Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  
#339 2015 (or: Who I Was)
Posted By: K David, 01-21-2016, 10:21 PM

Welcome to Weekly Challenge #339 - 2015 (or: Who I Was)

I threw my hat in the ring without any real idea of what I would do as my theme. So when I was tapped, I decided to hop onto the Facebook Pentaxians group and pick a theme based on the first photo I saw. The first photo I saw was from Wolf, and you probably know his subjects (excellent as his work is). Well, I didn't want to land in hot water with anyone, so I scrolled on to use the next photo as my theme idea. The next photo was from Lee Bodson. You probably see where this is going. So I scrolled on again. The next shot was from Bruce Walker. At that point, I gave up. Three shots in a row of women, clearly, the theme had to be shots of women. It was a sign. The theme this week is supposed to be Girls Girls Girls! And it almost was. But I decided instead to do a more introspective theme.

We are different people at the end of each pass around the sun than we were when it began. True, this is a running fact and each day it's possible to look at that day the previous year and see someone else, someone perhaps unrecognizable, staring back through the mirror of the past. We mark calendar ends differently in different cultures, but the Gregorian is the most common. And with that calendar having lapsed, many people use this month as a period to look backwards and reflect. This challenge seeks the same.

So I want you to pick a photo you took in 2015, make it one of your best (if not your best) shots, and give me a couple sentences (or more, I'll read as much as your write) about what the photo meant to you or how it represented your 2015. I'll be picking 50% on the photo and 50% on the narrative (I won't be grading on grammar or writing, but content and thoughtfulness, so write as you feel comfortable.) You can write something factual, or an artistic vignette, or even fiction (I won't know.)

Here are some samples to get your brain going (these are my top five photos):

Interestingly, this was going to be a sample photo under my original idea, too. This is my friend's daughter. She's a good kid, and makes summer softball games a good deal more enjoyable through her energy and general happiness. It's been interesting to watch her and her brother grow each summer over the past five years. And for a long time seeing how well she and her brother have turned out as they turn into older kids made me think that I could be a parent. And then I looked at my bank account and thought better of it.

Back in September I interviewed Eric Hedrickson for a forthcoming Pentax Forums article. (I know, I know, and I've seen each question about when it's going to be published.) Anyway, the day after the interview I had to grab an afternoon flight, so I took the morning to explore a random Knoxville attraction. I picked Old Gray Cemetery. I picked up my MX from Eric during the interview and used that and my LX, which took this photo, to capture the weathered marble statuary in the cemetery. I wanted films that captured the mood of the setting, so I used Red Dragon redscale (among others). I came away from the cemetery with a greater appreciation of how devastating the civil war was on the psyche of the South and this country as a whole, and my hope is that I captured it in a manner that reflected well on the lives of those buried there.

As I've been writing the astrophotography series for Pentax Forums (I know, I know, I've seen each question about when the next installment is coming), I've been taking astrophotos and pushing my own technical and creative boundaries. This was an early shot but my first intentional shot. I wanted an image of this water wheel with the big dipper in the background. It took some Photoshop work (I'll discuss how I made this image in the astrophotography series' sixth installment, if you're curious), but the end result was pleasing.

Walnut Creek's valley, under an inversion layer, traps smog and smoke like a cat with a wounded mouse. It holds it down, plays with it, lets it almost escape and then slowly draws it back into the valley. Only when the valley is ready and the winds change just so does the air clear and the dusty coughing ease. Night, after the sunsets behind the mountains and casts a red glow into the sky with a long, blue shadow stretching, like a bear before hybernation, does the valley reveal the depth and layers within the air.

Dumb luck. That's it. I couldn't see the greenness of the sky at the site. All I wanted was a shot of the pier, Vega, and smooth water with lots of reflections. From this shot I learned how much color night skies have when the shutter is open long enough, and learned to appreciate the value of an empty beach after dark.

Those are some examples from which you can draw inspiration, specifically to help get your brain rolling on ideas. My goal with each was to provide a different idea on what to write: a piece about context, one about a setting and how it affected me, one about how an image was taken, a vignette meant to capture the mood of the image, and a reflective piece.

The fine print:
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.
The Challenge will run until midnight January 29, 2016, whichever time zone you are in.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera (film or digital) can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by K David; 01-21-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Views: 4,477
01-23-2016, 04:33 PM - 6 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A long winding road.

In Flinders Chase National Park, Kangaroo Island, South Australia, on the way to the "Admirals' Arch" and the "Remarkable Rocks", two of the islands spectacular natural formations. We had just turned the corner and I saw this vista unfolding in front of us. Being short of time and with uncertain weather, I pressed on making a mental not to stop here on the way back. I did so and the weather was kind and after a short wait I was rewarded with a car driving past. To me this expresses one view of life. Ups and downs, corners and never exactly sure where we will end up. Since posting this photo on this site and elsewhere, I have been seen three others taken in almost exactly the same place and with almost the exactly same composition. The only differences being a) no vehicle in sight, b) car heading towards rather than away and c) a young chap on a skateboard just starting a thrilling downhill ride. I was struck with the thought that four people unknown to each other, could all be on the same path, each in a different way and yet stop and share the same thought.

