Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
#335 - Reflections - WINNERS
Posted By: Dieterson, 12-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took a while. We have a ten week old daughter and she does her best at keeping my wive and me busy...

First of all, thanks to everyone who participated this week. I enjoyed a lot looking at your pictures and thinking about them.

Of course, naming just one winner from so many pictures that are great in so many different ways is not only difficult, but pretty much just not fair. But I had to, and I did. However, before I come th that, let me give you a few short thoughts on every picture:

charliezap:
A perfect reflection, almost no distortion. The upper part looks like a "normal" nature shot, the lower part like a computer-generated fractal drawing: pretty amazing!

brokeh?:
I like the contrast between the dense, dark trees to the left and right and the thin, bare tree trunks in the middle. The contrast is even stronger in the reflection.

tessfully:
Beautiful colours! The texture is awesome, does not look like a water surface at all. The leaves and little twigs reveal it. Must have been a hard task to choose from a trillion pics, but you did very well.

rod_grant:
I do not need perfrect sand beaches with the sun burning on a cloudless sky. I wanna be right there in your picture!

jchorst:
Simple yet elegant. It took a few times looking at yout picture until I noticed that also the candle holder is reflected in the window. I like discovering things in pictures. Nice colours and light.

Arjay Bee:
One would think the windows are flat, but still you have these beautiful distorted reflections. I like that you included some ventilation slots (correct english word?) in the picture.

simon_199:
Look how small and delicate the needle is! Great, creative subject, a homage to vinyl. Good depth of field.

RGlasel:
I like the different levels of (un)sharpness in the picture and the colours are very nice!

smf:
I like the light contrast in your picture. This place looks like a perfect place to escape on a hot late summer day. The brigde seems to be a barrier to the glaring sunlight, letting only soft colours pass.

SpecialK:
I like contrasts, and there are so many beautiful contrasts in your picture! The earth tones of the buildings against the blue sky, the bright reflections in the big windows against the smoother ones on the metal stripes, the old buildings against the modern antenna... beautiful!

RollsUp:
A nice winter scene, I wish we had snow here, too. The reflections are more subtle in your picture, but subtle is not a bad thing! They add to the look of the water surface, making the foreground more interesting without distracting from the ducks.

fg-one:
Simple colours, but (or because of that) beautiful. I can look at your picture and start to dream, what more do I want?

RubyT:
I like your picture a lot. It is kind of hard to say for me why, which is kind of unnerving me. Nevertheless, I really like it a lot!

atupdate:
More cars :-) In the first fraction of a moment I thought wow, what a fancy sportscar. Then of course I realised my mistake... What should I say, I just love illuminated things against a black background. Placing them on a mirror is a bonus. So, good job in guessing the judges taste!

jacamar:
Beautiful bright colours, the red and the green complement each other well. It would have been a nice picture even without the reflection, but with it it it of course even better.

colonel00:

Perfect reflection, the white stands out of the other colours. It is especially nice that there are no other pronounced reflections. So, the bird is accentuated twice, by its colour and the reflection.

K David:
I like your picture a lot, especially the surreal touch the mannequins give it. I also like the colours, very approbriate for the subject.

mattb123:
Wow, perfectly calm water makes for a great reflection. I do not know the original, but black&white seems like a good choice here. At least I like it as it is.

charchri4:
To quote myself: "What should I say, I just love illuminated things against a black background". Well, the same is true for black things against an illuminated background. Nevertheless, with the reflection and the shapes of the clouds your picture a slight abstract feeling, and that makes it even better.

Quartermaster James:
The railroad track is the only straight line in your picture, the only thing manmade. With all the dead tree trunks by its side, your picture seems like a metaphor how industrialization can destroy the nature.

Bruce Clark:
Perfect weather, perfect day. No blue on earth can be more beautiful than the one you captured in your picture! The greens and yellows aren't half bad, too...

geomez:
It is freaky, and it is awesome. Really awesome. Partly because it is freaking :-)

StephenHampshire:
The car alone a beautiful subject, but the reflections make the picture great. They are subtle but still present. There is so much to discover in these reflections! The only thing that annoys me is that I do not find you... ;-) You have to be there somewhere in these reflections, haven't you...

timb64:

The Bali tourist agency should pay you for posting pictures like this. Seriously, seeing this picture, who doesn't want to be there? Those colours... awesome.

