Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #323 - WINNERS - "OBJECTS AT HOME"
Posted By: jchorst, 08-14-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks everybody for taking part in this competition. It was great fun to see how the theme was interpreted in so many different and fascinating ways. However, it's hard to decide any winners from those brillant entries. First of all, my comments:

Outis - A very intriguing, indeed somehow ominous, almost ghostly depiction of an everyday object (or rather its shadow). Great shot, and I love the black and white rendering. I'll advise my wife to beware of these things in the future.

atupdate - What a clean, unobtrusive vision of a bizarre combination. Fantastic dominant red.

Dieterson - Another somehow ominous image displaying an everyday object of the past. However, I feel that the ornamental curtain in the background, although fitting to the sewing machine, takes away a little bit of the atmosphere.

scomatic - Here we have an object at home which obviously fits the theme very well. I like the "technical" bokeh of some other devices (?) in the background.

K David - When I showed your picture to my son, his reaction was: "Cool." And that's what it is, cool like a film noir. To say nothing of the technical aspect, which is cool in itselfl.

mtux - A restrained and minimalistic, almost abstract shot, playing with associations, setting free the imagination.

smf - I have never seen an old tpye writer looking like a monstrous ruin after a fierce battle. A great shot, evoking feelings of fascination and trepidation at the same time. And it could only be in black and white!

charliezap - Another example of simple objects staged in a spectacular way. Beautiful colours, great composition.

Singstad - The extremely shallow depth of field gives your composition a beautiful surreal touch. Having said that, I feel your photo could benefit from just a little bit more sharpness.

Arjay Bee - I see a well chosen section of a glass paperweight conveying a deep feeling of serenity with minimal means. Breathtaking.

Julie B - Those are WR-lenses, I presume! Anyway, I like the deep bluish tone of your picture, although it looks randomly assembled. Maybe it could have done with a bit more structure!

jcdoss - Beautiful course of sharpness from glass to kettle. I hope everybody gets well soon!

noelcmn - You show us a very impressive picture of a person whose mysterious smile seems to express a sort of sympathetic omniscience, if I'm allowed to put it this way. Devouring black, beautiful colours.

RollsUp - Considering all those bird photos I think it's a very clever, tongue in cheek approach to chose an empty feeder as subject. Beautiful bokeh.

As mecrox aptly pointed out last week, choosing any winners is really a case of personal preference. However, it's time for the drumroll...

3rd place - Outis: The conversion of an innocent laundry basket into a dangerous looking thing takes some beating.

2nd place - Arjay Bee:
The serenity your photo evokes is simply irresistible.

1st place - smf: Your photo is the one which amazed me the most.

smf, take over!
Views: 2,471
08-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Stu, Arjay and Outis. Thanks for hosting jchorst and for commenting on the entries. Nicely done everyone.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 08-14-2015 at 12:08 PM.
08-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone, and congrats to the other winners and everyone who submitted!
08-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Stu, ArjayB and Outis, good choices there by our judge. Fancy an old typewriter giving such an eerie shot! Great stuff. Thanks Jchorst for a wonderful challenge and for the judging exercise. Another fab set of images for this challenge.

08-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much, jchorst, for first place and for your comments on my entry and the others. Thanks to all for your entries and for the congratulatory messages.
I'll soon post a new thread.
Best wishes to all!
Stu
08-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you for the gong... fun to read your comments jchorst and compare to my reading of the images. Well done all.

Look forward to the next theme smf.
08-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats to all and to a fine job of judging.--charliezap

08-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

congrate to the winner here... and thanks for taking time on comment my photo too.. thanks.. anyway... It used to be in Bokeh challenge picture before... haha..
08-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Stu, I knew that was a winner when I first saw it. Well done also Outis and Arjay!
08-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #10

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks for the comments on the entries! :-)