Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #329 - Dilapidated Buildings
Posted By: UncleVanya, 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Urban or suburban, rural or metropolitan - it doesn't matter. I want to see decaying, weathered, worn out buildings. Nothing that gets you in dangerous situations mind you - no pictures from inside a building about to be blasted! The peeling paint and weathered boards - cracked stone and rusty steel are appealing if presented right. So blow me a way with your dying building shots.

FYI, the challenge ends on October 5th (7 days for submissions and 1 day for judging).

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Examples:

Views: 5,975
09-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Not a lot of old buildings in my collection either so in the interests of participation I humbly submit a picture taken by my dad with a Spotmatic and 35mm f2 lens a Andrew Wyeth tribute taken in the 1970s. The subject in the image is his able bodied niece, my cousin.

I scanned the slide and cleaned it up recently. Not for competition.

09-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting - what city?
Sankt Poelten, Lower Austria. It is located in a nice neighbourhood, with a lot of nice, old houses. Next to it is a little park close to a river where we go for a walk quite often. We always think what a beautiful home it could be.
09-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one has gone past the stage of "weekend fixer-upper." I doubt any realtor would have the chutzpah to call this a "handyman's special."

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:14 PM.
09-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
these came from Flickr - if you click on them they should take you to the original post.
Stunning images sir. You've been all over.. under the city... above the city... I truly love the ones where you are holding an old photograph over the identical scene.

09-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Stunning images sir. You've been all over.. under the city... above the city... I truly love the ones where you are holding an old photograph over the identical scene.
To be clear none of these are mine. I'm just as admiring as you. Found these on Flickr with a license that allowed sharing.
09-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fore River Shipyard Is Closed

The Fore River Shipyard was once a major economic engine of the So Shore of Massachusetts. It has been closed for many years, just not competitive with foreign ship builders. This is the former main administration building. Taken at mid-day unfortunately, but you take what you can get.
ISO 100, f/11, 1/100, K-3 with a Sigma 17-70 mm zoom at 28 mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-29-2015, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Imperial

A detail from the Imperial cotton mill in Blackburn, although a listed (protected) building it is slowly but surely falling apart, a sad end to the glory days when 'cotton was king' in Lancashire.

09-29-2015, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Part of the Silver City ghost town in Yukon

09-29-2015, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

oh this was a tough one, we seem to have a lot of dilapted buildings around here, lots of abandoned mental hospitals. But I think I find this building the most interesting. Because I don't know what this building was or how long it has been there. It is on site of a national civil war battlefield.

Last edited by Murfy; 03-10-2016 at 08:03 AM.
09-29-2015, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #25

The Domes of Casa Grande, AZ. These are concrete domes covered in polystyrene foam. they were built in the mid 80's as a printed circuit board manufacturing facility, but were abandoned soon after construction. only the UFO was used a office building for a few months.
Attached Images

09-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys rock! I'm so glad I picked this theme! Picking a winner is going to be hard.
09-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #27

Electric Power Plant

An abandoned building related to the local electric company. All of the surroundings are covered with wild vegetation.
Attached Images

09-29-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #28

i can't write posts. Schroeders workshop. Berdyansk, Ukraine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH WG-M1  Photo 
09-29-2015, 07:14 PM - 3 Likes   #29

I passed by this old stable for two years on the way to and from work, just though there would be some thing to photograph. There was no way to park near by and it was posted, so I had to walk 45 minutes through the woods to sneak in.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
09-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Keep those pictures coming, this will be a hard one to judge.