Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS Project 52 52-7-29- Close Up
Posted By: GrimWolf, 08-08-2015, 01:07 AM

Sorry again for the delay in this post, so without further ado, on with the results. I'm still new to photography and even newer to judging, so I will do my best with the comments. Apologies if it seems a little flat and short,

A good crop of photos in this weeks competition with great variety.

Bill2849: I like the balance of colours in this photo, It's striking without being overwhelming. Nice and sharp in the center of the flower, though a shame about the small bit of debris on the flower, I found it a little distracting. Good results all the same.
Photolady95: Nice sharp focus here, and great colours in this photo. I like how the pink and the white contrasts with each other.
Dickie: Interesting spider shot, I've never seen a spider in that kind of pose before. Nice sharp focus here, though I find all the bright green to be a bit distracting as it seems to overwhelm the photo for me.
Scomatic: This is an impressive shot of a dragonfly, from experience I have found dragon flies hard to photo, must have taken some patience to get this shot. Nice focus and colour. The background is a bit washed out, but sometimes that just seems unavoidable.
Mtux: Striking colours in this photo, though i find the yellow gets a bit distracting around the bottom and tries to take my eye away from the very strange insect (what is it?). Nice sharp focus on the insect, there even seems to be some reflection in it's tiny beady eyes. Could maybe do with reducing the brightness of the bottom edge of the flower in PP a tad?
Noelcmn: Nice delicate colours here, while the shot is very bright/white the insects show up really well against them being the only dark subjects in frame. Nice sharp focus on subjects so small. All in all, quite a striking shot.
Dieterson: This is a nice contrasting b&w shot, the details are showing up well. I like how the (hairs?) show up on the flower. The eye seems drawn right to the center focus of the photo.
ChristianRock: So many bright colours here, I find the sharpness and definition on the right hand flower takes my eye right where it seems it should go. great texture on the petals. I feel maybe the flower and the white in the background is a little on the bright side and could possibly be reduced in PP?

1st place:
Bill2849. I just keep coming back to this photo, I just love the colours and composition. Well done.
2nd place: Scomatic. Nice still shot of a hard to photo (at least I find) subject.
3rd place: Noelcmn. Nice insects, very striking.

1st place

2nd place

3rd place

Views: 1,356
08-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice of winner there, I agree, the colors are wonderful, as is the awesome composition. Congrats Bill2849 and extended to Scomatic for his shot of the dragonfly. Maybe a reduction in the size will give it more impact. Thanks for the 3rd spot, unexpected in what I thought was a strong field of competitors. Thanks for the judging exercise. Good job!
08-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

Congratulations to all the winners, well deserved!

Thank you GrimWolf for your kind comments!
08-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Well done to the winners, and thanks for the feedback, GrimWolf. I ummed and ahhed about a tighter crop - your comment confirms I should have gone for it! Thanks!

08-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Appreciate GrumWolf for commenting our photo... Congrate to Bill2849 and Noel... very nice shot, i had to admit that!
08-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congrats to Bill, scomatic and Noel for the great pictures!
08-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a great bunch of pictures!. I feel truly honored to have done so well against stiff competition. Congratulations to Scomatic and Noel for your wonderful photos.

08-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations!