit gently. Afterwards, always return it to where it was found. Since insects are everywhere, there is no excuse not to go out and find some to photograph.

Example:

Thanks to ephotozine.com

Hope u all enjoy the beauty of insect ya...
Views: 2,691
06-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guess I'll start it out.

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 1:3.5 @ f/8 1/320" ISO400 Handheld
06-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #3

Approach for a Landing

Here is my contribution for this week... a busy pollen carrier :-)

I took this photo with a manual zoom lens (Chinon 80-200mm f3.8), hence the saved exif data is not entirely correct/complete. Here are the correct exif data:
80mm, f/8, 1/180s ISO100, build-in flash at -2.0EV
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-13-2015, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #4

Here is my entry - another pollen gatherer, K3 with DFA 100, f14 1/800 and ISO1600. I wanted relatively big depth of field for flower and fly. I used a monopod and wanted to get a shot of the fly hovering above the flower - but I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos and couldn't wait.

Last edited by SD_Bob; 07-18-2015 at 07:51 PM.
06-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll go with this one for now- though I may change it if I get something better
06-14-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freshly emerged Monarch with unexpanded wings. I have been raising a few of these from eggs I found on a milkweed plant in my garden.
This shot is part of a time lapse.Taken with a Q7 using a DFA100WR via Pentax adapter.

06-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
very seldom got chance to do macro photo...

here is the best picture from me for this week challenge...

06-15-2015, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
On my way back home I parked the car on the side of the road, near a stream, to look for some bee eaters I saw the day before. Couldn't found them, but just before leaving I noticed a few spider webs shining in the morning sun. I couldn't identify the species and I'll be grateful if anyone can help. Cheers!