Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
52-7-30- Perpestive - HDR (High Dynamic Range images)
Posted By: scomatic, 08-05-2015, 12:52 AM

PROJECT 52-7-30- Perpestive - HDR (High Dynamic Range images)

Images for Project 52-7-30 are to be taken between the 04 August 2015 Tuesday and 11 August 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think leveling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Overview:
Ever tried to photograph a high-contrast scene, only to be frustrated when you find that the pictures you snapped just don’t do it justice? Don’t worry, it’s not just you. Even with the perfect exposure, there are certain scenes that will always tend to get blown-out highlights, flat shadows, or both. But despite the fact that it’s nearly impossible to find a happy medium in these types of situations, there is a solution. This age-old dilemma can be solved through the magic of HDR processing.

What is HDR?
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. For those who aren’t so acquainted with this high-tech shutterbug lingo, dynamic range is basically just the difference between the lightest light and darkest dark you can capture in a photo. Once your subject exceeds the camera’s dynamic range, the highlights tend to wash out to white, or the darks simply become big black blobs. It’s notoriously difficult to snap a photo that captures both ends of this spectrum, but with modern shooting techniques and advanced post-processing software, photographers have devised ways to make it happen. This is basically what HDR is: a specific style of photo with an unusually high dynamic range that couldn’t otherwise be achieved in a single photograph.

How it works:
At the most basic level, an HDR photo is really just two (or three, or nine) photos taken at different exposure levels and then mashed together with software to create a better picture. It’s a bit more complicated than that, but not much more – that’s basically the gist of it. Ideally, the photographer takes a range of bracketed photos – that is, photos of the same subject taken with varying shutter speed/aperture combinations in order to produce a set of images with varying luminosity and depth of field. Then, with the help of advanced post-processing software, the photographer is able to blend the photos together and create a single image comprised of the most focused, well-lit, and colorful parts of the scene.

Tips:
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography in Photoshop

Example best shot:

Last edited by scomatic; 08-05-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Views: 4,788
08-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #2

Once again, so beautiful example pictures!
08-05-2015, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dates are wrong for this challenge-it should read 4 August - 11 August 2015.
08-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A note for K-3 owners, One great feature of K-3 which I use in these cases is its ability to capture an HDR RAW file!
Just put the file format on Raw (Well, I guess it should be there already) and then put the HDR setting on Auto. it will capture 2 to 3 shots depending on the scene and merge them together and provide a big (80-90MB) file which is in 32bit format (instead of 14bit Raw which is the default raw file of K-3) and then you'll have a lot of DR to play with in post process.

Even if you are a JPEG shooter, this is helpful because it will give you the same file in JPEG format. (well not so big in size though)

It does a perfect job aligning my handheld shots. and I'm happy with its results. and it's just like a normal shot with higher dynamic range. (no creepy HDR effect)

The down side is that after any capture you'll need to wait a longer time than normal for camera to process the result.

08-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
A note for K-3 owners, One great feature of K-3 which I use in these cases is its ability to capture an HDR RAW file!
Just put the file format on Raw (Well, I guess it should be there already) and then put the HDR setting on Auto. it will capture 2 to 3 shots depending on the scene and merge them together and provide a big (80-90MB) file which is in 32bit format (instead of 14bit Raw which is the default raw file of K-3) and then you'll have a lot of DR to play with in post process.

Even if you are a JPEG shooter, this is helpful because it will give you the same file in JPEG format. (well not so big in size though)

It does a perfect job aligning my handheld shots. and I'm happy with its results. and it's just like a normal shot with higher dynamic range. (no creepy HDR effect)

The down side is that after any capture you'll need to wait a longer time than normal for camera to process the result.

yeah.. you're right and thanks for sharing the useful information...
08-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
So, I have to ask: what does 'perpestive' mean?
08-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! You'r SHARP.

08-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
LOL! You'r SHARP.
Okay, so I am guessing that means it is just a typo - I thought it might have been either an international spelling or me simply being an ignorant novice. 😊

Thanks!
08-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a HDR i took on my walkabout this morning :-)
08-09-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

OK, My entry with the method I've explained above. plus processing in HDR Efex pro.
Though I should've used a tripod, still acceptable.

08-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dickie Quote
Okay, so I am guessing that means it is just a typo - I thought it might have been either an international spelling or me simply being an ignorant novice. 😊

Thanks!
yeah,,, typo... didn't notice it.. hahaha... great spot!
08-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fresh from the SD Card, Taken today at Rietvlei Nature Reserve, Pretoria.
08-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Long time no using Pentax camera... now coming... And thanks to Pentax having outstanding performance in HDR (I feel).

---------- Post added 08-11-15 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
OK, My entry with the method I've explained above. plus processing in HDR Efex pro.
Though I should've used a tripod, still acceptable.

wow... u have very stable hand... great work!
08-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Trying to figure out HDR

Hi Everyone,
I tried to take an HDR photo, but there appears to be a problem somewhere. In the photos below, the first is what Lightroom 5.7 has as my HDR image. I then used the digital camera utility to separate the individual files, they are shown below. It seems like the "HDR" image is the same as the first individual image. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Photo is of Solberg Hall where I work - one of the original buildings on the South Dakota State campus.

Last edited by SD_Bob; 10-06-2015 at 04:54 PM.
08-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to let you know - I am not going to be able to judge this competition. I have asked last week's runner-up, Scomatic, to do the honors.

Best wishes to all of you.