Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winner - Weekly Challenge #325 Emotions
Posted By: atupdate, 08-31-2015, 11:38 AM

I thought I would use a slightly different methodology for judging, at least for me, and use my emotional response to the image as the primary factor in judging. The more complete or thought provoking the story, the stronger my response should be, even if my emotional interpretation differs from that of the image owner.

Gomez: Jubilation – The first place my eyes lock is on the out of focus boy with his arms raised. It took a little bit of time to find the man in the background that is sharply in focus. The look of jubilation, though out of focus, is very clear to me.

K David: Affection – Although Mark’s eyes are not visible, it is very easy to see he is focused on Buddy. This image more than shows how much Mark cares for Buddy.

SpecialK: Irony – a public display of affection that indicates that fidelity might not be a long term investment for this couple.

ramseybuckeye: Consumed – The man looks like he is totally consumed by the music. He also looks like his intense reaction to the music might be aided by something he consumed.

mtux: Solitude – There are other feelings that could be assigned to this image like depressed or lonely. But I relate to finally finding a moment at the end of the day to decompress and enjoy the quiet.

charliezap: Reflective – I agree with you 100% on the emotion/feeling in your image. This image requires no explanation.

jchorst: Desire - I also agree with you 100% on the emotion/feeling in your image. The tippy-toe reach sells this image.

zantaphia: Exhaustion – I love your title for this image but What is not an emotion/feeling. What I see is a runner that gave his all and is trying to catch his breath. There is pain and exhaustion in that face.

StephenHampshire: Determination – This clearly visible in the face of the rider and the horse. The flare of the nostrils and the eyes fixed straight ahead, you guess which one I’m talking about.

scomatic: Protective – Some people might think that the dog is focusing on a treat and that may be true. However, there is no look of desire in the eyes, just a look of “you better be careful what your next action is”.

rod grant: Pleased – She definitely looks pleased either with the result or with the fact that she has obtained the object of her desire.

Dieterson: Longing – The look of longing is very strong in this image. Longing for the leaves that you talked about or longing for freedom, just beyond the wire enclosure.

whk1992: Intensity – From head to toe, it is obvious that the pitcher is giving 100%.

noelcmn: Suspicion – To me, the eyes staring directly at you are saying “what are you looking at?”, “what do you want?”, “you don’t belong here”. There is no doubt the artist felt alienated from the world around him/her.

noelpolar: Alone – Alone in his travels, just passing through. No family remaining and thus no reason to stay. An image with a strong message but many interpretations.

AyaSora: Focused – Sheperd breeds are famous for paying attention to detail. The eyes show that something has caught her attention and just might be the photographer.

travelour: Boredom – An animal longing for something exciting to happen. Every person that passes by brings hope of something different but at the end of the day, everyone is the same.

Dan Rentea: Joy – The joy of having family. Receiving love from one of those that you have loved since the day they were born.

mahbar: Pride – I see this image as one of a mother proud of her son. This look transcends the event in my opinion, as I’ve seen this look at soccer (football) games and even the first day of school.

Hattifnatt: Love – This image not portrays a story of welcoming in the New Year. It also says I missed you, glad you are home, I want to spend forever with you.

thix2112: Agony – It might be cliché but the other runners in the photo convey a long hard-fought battle that was not meant to be.

alamo5000: Suspicion – To me, the eyes are saying similar things that the eyes in noelcmn’s image are saying.

ImageCircle: Vulnerable – I can see vulnerability in this image. Not vulnerability like defenseless but more like unsure of himself.

gdneil: Absorbed – this image does say reflective but I relate more to the “starring off into space – not thinking of anything in particular” look in her eyes. I don’t reflect nearly as often as I do a thought dump when placed in a quiet environment.

Arjay Bee: Multi-tasking – If the phone were pointed the other way (I think it needs to be pointed the other way to take a selfie), I could see the vanity. However, I believe he is surfing the web, reading texts, or just filling in time.

JulieB: Joy – I see pure joy in her face upon hugging a long lost friend.

Now on to the announcing the winners:

3rd Place: noelpolar – I truly would like to know the real story here. Is he just passing through, taking a short cut? Did he pay last respects to someone before he moves on? Did he stop to rest under a shady tree and now it is time to move on?

2nd Place: Tied between jchorst and thix2112 – in one the face tells the story and in the other, no face is necessary.

Winner and the host of the next challenge: mtux – This image really speaks to me as a self proclaimed introvert.

Thanks to everyone for the great entries. This was one the toughest challenges I've had to judge.

Tim
Views: 1,736
08-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks to the judge and congratulations to winners and all who entered the challenge... all photos were great. Mehrdad won with a stunning image.
08-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a great challenge and great winning photo, well done Mehrdad, and also noelpolar, jchorst and thix2112! Wow Tim, I enjoyed your comments as much as the photos. What a great way to judge this category! Well done all!
08-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, atupdate, for second place and for this emotional contest which brought out some memorable pictures, to say nothing of your revealing comments. Congratulations to the other winners and everyone who contributed. Special thanks to Mehrdad for one unforgettable photo!

08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Arjay Bee: Multi-tasking – If the phone were pointed the other way (I think it needs to be pointed the other way to take a selfie), I could see the vanity. However, I believe he is surfing the web, reading texts, or just filling in time.
Thank you for the comment and always enjoy your comps - and MTUX pictures are worth waiting for on all threads he contributes in...

The guy using the phone in my shot was using the 'mirror' app to see what the other guy was doing - I should have changed my position to portray this (but mine was a candid - many better in this competition).
08-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wow, thank you, there really were lots of stunning shots in this challenge, and I'm honored to be the selected one.
Thanks Tim, for a very interesting challenge.
Congrats to Noel, jchorst and thix2112 for worthy shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
and MTUX pictures are worth waiting for on all threads he contributes in...
OMG, that made my day.

I'll come up with a new challenge in a few hours.
08-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

mtux... another winning.... great shot~!

08-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

New challenge is up.
09-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats all!
09-01-2015, 06:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations to mtux for the 1st place, to the runners up, and to all others for great contributions!
And thanks to atupdate for hosting, commenting and selecting this interesting theme!
09-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Congrats to all the winners in the emotions challenge. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.--Charliezap
09-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #12

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to atupdate for hosting this challenge!