Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
POTW #16 - Shots from 06/15/08 - 06/29/08
Posted By: maxwell1295, 06-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Here we go again with POTW #16

Feel free to post any topic you enjoy that was photographed between June 15 and June 29.

Rules as before:
1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days <Sunday Date> to <Sunday Date>
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295

I'll start it off with a candid/portrait of my step-daughter, Rebecca.....laughing at one of my lame (her word) jokes.

Views: 13,311
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ha-ha Nice shot Alan nothing like being patronized by the Kids (been there done that!)

Here are a few from a Trolley Car ride on Saturday. This Trolley left Old Strathcona, over the High Level Bridge, down to Jasper ave and back. The tracks are owned by CP back from the days when trains actually went over the bridge. The bridge and tracks were built in about 1913; it was a nice piece of history. Now this trolley is the only thing that uses the tracks.

This is one of those things locals (like myself) never seem to get around to doing. $4.00 round trip was well worth it.

Some converted to BW for effect. Click on image for larger view

The tracks at the start

Inside the Trolley - this car was pruchased from Austriala back in the early '80's actually

A view of the tracks on top of the bridge

Our conductor

A view of the City from the Trolley

Some of the tracks were a 'tad' grown over - actually on this section we met a mom and her young son. We stopped and she was scolded for walking on the tracks. In her defence she said she did not think they were used. Looking at this picture I would have to agree with her.

Finally a fiseye view of the end of the tracks - a 7 minute stop and back to where we started (taken by my wife the istD)

Last edited by daacon; 06-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.
06-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shots, Dave. I really like the BW shots, especially the shot of the elevated tracks. Looks like that trip was definitely worth the $4.00......especially given the price of gas these days.
06-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OK, in about 2 minutes, I'm going to repost this shot in the regular photo forum.

06-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This needs work. I'll eventually get this right.

Shot with a Spotmatic using a Super Takumar f/3.5 35mm, Fuji Superia Reala.

06-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Alan that is no great shot! Love it

Dave so enjoying seeing what you have been up to

woff, I sure do like that pic

jshurak nice bridal shot

Here is one I did today
Since my car show was canceled I had to do somthing, right? lol

06-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Here we go again with POTW #16

Feel free to post any topic you enjoy that was photographed between June 15 and June 29.

Rules as before:
1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days <Sunday Date> to <Sunday Date>
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295

I'll start it off with a candid/portrait of my step-daughter, Rebecca.....laughing at one of my lame (her word) jokes.

I just have to say your daughter is beautiful and this is a wonderful portrait of her!

06-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I dont want to cheat but the attached photo was taken some months ago, but was completely different to what I created from it yyesterday.

Dave: that looks like some ride. Would be very enjoyable. Great series of shots.

Rosemary : simply love the kettle.

I call this : FLORAL BUTTERFLIES
Attached Images

06-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jshurak - Lovely bridal shot.......you've definitely left us yearning for me.

woof - Wonderful shot and a really good scan to boot.

RM - The cancelled car show didn't slow you down at all. I love the way you've captured the different textures and colors in that shot.

LaRee - Thanks for the compliment (I'll pass it on). She's also a great student (HS junior). Now, if we could just get her to put the dishes in the dishwasher...

Bramela - Perfectly titled. It really looks like they're floating on air...
06-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spent a good part of yesterday doing some product shots for a buddy of mine. His company manufactures motorcycle apparel. The majority of his products are made of leather (he also has a sportswear line), but lately he has been working with other materials. Here are a few test shots taken while I was adjusting the power level on the flashes. Shot with Sigma 17-70...

06-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Jeff - a unique pose of the Bride I like it

woof - not much wrong with that - the trees on the right had side (facing the picture) seem a little soft but I like it. I assume a pano and I can see no obvious stiching errors.

Rosermay - thanks for the comments - Saurday was a full photography day and the weather was great for a change. Nice tea pot - is that brass ?

Bruce - I agree good title and nice PP I wonder what the orignal looked like ?

Maxwell1295 - that is a great prodcut shot. I assume those are crops - nice detail in the glove - I dont' ride but after seeing these shots heck I want a pair
06-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Dave......the last 2 shots were "macros" shot up close at 70mm. One of the many reasons I love the 17-70 is that it allows you to get really close throughout its range and it's very good at both 17mm and 70mm.
06-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Dave, nice trolley ride. Enjoyed it fully. I like the feeling of a timeline in your series. As a "people person" I really like the shot of the conductor a lot. I'm guessing that if you did a nice 5x7 or 6x8 of that and made a trip to give it to him you'd have a friend for life.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
woof - not much wrong with that
You are most kind Dave.. On the other hand...

...the trees on the right had side (facing the picture) seem a little soft but I like it.
Yes. Actually all of it was a little soft. Seems my eyesight is going. I'll get this right eventually. I really want to get it on film if I can. Just bought a PZ-1 so now I have an AF film body to help me out a little.

I assume a pano and I can see no obvious stiching errors.
Yes. Two photos. Scanned and stitched. Some PP for sharpening only. That is a fair representation of the colors at that time of the morning. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

woof
06-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Decided to give the vultures a rest and get "small." The following were taken yesterday with my Tamron 28-75mm which just came back from warranty repairs for a slow iris. Seems to be working now.

These are Black-eyed Susan - Rudbeckia hirta. Family: Aster (Asteraceae). Habitat: fields, open woods, roadsides. Height: 1-3 feet. Flower size: 2-3 inches across. Flowering time: June to October. Origin: Midwestern U.S. Hand held photograph taken with a Pentax K10D and Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) on June 22, 2008.

06-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Farmers Market

Thnaks for the comments Woof - nice idea I may present a framed picture to him as we tend to get in that area once a week. Beautiful flower shot. The tamron does not get much from me anymore but it is a spectacular lens.

Why we get to that area often is the weekly Farmers Market

Click on image for larger view

Fresh BC cheeries ... well be there next weekend (BC) to get them even fresher

Homemade Jams ummm . This wonderful older Lady (a stereotypical picture of what you think a grandma should look like). We discovered her booth last week with a blackberry jam purchase - on this visit we opted for Raspberry and Banana / Pineapple Jams man these are good....

Of ocurse along with the fresh produce what would a Saturday outting be without a little more 'processed food' - as an fyi we were dissapointed with the Green Onion Cakes - however the french fires were terrific.

It was an insanely busy day this time (likely weather realted as it was very hot) , poor lighting and crowded making photography challenging to say the least.