Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
PROJECT 52-8-6- Camera related- BULB shooting
Posted By: noelcmn, 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM

Welcome to Project 52-8 for the year 2016. And we are onto Camera related images, and this week it is Bulb shooting. Not an easy one, but a good opportunity to learn on this one. I suspect we are more inclined to use the slower shutter speeds on modern camera's that range from 0.3s through to 30s exposures rather than the bulb setting, effectively meaning we are happy to leave the control to the camera rather than ourselves. Take back the control!

Images for Project 52-8-6 are to be taken between Monday 8 February 2016 through to Sunday 14th February 2016. Closing times is midnight in your time Zone.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with
fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge, and in keeping with the theme/sub-concept.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-8 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current weeks
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-8 and may not participate in the challenge.
10. The host (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

Here is the winner of the Project 52-6 on this subject

And from the Web some help and inspiration
How to Use Bulb Mode for Long Exposure Photography

Bulb Mode: how to get pro-quality shots in low light | Digital Camera World (with some added helpful links)

Good luck and have a happy click or two

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/313110-projec...#ixzz3zYF9HHVf
Views: 1,399
02-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless Noel intends us to shoot with bulb setting only at night, it can be used during daytime for interesting photos. I found an instructive article for anyone needing some help with daytime bulb photography: So you want to do Long Exposure Photography? In Daylight?

You can "remove" or ghost people or vehicles on streets, in buildings, etc. It can also be used to "smooth" water and create streaky clouds. A ND filter or two, or polarizing filters -- or a mix of them stacked -- will darken the view so a long exposure can be made without blowing highlights.
02-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is going to be the easiest contest to judge, ever, unless we get some entries!
02-11-2016, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Here is my entry...

url=https://flic.kr/p/D3VP37][/url]

02-12-2016, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #5

Souls of the Raspberry Picker
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

THIS is better! There's room for more...

Scomatic, I have NO idea what that picture is! Now you've got me wondering.
02-14-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Tamia... Sorry for need you the guess what is that.... hahaha...

Okay... now since the event yet closed and my chinese new year event was just started last week... And manage to capture few best moment when in Singapore... Picture taken nearby Marina Bay...

Noel... where are u?

02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Tamia... Sorry for need you the guess what is that.... hahaha...

Okay... now since the event yet closed and my chinese new year event was just started last week... And manage to capture few best moment when in Singapore... Picture taken nearby Marina Bay...

Noel... where are u?
Scomatic, which of the pictures is your official entry?
02-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

latest 1 will be my official entry...
02-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am here Scomatic, south of the Equator. A late entry, and hoping the Judge will accept my entry. Could not upload last night. When I got home, discovered there was no electricity in the whole suburb where I live, due to rather violent storms that lasted from about 17:30 through to 22:00, and which must have done some damage to the substation. Electricity was eventually restored well after midnight, by then I was dozing. Anyway here is my entry, and obviously need more time on this business of bulb shooting. Still I like the movement of the clouds captured here.
02-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I am here Scomatic, south of the Equator. A late entry, and hoping the Judge will accept my entry. Could not upload last night. ...
Accepted!

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
latest 1 will be my official entry...
All right, Scomatic, the fireworks/celebration it is. Thanks for clarifying.

Few but sweet selection of photos for this P52 guys -- great job!

This contest is closed now and I'll post results ASAP. Thanks for entering!