Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #324 — A Different Approach
Posted By: smf, 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM

I an honored to have been selected as judge for this Weekly Challenge.

"A Different Approach" means that the image you enter is not the first image you captured or processed — or thought you would capture or process — of the subject. Perhaps:
• the angle is different,
• you deliberately overexposed or underexposed,
• you returned at night to a subject you saw during the day,
• you used significantly different processing than you originally intended or attempted,
• or something else.

Please state and explain your different approach, what prompted you to attempt it, and why you prefer it (if you do) to the original approach.

I plan to judge on the basis of quality of the image, with the possibility of bonus points for what I think is originality.

The topic was inspired by William Neill's article "Variations on A Theme" on pages 36-37 of the March 2015 issue of Outdoor Photographer, which I hope you can read at this link:
Variations On A Theme | OutdoorPhotographer.com

This contest will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time, USA) Saturday, August 22, and be judged (barring complications) on Sunday, August 23.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax/Samsung-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Have fun, and best wishes!

Last edited by smf; 08-15-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fix typo
Views: 5,225
08-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'm just in time. Don't often do Low key shots, but this young lady gave me an opportunity to try it again, given that the background was all clutteredm even her hair, just a little visible, adding to the chaos.

08-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seven hours and a bit more than 20 minutes remain, friends.
08-22-2015, 03:55 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

After a few hours watching trains and WW2 re-enactors at a "Christmas Leave" event on the Watercress Line, just as everyone was leaving, I spoted "Smart Aleck" the Spiv who was iighting up one of his woodbines....taken with my K3 and a DA 50MM f1.8
08-22-2015, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Macro

we go fro and then we come back to until one day we find ourselves, stinger up, on the side of the road.

Attached Images

08-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This competition has closed.
Thanks to all for the entries and voting.
My comments will be posted later in a new thread.
Respectfully,
Stu
08-23-2015, 03:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Past week in Amsterdam Sail 2015 took place. I went there early to beat the crowd and to be able to walk around without 600.000 in front of my nose. Fortunately i succeeded in that.
Being early gives a nice possibility to "play" with the sun, which I did in this picture.
It was taken facing the sun.

K3 + DA* 50-135mm
F16 at 1/100th at 50mm