Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS - Weekly Challenge #320 -"Photographers"
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 07-18-2015, 06:26 AM

I can tell you right away that this will be difficult, I've just glanced though and have see a lot of quality. Sometime I don't have a good entry on these challenges so I just through something in there to take up space and have an extra entry to make the others look better, give the judge an easy start to eliminate one. There are definitely none of those type photos.

mwilky55
: I like this one, I like the way it's composed and the colors are great, almost a painterly effect. You managed to catch a classic full length portrait session in progress. I'd guess this is a better shot that the photographer in the picture is getting, at least more interesting. You initially had another ophoto up too, which was also quite good.

charliezap: A most excellent composition with the line of uniformed men forming the upper border of the frame, but since they are a little out of focus you know the photographer is the subject. I enjoy your dialog about Greg Mironchuk, but you can see that experience and personality in the photo, the gray hair gives his age away, as does the style and length, which adds some personality. The things sticking out of his coat pocket. I enjoyed the other photos too.

atupdate: This one is really interesting Tim, it looks as though the photographer just missed an opportunity, as she seems to be looking away from the camera. You chose an outstanding vantage point seeing some great curves and the faces of both subjects, all of the elements working together. A bonus that you defeated a pretty harsh light that is told only be the shadows.

mecrox
: What a fun pic! I don't know if you just caught this or set it, but it's delightful and creative. I'm thinking I would like to see this in black and white too, maybe a high key. Using a wall for a background kept this uncluttered, nice choice.

mattb123: I could go on and on about this beautiful photo. The dramatic sky, the detail in the mountainside., the sunburst, the smooth rock foreground, and the silhouette of the photographer and friend, altogether it's amazing. Fantastic composition job, one where :breaking the rules" was necessary, and really a nice job on the exposure.

SpecialK: I agree with your dialog Kyle, well worth it. This vista would be a nice photo without the couple, but so much better with them. Nice details in the photo, even through the haze in the background.

sealonsf: This is a great find going though the parade to the other side of the street., Nice quickly done composing here, to include the performer's rear and the small flag, which lets you know what's going on. The subjhect photographer is interesting too, I just couldn't shoot steady in a stance like that.. Very colorful too, but what you expect from the 18-135.

rod_grant: I agree with you Rod, it's hilarious, but it's also a fantastic photo to show a slice of time, what will this look like 20 or 30 years from now? I wish I had come up with the selfie stick. I think I may start taking picture of every one of them I see.

noelcmn: Beautiful shot Noel, excellent colors and details, I love the detail in the foamy surf. I'm guessing he may have been in the surf after the next coule of waves.

Annie3410: Welcome to the forums! I'm glad to see a new forum member getting into the challenges, best place to share and have fun, and for me learn. Excellent photo, I really like the composition with your daughter on the move along those slightly diagonal lines, with that high step that just shows an energetic kid having fun. Some may not like that your Dad is cut off a little, but I think if you had included his whole body the girl would have been too much on the edge of the frame. I like the way you did it.

Hattifnatt: Very nice portrait of a pretty photographer. She really stands out with the OOF and hazy/foggy background. The color is excellent as is the light.

Sqideyes: Another pretty photographer pic! She actually looks to have better technique than many more "seasoned" photographers. Nice pic!

RollsUp: Very interesting photo because I ask myself, "what is he doing, what's the pole for" This is one of those photos that make you think, which I like, sometime I'll fing myself staring at them. I like that you include the horizon and those mysterious out of focus objects, but I like also that you included a lot of the rocky surface, and the balck and white gives it an historical look. Col shot!

Arjay Bee: What a beautiful and colorful fireworks photos. I believe a good fireworks pic always has a anchor, something to relate it to the ground or the viewer. The glow of the fireworks does a great job of illuminating the people to create interesting silhouettes. Thank for sharing the pic of you father and yourself!

And now for the judging, this was extremely difficult, all of the photos were good and all conveyed the challenge subject well.

The winning photo was taken by mattb123, Well done!

2nd place to SpecialK (Kyle)

3rd to mecrox

Views: 1,951
07-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be the winner in my book too-another stunner from you Matt, though it seems to me the horizon could do with some straightening. Congratulations! Extended to Kyle (I'm tempted to say "Beam there right away Scotty) and Mecrox, the latter worth a good laugh too. Thanks Tom for a fine challenge and as mentioned, a stunning range of images here, well judged Sir!
07-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks for judging ramseybuckeye and congrats to mattb123 and SpecialK for super images, as to everyone for great takes on the theme. FWIW, my image was a street candid but from where I was standing the people had posed themselves!
07-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
That would be the winner in my book too-another stunner from you Matt, though it seems to me the horizon could do with some straightening. Congratulations! Extended to Kyle (I'm tempted to say "Beam there right away Scotty) and Mecrox, the latter worth a good laugh too. Thanks Tom for a fine challenge and as mentioned, a stunning range of images here, well judged Sir!

I agree. The Mecrox image made me smile.

07-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You picked my favorites for 1, 2, and 3. Congratulations to all of the winners.

Tim
07-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow thanks! That was a magical night.
Thanks for the judging and congratulations to SpecialK and mecrox. I figured that Zion image had me beat!
Lots of other great images as well.
As for my horizon, I struggled with it. It's not flat so if one part looks level another will be off. I think we were a little drunk by that point as well which tends to make things crooked.
07-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the winners of the challenge and to a fine job of judging the challenge. Looking forward to the next one.--charliezap

07-20-2015, 01:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners! and everybody who participated. Looking forward to Matt's next challenge.
07-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

I like all three winning pictures a lot. Congratulations! Great photos, and fine judgeing, too.