Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS-Project 52-8-2- Colors- Blue
Posted By: RollsUp, 01-21-2016, 02:24 PM

A nice set of photos portraying this weeks Project 52 theme. Thanks for joining this weeks theme and making my judging all that harder.

bobphoenix - I really like the contrasting colors of the birds among the dead? shrubs. They make a bland scene look interesting and alive.
Tamia - Your entry reminds me of the old ice that used to make it's way down from the north each year. The green and blue ice that had it's sea salt seeped out of it over time. The blue also brings out the coldness of the ice cubes.
degral - Nice job in finding an abstract shot in blue. The different angles along with the blue color gradually both fading makes your entry very enjoyable to view.
noelcmn - Kind of hard to see the blue with the fly standing out. It does look like it's studying/inspecting the blueness of the railing though.
Dieterson - I can't imagine what type of blue liquor that is. The smoothness before hitting the glass to the splash is really cool. Plus the timing in your shot to freeze the liquor just it flows out of the glass is amazing.
scomatic - A nice photo of a cormorant on what looks like a clear, warm day that contrasts what the color blue conveys in terms of coldness.
jcdoss - Nice job in doubling up macro lenses to bring out the fine details of the scubber. To me, it doesn't look like it has a rough feel due to the blue liquid like globs on the fibers. Interesting.

1st place - Dieterson

2nd place - Tamia

3rd place - degral

Views: 1,468
01-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Dieterson! I would have picked your photo as well. I am very happy to get third spot. I have a lot to learn and right now, just finding a subject is my main challenge. The scrubber close up by jcdoss is really cool. I never would have thought of that. I really like this project 52 thread.
01-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, Dieterson! That is a fantastic photo, clear and sharp. Like RollsUp/Rodney, I wonder what liquor you used for that photo. You must have used a very high shutter speed for that one.

Congratulations Andre/Degral for third -- a well chosen subject for this P52. The view of a ceiling light helps to anchor the picture and give it definition. The discipline imposed by looking for a subject within the week allowed for the contest really is a learning experience.

Rodney, thanks for putting me on the podium, and for your commenting and taking the time to judge. I've seen deep blue ice on lakes, where the hint of fish swimming below gives it a magical feeling, but never saw sea ice like you describe. One day!
01-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yes, that would have been my choice of a winner too-very professional, photographer's control is magical. Congrats Dieterson, and extended to Tamia and Degral. Fine shots in this weeks Project 52. Thanks Rodney for judging and commenting. Always appreciated. Degral, glad you are joining the fray of Project 52. Its a great place to learn.

01-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done!!! As soon as I saw your picture I know it was the winner... Great Shot!
01-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

Thank you everyone! :-)
I was surprised myself how the picture turned out. I used a paper sheet against a window as background. So I had the background as a diffuse light source. My original thought was only to get as much light as possible on the glass so that I could use a high shutter speed. But I think in the end it made the liquor to look much better than without light from the back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I wonder what liquor you used for that photo. You must have used a very high shutter speed for that one.
The liquor I used is Blue Curaçao. I used 1/800 as shutter speed (with F2.2 and ISO1600).

Edit: and I just noticed that the EXIF shows the wrong focal length. Correct ist 50mm. I always forget to enter the correct focal length when I switch to a manual lens.
01-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

congrate to everyone...
Sight... i not even close to it... nvm see u all again in next challenge... hehe