01-23-2016, 06:32 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a selfie of who I was, late May, 2015. This was my second spring in Alaska, after having moved to Anchorage in late summer 2013. I took a few days off to wander around Denali National Park and Preserve. Denali is vast. The tundra is not the rolling grass covered hills and redwood wetlands of my youth. It is not the evergreen forests of the Pacific Northwest, or even the boreal forest found elsewhere in Alaska. It is permafrost, and low shrub, and the occasional mosquito. And I went out to become acquainted with it. It is not an easy land. The growing season is short, late May to mid September. Late May 2015, early in the season: sunrise around 4:30AM, sunset around 11:30PM; snow still on the ground; the wildlife thin and wearing ragged remnants of their winter coats; forage and wildflowers just beginning to appear. I spent a scant three days exploring, and took this picture early, around 6:30AM, the morning of the third day. I think it pretty well sums up exactly who I was at that moment in 2015. Other pictures from that trip are up on my blog: The Quartermaster's Reserve: May 2015
Attached Images

01-25-2016, 10:44 AM - 5 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In 2015 we were able to take our love for wild places to its extreme, making a long-deferred trip to the Canadian Arctic. We stayed in a small, mostly Inuit community (formerly a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Station, Hudson's Bay post and mission), and spent our days travelling to various beaches and islands in a 40ft. pontoon boat, dodging sea ice and following in the tracks of early explorers. Amazing to be able to experience such a vast landscape and its people and wildlife.

01-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excellent entries so far! Keep them coming. I'm looking forward to reading even more about everyone's images and years.

01-28-2016, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #20

The Future of Grace

This is one of my favourite shots, it is of one my favourite places to take photos (search for images of colourscape) and of my daughter, my favourite subject matter. I've shown the picture in it's original form and after I have pp'ed it into a piece of art that is now on my wall.

I always think of it as my daughter considering one of the many possible futures she has in front of her.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by superduper; 01-28-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Uncorrect spelling back to UK...
01-28-2016, 11:27 PM - 7 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not my best shot, but one I like very much, and chosen for several reason. one is that our country is in a grip of a severe drought, and affecting such a broad range of issues, economic and social. So that this image of water is designed to highlight just how precious water is. Another reason is that it highlights for me the creativity that comes with the demands of Photography, so often displayed by most photographers. This, from the Singles in Challenge, on a day when I had neither time nor inclination to do much and tried a few things., eventually hitting on on the idea of using a LED light behind this glass, with the tap running at full flow, with a spout to add movement and bubbles.
01-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We're into the last 15-ish hours of the contest. I'll do some judging tomorrow, so get your shots in quickly!

Last edited by K David; 01-31-2016 at 09:02 PM.
01-29-2016, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2015 marks the year I decided to join the Single In Club here at Pentax Forums. So in theory I should have many shots to choose from. But in reality even with a daily shot only a few really made an impression on me and changed me in some way. The shot below represents me in a way that I am not now. The shot lacks sharpness - I never took the time to fine tune that DA 35 2.4 to my K-50 and my own vision is filled with so many aberrations that it is hard for me to see problems like this until I get the picture on a large monitor - but I think the composition captured the subject really well. But the important thing is that this moment frozen in time is the first time in my adult life where I purposefully walked up to a total stranger and asked if I could take their portrait. It was never fear or shyness, I'm a ham, I think it was just that I wasn't sure of how to approach people without seeming like a creepy guy or something along those lines - but this shot marks the end of that attitude. After this when I saw an interesting person I simply asked, "would you mind if I took your picture?" and if they said they would prefer I didn't, I moved on. I find a surprising number of people are very willing to have their picture taken when approached in a confident and comfortable way - it puts people at ease and makes for a better photographic experience overall as well. There are still subjects i shoot without their knowledge because involving them would break the moment that I want to capture - but when I see someone with an interesting face or a great smile - I tell them why I want to take THEIR picture and see if they are willing to let me. And I find that working with them and giving them minor direction results in a better shot. So this picture marks a moment when I grew as a photographer.

01-29-2016, 08:58 PM - 4 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a photo I took of my daughter and her fiance last summer when we took a trip to the Outer Banks. It was a nice vacation because it was really relaxing, yet busy at he same time. We wer able to really balance getting to see a lot of places, but not rushing to do it. Photography wise, I was able to take photos that were thought out, not rushing to catch everything. I still took too many "snapshots", but ended up with more photos I actually like, ones that don't look like tourist photos, and deleted a lot less. Since then when I go somewhere I feel like I'm not wasting time and taking pictures just to get something on the card.

01-31-2016, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #25

2015 pretty much felt like I was going in circles, getting nowhere.
Attached Images

01-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for participating, everyone. Judging took me an extra day while I sorted out the top two. Here's a link to the winners:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/313059-weekly...ml#post3512199
02-03-2016, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member