JML69:
I like yout picture description: "Light rain at dusk". Oh, and, yes, one funny looking tree trunk floating around. Ah, never mind. Just bring an umberella and enjoy the evening at the water side :-) Nice picture! I do not know why a floating tree trunk fascinates me so much. Probably because it looks strangely alive... ;-)

voy-tech:
The mountain seems to glow, and so does its reflection. I like the snow on the ice which continues the patterns on the mountain and in the forest. Interestingly, the ice in the foreground seems to have a square pattern. What is this?

Hattifnatt:
Lucky shots are sometimes the best. This one is definitely a pretty good one. It is really a great effect, if you compare the picture with the original poster. I found out that the first part of the trilogy actually plays in Vienna, so the reflections de even fit to the story!

djb47:
What a great bokeh. I like the different reflections at hte side, in the middle and at the top. The glowing wire and its reflection are a nice contrast. Our ten week old daughter loved your picture - she starred intensively at it and laughed. Who am I to argue with this jugdement... :-)

ramseybuckeye:

Nice scenery, the spot from where you took the picture seems to be well chosen. I find your picture very atmospheric. the street lights are on, but not a single light is seen in the buildings; the weather, the reflections in the puddles, and how the rain seems to have washed away all living beings all adds up to a great picture.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the winners:

First Place and WINNER

tessfully

I just came back to this picture again and again. I love looking at it. I am amazed by its texture, looking so absolutely not like a water surface; andthen there are the leaves and little twigs that prove that indeed this is water.

Second Place

StephenHampshire
I like in this picture that the reflections are at the same time subtle and still very present in the picture (I can't describe it better in English). I spend a lot of time looking at the reflections, comparing them, discovering things. And I had fun doing so.

Third Place

K David / geomez
(in order of submission date)
You will have to share the third place, I am too tired to deside between your pictures...

K David
I just love the slightly surreal feeling, the colours, the light and shadows (especially those on the eyes!), even the clothes add to the atmosphere.

geomez
"Just" a freakingly fun picture. Nice colours, and I like the bright eyes of the girl - she has fun! And, of course, the picture is all about reflections, which makes it a worthy third place for me, too.

Views: 2,103
12-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not envy the task of judges. Thank you for taking the time to make such insightful and enjoyable comments. Appreciated!
12-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieterson Quote
voy-tech:
The mountain seems to glow, and so does its reflection. I like the snow on the ice which continues the patterns on the mountain and in the forest. Interestingly, the ice in the foreground seems to have a square pattern. What is this?
Thanks! Not sure why the ice created the square pattern - it's a frozen lake (Trillium Lake, Oregon)
12-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats everyone and thank you Dieterson for hosting and for the 3rd Place nod.

12-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Tess and all, great challenge and entries.
12-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to the winners. Well done Tess.

Thanks for the challenge Dieterson.
12-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great judging job, Dieterson between new baby duties.
Good job everyone. Congrats to Tess and other placers.

12-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Tess. That is a truly lovely image - I would have given it the nod too (if I had been the judge).
12-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good job on the judging, Dieterson. Congratulations to the winners.
12-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Good job on the judging, Dieterson. Congratulations to the winners.
Well done to Tess and a great job with comments for everyone
12-09-2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done Tess and looking forward to your challenge. Many thanks to the judge and to all who participated... I really enjoyed all the pictures submitted.
12-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow! I am very honoured Dieterson! Thank you for the win and also for taking the time to comment in between a busy baby and a busy life! Congrats to all who placed and mentioned. I'll post the new challenge soon.
12-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Congrats to Tess and to all.A fine job of judging. Looking forward to the new challenge.--charliezap
12-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Tess and all of the winners. Thanks to Dieterson for hosting, judging and commenting.

Tim
12-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #15

Thank you all for a great contest! Congrats to the winners!