Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Project 52-8-1- Black and White
Posted By: noelcmn, 01-06-2016, 01:40 PM

PROJECT 52 - 8 -1 - Black and White

Welcome to Project 52-6 for the year 2016. Starting us off with an easy challenge, which I hope will get more Pentaxians into this challenge. We are already a tad late, but I hope you will join in the fun. I'm facilitating Project 52-8-1 (eight is the 8th year this challenge is now running and 1 refers to the first week of the challenge). For unknown reasons it has almost fallen by the wayside, and having personally benefited immensely from Project 52, I'd hate to see it disappearing and am therefore going to keep it alive. A special word of thanks must go to Scomatic for facilitating it last year, and to all the others that have done so in the past. Project 52 is a great place to learn and develop skills for a wide variety of subjects and conditions. COME AND JOIN!
I'll be the judge of the opening challenge.

Images for Project 52-6-1 are to be taken between Wednesday 6 January 2016 through to Sunday 10 January 2016

Here are examples of previous winners on Project 52.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/129-weekly-photo-challenges/1...ct52winner.jpg

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with
fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge, and in keeping with the theme/sub-concept.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-8 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current weeks
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT PLEASE DO NOT POST
IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-8.
10. The host (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

Join the fun!

Good luck everyone, and happy clicking!
Views: 1,591
01-09-2016, 01:23 PM - 3 Likes   #2

I think it is great that Project 52 continues. Thank you noelcmn for hosting Project 52 this year, and thanks to scomatic for hosting it last year!

I had recently not much time for photography due to the birth of our daughter, but this is a good opportunity to take pictures more regularly again. Obviously, if I have time, most pictures feature our daughter right now. So let's see how many topics of this year's Project 52 I can cover with baby photos

Black and White is a good theme to get started. Here is my contribution for the first week:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-09-2016, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
01-09-2016, 11:19 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

01-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
WOW! You guys are back with a BANG. FABULOUS STUFF!
01-10-2016, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it's a new year with new beginnings (especially for Dieterson!), and while I'm a lapsed P52 participant (life gets in the way sometimes!), I'm going to try and take part as often as I can this year, for the fun and discipline and camaraderie that these weekly challenges foster. Thanks for taking on the duty as facilitator again, Noel, and for picking a theme anyone can find a photo for. Thanks to you, too, Scomatic, for last year's hosting. Your fabulous example photos were always inspiring and a treat to look at.

Noel, you'll have a job on your hands with the previous posters' excellent entries. The only suitable B&W subject I could find from my shooting this week is this humble entry...

Journey of Exploration

01-10-2016, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better late than never.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not late at all. Be judging this in the morning, about 12 hours hence. The idea is that the challenge closes at Midnight in your time zone.
01-10-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Happy New Year everyone!

It's a new year with new opportunities, and new efforts to participate more with this challenge!

Here's my first effort, taken yesterday while we watched the Chiefs dispatch the Houston Texans (Go Chiefs!).

Cleaver and Cork taken with Pentax K-x and Pentax-M 50/1.4 by Jason Doss, on Flickr

There's a lot of top notch images already submitted here! You're off to a great start!
01-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I did not read the rules. My image was take too early to qualify.
01-10-2016, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is another attempt that meets the criteria I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-10-2016, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sphere with Fish

A recreation of Escher's Sphere with Fish in clay. I did not create it, but at least helped with a little math. In B&W, without color contrast, others like texture, focus, brightness come into play. A sphere with a single soft light and the different texture of oak, clay, enamel lend themselves to it, the lens allowed to experiment with unusual focus. Shot at F2.8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Challenge closed, judging up in a moment.
01-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Thank you Tamia for your kind words and also for your kind comment! :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Well, it's a new year with new beginnings (especially for Dieterson!)