Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #329 - Dilapidated Buildings
Posted By: UncleVanya, 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Urban or suburban, rural or metropolitan - it doesn't matter. I want to see decaying, weathered, worn out buildings. Nothing that gets you in dangerous situations mind you - no pictures from inside a building about to be blasted! The peeling paint and weathered boards - cracked stone and rusty steel are appealing if presented right. So blow me a way with your dying building shots.

FYI, the challenge ends on October 5th (7 days for submissions and 1 day for judging).

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Examples:

Views: 5,972
10-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You guys rock. This is going to be hard.

10-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not the first unfinished castle. There's one in Toronto started by a shoe magnate whose business went bust (Casa Loma). There's an elaborate one in the Thousand Islands (St. Lawrence River), specifically on Heart Island (Boldt Castle). Incredibly elaborate affair with a separate guest castle and a massive "garage" for housing a yacht a short way off. Then his wife died and he just left it unfinished. There's another on Pollepel Island (AKA Bannerman Island) in the Hudson River, NY. It was built by an eccentric, clan-proud Scottsman as a place to store a massive amount of munitions and black powder as well as an extensive collection of historic weaponry. In the mid 20th century it came into possession of N.Y. State. Then i think - in the 1960's - a mysterious fire burned everything burnable and left the outer stone walls treacherous. With no one willing to put out the massive amount of money for stabilization much less repair or restoration, the island has remained strictly off limits and allegedly a very dangerous place to visit on the sly because of the elaborate crumbling walls (not a right angle anywhere, according to descriptions).

ADDED A FEW CORRECTIONS

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.
10-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A real interesting challenge. I have several photos that could fit in this category, but we were going to Clarksville, Tennessee this weekend so I decide to get something new. Saturday morning I headed into the countyside around Clarksville and found this barn, I saw it sticking out of the brush as I drove by and had to back up. Unfortunately the skies were a gloomy gray all day.

10-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The fifth is the last day to post an entry... keep them coming.

10-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #50

Open House

I pass this house on my way to work. I’ve wanted a good reason to go investigate this a little more, up close and personal; this challenge gave me the reason to do so. Its amazing that the framework of this house is still partially standing given the walls are gone, its open to the environment like it is. I can only imagine someday this will finally implode upon itself.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The contest is now closed. I will be reviewing the images today and posting results. Thank you all for the wonderful images. The decision isn't going to be easy.
10-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I beg forgiveness... I was overly tied up with work and family and could not give this the attention it deserved today. I will announce the winner tomorrow.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
10-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I beg forgiveness... I was overly tied up with work and family and could not give this the attention it deserved today. I will announce the winner tomorrow.
No problem, Take your time Brad.