Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS #336 - Bonds of " ... " (Tenderness, Friendship, Love)
Posted By: tessfully, 12-17-2015, 07:44 AM

Thank you to everyone for the outstanding images matching this week’s theme. I found each submission very emotional and engaging. It is really hard to pick just one winner as every picture has had lasting impact. As such, forced to choose, here goes, first a few words to express my appreciation.

Tim/atupdate: My Sleep Number is Mom – Oh my goodness, I can just sit and stare at this photo. As a “dog” person who has rescued many including three (since passed away) that looked just like your girl, your photo makes me feel really emotional. I admire what you do.

Susan/slowpez: Cranes – Lovely image! The colour of those feathers is exquisite and the pose really captures a sense of peace and tenderness. Love the bokeh and framing too.

Jchorst: Together – Nicely seen and captured. Love the silhouettes and the foreground in the negative space really sets up that bench and scene in a dramatic way.

Charlie/charliezap: Love Birds at Sunset – Wonderful capture through the windshield no less!! I do love that post and rope in there and the bokeh causeway in the background. The poses of the birds convey tenderness and connection.

Tamia: Together Even in Adversity - I adore this shot and I am so happy you shared your observations. Our birds have had a couple of tough winters too and I always marvel at how they can survive those temperatures.

Geoff/geomez – This is a really cool image and the abstract nature of the designs and prints in the sand draws me in. Love your black and white rendering… it adds drama and tension to a love scene that is at the same time peaceful and serene.

Cosmin/Hattifnatt – What an amazing photograph of a very dramatic and tension filled sculpture. Your choice of angle, the tall trees and cloud cover, the black and white all make this a powerful shot that does convey an unbreakable bond… both literally and figurative.

Bruce Clark – A very touching scene strongly conveying the theme of this challenge. You truly captured a gentle connection between this mom and baby kangaroo.

Outis: Elephant Seals- Amazing how much affection and closeness we can find in the “other-than-human” worlds. Excellent shot filling the frame and expressing a relaxed closeness.

RGlasel – Fellow Passenger – Wonderful shot! Love the framing - It is like I am eves dropping on a close relationship. The view is amazing and great use of shadow, light and lines.

Michael/Scorpio71GRG – You are so right and your image is an example of those bonds. That parrot is loving its head massage… very sweet. I like how you filled the frame and sharply captured the eye on the massage therapist!

Charlestm: The Need Each Other – I love everything you did with this photo. I feel it is brave both in content and processing (street photography is not one of my strengths and the selective colour really works in setting up visual tension). I also love the stories this image portrays: the reader and his beloved pup.

Matthew/Kellyboy: Down the Beach – Adore the high key effect, the little guy’s expression and wind tossed look of both father and son. Beautiful bond and lovely framing.

Noel/noelcmn: Parental Bonds – This is beyond sweet. Oh my goodness!! Baby is looking at its parent like this is the only Being in the whole world … the one who is going to love me and keep me safe. Parent seems to be reassuring baby that this is all true.

Rodney/Rolls Up, Another totally absorbing and incredible photo of parental bonds in the more-than-human-world. It takes my breath away. I also love the blues, and reflection, and ice and location. Gorgeous by all measures.

There is a three way split between Rodney, Charles and Matthew. Each represents a different type of relationship: Rodney’s, the amazing kinship in the more-than-human world; Charles, the human/animal bond; and Matthew, parent/child bond.

The winner and this week’s host: Rodney/RollsUp

2nd, Charles

3rd Matthew

And not to be left out our honourable mentions.

Tim: the bond between mom and pup is amazing but so is the not so visible bond; your bond to the endeavor of fostering dogs.

And Cosmin for a most unique and interesting submission

And there is so much we can learn from our feathery friends. I loved all the bird submissions, but Noel's really stole my heart.

and finally... human's romantic and best-friend bond as represented by RGlasel's peaceful and loving scene:

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Views: 1,648
12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations everyone. Rodney, I knew that was a winner when I first saw it. Well done. Thanks Tess for all the comments.
12-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Rodney, I knew that was a winner when I first saw it.
I couldn't agree more. I'm always am in awe of great photos taken in the wild. Thanks for hosting Tess and for commenting.

Tim
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That fellow near the Bering sea always has some stunning images here on the Forum and I admire his work very much. So am not surprised that he got a well deserved win here. Congrats Rodney, fabulous image, and reflection to boot. Extended to Charles and Matthew, and my fellow Hm's, Tim, Cosmin and Rgalsel. Thanks Tess for a wonderful challenge, and I agree, a lot of evocative images in this challenge and appreciate the comments and the HM. Now to await what that fellow near the Bering Sea has up his sleeve. Or should that be up his snow sleeve .

12-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tess. Congrats winners!
12-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Wonderful shot! Love the framing
Thank you for your kind comments! Congratulations to the winners, exceptional images!
12-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The winner and this week’s host: Rodney/RollsUp
I knew this is a winner, amazing shot. Congratulations to Rodney and to everybody who participated.... any many thanks Tess for hosting and commenting. Also thanks for giving a nod to my statue. I noticed how carefully you dug up the first names for everybody, I kinda liked that

Looking forward for Rodney's challenge.

12-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you all, it's an honor to have my photo picked as a winner. Thank you for hosting this challenge, tessfully. Congratulations to all the other winners and honorable mentions. I'll try to post a new challenge as soon as I can.
12-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to you, Rodney, for a touching photo which warms the heart. I look forward to your subject for the next challenge. Kudos also to Charles, Matthew,Tim, Cosmin, and Noel for your winning photos. Tess, thank you for your moving theme, for your kind words, and for a super job with the difficult task of judging. Your comments are always thoughtful and insightful, and much appreciated.
12-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Rodney. Congratulations to the other finishers and to the honorable mentions.