Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #322 WINNERS:- "HOLIDAY TIME (VACATION TIME)"
Posted By: mecrox, 08-06-2015, 05:25 AM

Many thanks to everyone for entering this competition. I have really enjoyed it. One of the pleasures of any competition like is the sheer variety of views, experiences and different takes on something from all around the world.

Codazzle - Haha, nice perspective and fishy eye, and your old lady is looking in exactly the opposite direction, rather like mine whenever I get out the camera ...

SpecialK - Those eyes say a wise old dog, in lovely light and colours and with a certain very special house in the background, I'd guess It's an original take on the theme!

K David - A superb image, very dramatic and I love the black-and-white treatment from your venerable Asahi Pentax AP. I can never get close to big drops like this without feeling the urge to jump straight off ...

tungal - A nice vanishing trick which asks lots of questions, like what's going on and who or what has been coming or going. I like the mystery ...

iss2012 - Gorgeous light and colours and a sense of huge space too. I've never been to this part of the world but your image makes me want to.

jchorst - This is just such fun and it could only be about having a fab time on holiday by the sea and sand. It's so carefree. Lovely colours too.

mattb123 - Wow, an amazing panorama of a part of the world I've never been to other than when chasing bad boys on TV with Dog the Bounty Hunter It's all pretty majestic and mysterious. I'm thinking, intense light to tame, possibly a moving camera position (boat?) and a lot of stitching of different images so this is a very accomplished result.

mtux - Very adept, your black-and-white treatment, the geometry and shapes, the spread of tones across the image. I love the way your exposure and/or development leads the eye straight to the two figures because of their highlight tones. To me your images says "emptiness" and overall it is a quite disturbing and very memorable.

atupdate - a warm, affectionate and totally relaxed and natural image in a beautiful place, well done! It is touching.

charliezap - I love bold images like yours which get to the point. There's no messing here is there. This is out taking the rays with a deliciously cooling drink by a pool of shimmering water. I can't help feeling that the strawberry could be a stray toe nail given the colour of those toe nails, which I am sure are not your own, but I guess in the world of imagination it is fine to have strawberries for toe nails and toe nails for strawberries. It's all fun.

Dieterson - This is a beautiful, tranquil image, very well composed, which is close to my heart. I've never been to these canals in Wales but the one here, the Oxford Canal, has a few stretches like this and wonderful they are in spring and summer. I quite often walk along them. I think you have caught the atmosphere and sense of ease perfectly.

gdneil - lol, I think if I was going to spend a few days photographing seaside resorts, I would be looking for the quirky and unusual just like this, soooo much more interesting than yet another shot of a long strip of sand with the usual suspects out cold on rows of towels. Your image made me laugh and it's memorable.

arnold - Well, that is certainly relaxed and there is a great view on the other side of the ship's rail. The soft tones make the atmosphere. Yes, I think I could see myself in that lounger without much trouble and the FOV is just great ...

Outis - What a great vantage point and sweeping view, and interesting to me as I've never seen a picture of this beach, I think, even though the name suggests it must be quite famous? It's nice to have included a funfair in the image. Lots of places here used to have them but few now do. The last one I visited has a small park full of plastic dinosaurs instead.

JulieB - Fantastic light and colours, I just love the whole carefree, candid, spur-of-the-moment feel. The angle suggests the bottle may have contained some rocket juice rather than lemonade ...

ramseybuckeye - Another carefree, candid one with lots of atmosphere. Wouldn't you like to be them? I would. Who cares, it's only water. I think this is a very original take since it is not sunny, sandy, hot, etc.

gabeH - Your image is absolutely lovely, very well exposed, a huge, spacious FOV, and all so natural and tranquil, without the overcooking that can spoil so many landscape shots. You are right, what a beautiful place to be

simon_199 - Nice capture and well caught with those lights and the colours and starry bursts they throw. I do love that sense of excitement when you are on the plane, strapping in, looking out the window and thinking, "We're off!"

noelcmn - This is an amazing action shot and well exposed to keep the highlights in detail. Great colours and atmosphere, too, sharp and in focus. I've really no idea how shots like this are done, they always seem like magic to me.

scomatic - I don't think I'd want to be relaxing in one of those beach chairs when that weather hits! It feels as if everything is just waiting for something to happen. A quite dramatic image to me, with lovely colours.

So to to some choosing ...

... choosing any winners in a comp like this is really just an expression of personal preference and nothing more since there are so many good and enjoyable shots to choose from.

1st - jchorst

Your image is just so carefree and fun and comes closest to the theme, I feel.

2nd - Dieterson

Very beautiful and tranquil, this is a gorgeous image.

3rd - noelcmn

A really well caught moment, not at all easy to do, with lovely colours and framing too.

And following on I'd make special mention of the images from gabeH, gdneil, mtux, JulieB and charliezap.

Thanks again everyone. So, over to jchorst for next week's comp ...

Last edited by mecrox; 08-06-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Views: 2,512
08-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be a winner in my book, nothing says "holiday" quite like sand on the feet! Great shot, great composition. Congratulations, and extended to my fellow placed Dieterson for that evocative shot. mmmm... would love to be on that boat! Delectable green with a bit of color splash. And of course the HM's gabeH, gdneil, mtux, JulieB and charliezap. Thanks for the 3rd spot, though I do not really know why that should be- so many excellent takes on the theme in this challenge. Glad I did not have to Judge. Great shots everyone, and thanks to Mecrox for an appreciated judging exercise. BTW, the DA 50-200mm lens does some amazing action shots!
08-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks mecrox for the kind words and analysis of every photo.

And, uhm... I can say that it was tequila in JulieB's photo...

Cheers!
08-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks mecrox for this great contest and your thoughtful remarks on every single entry. I feel extremely honored to have been picked as winner of this contest which displayed so many wonderful photos.

Last edited by jchorst; 08-06-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typo
08-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Congratulations to jchorst and all of the other winners. Great job hosting and commenting mecrox.

Tim
08-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #6

Congratulations to jchorst, and also to noelcmn and all HM's!

I can only agree: no entry said more "vacation" than jchorst's picture. And it did it in a creative way and with great summer colors, too!

So, a well deserved win! Great judging, mecrox, and thanks for hosting this challenge :-)
08-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Another week another fine challenge--congrats to all and to mecrox for a fine job of judging.---charliezap

08-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for your comments and judgment mecrox.
Congrats to winners.
08-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice works you guys. I think your images express the theme better than mine because I worked too hard!
I'll try to be lazier next vacation.
08-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations jchorst, Dieterson, and Noel, fantastic images! Greta challenge mecrox!