Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS: Weekly challenge #321 - "LOUD"
Posted By: mattb123, 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Some good entries in this one and it wasn't an easy choice for me. The winning shot(s) need to represent the theme effectively as well as being technically well-shot.
Great job to everyone for submitting and especially to the folks on the podium. Nice work!

Here are my thoughts on each entry:

jimr-pdx - A nice scene and certainly a loud one at times! A classic fireworks shot. Nothing wrong with it but I think a little more foreground interest always makes a better fireworks shot. A longer exposure or shooting at the beginning of the show when there is more light are two ways to achieve this.
chti - Lots of action there and I can imagine it would be pretty loud! Nice freeze of the action, I can tell it's a climactic moment. Looks like a fun show I would enjoy too.
obsidianblack - This is a nice shot. Of course lots of color but also a pleasing composition and nice and sharp where it should be. I imagine it's loud in an audible way as well as in a visual way.
charliezap - Great capture of the falls! Beautiful morning light on the trees, the rainbow, and the sheer grandeur of the falls makes this a good shot. My only critical issue is the blues seem a little over-saturated.
atupdate - This looks more like it is about to be loud instead of actually being loud. I'd like to see smoke from the guns indicating they are being fired to really seem loud.
fairtaxphil - Nice photo but it seems more potentially loud than loud.
mecrox - Wonderful image. I have been to demonstrations like this and this expresses well the loud spectacle. I can smell the sulfur in the air. The quality of light is nice and and the composition is spot on. Great work.
SpecialK - I can almost feel the sound pounding my chest! Good panning too. Loud and fast and stinky all come to mind.
noelcmn - Good catch of the lion. I have heard they are one of the louder creatures out there. On a technical note, the white balance seems a little green in this one and it seems a little noisy or pixelated. Maybe something happened in processing?
Codazzle - Going with your first image since this is a one-image contest. It looks loud, especially being so close to that house! A well composed night shot with some interest in the foreground is nice to see. Good job.

First place is mecrox! Great job, I love this photo.

Second place is obsidianblack. I like the unique approach to the theme and the photo is fun to look at.

Third place is Codazzle. This is a well exposed, well composed image and I can imagine the crackle coming from it. Good shot!

Also, an honorable mention to SpecialK is in order. That's a good shot too. I thought 2nd, 3rd, and your shot were all very close.

Last edited by mattb123; 07-27-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Views: 1,093
07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Mecrox, also love that photo, and all the others of that re-enactment of war scenes that you have posted elsewhere. Congrats too to obsidianblack and Codazzle and SPecialK. Thanks Matt for this challenge,m some real interesting takes on the theme. You are right, I struggled with the PP on that lion shot, so thanks for that advice, I'll give it a go on the white balance, the original is rather more reddish/brown. Back top the drawing board!
07-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks for your excellent judging, mattb123, and for hosting the comp. And congrats to all the other entrants, another great subject and good fun to shoot. I'll put up a new comp in the next day or two
07-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Wow, very happy with third place, considering how many great shots there were in that set. Thanks for hosting/judging mattb123!

07-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the winners of the challenge and a fine job of judging to boot--Looking forward to the next challenge.----charliezap