Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS PROJECT 52-8-6- Camera related- BULB shooting!
Posted By: Tamia, 02-15-2016, 07:16 AM

Though we didn't have more than three participants in this edition of P52, the photos were all top notch. Shooting in Bulb isn't as straight forward as letting the camera choose the settings, so a superb photo shot with the B setting is a sign of mastering the camera.

I thought all of the photos entered for this challenge were excellent -- though I'm still at a loss to know how you got the first photo (not for competition) that you displayed, Scomatic. Looks almost like a propane burner to me except for the magenta and red colors.

In any event, judging was not easier for fewer entries. Each of you did a fine job of shooting in B, but let me say something about each. (See each of the entrants' photos in the original thread here.)

Clemens/Dieterson I'm particularly fond of ghostly forms in long exposure shots. They give a sense of the purpose of a place, or how it's visited, and suggests the place's living core. The embracing figures near the left-hand door suggests happiness, tenderness, and affection, while the suggestion of movement along with a solitary more visible person lend energy. Overall a very successful photo. Well done.

Scomatic Happy Chinese New Year! This is a masterful night photo that's well composed and shot through with colorful lights. I really like how you've managed to avoid the bleed of bright color around the lines and shapes of light -- this is so often where similar photos fall short for me. So much is going on in this picture that it could overwhelm and confuse, yet it is harmonious and very appealing. Excellent.

Noel/noelcmn I really like this photo, Noel, the streaks of clouds and the star trails, the comforting domestic scene in the foreground, the colors, and all of it encompassed in the wide embrace of a fisheye lens. And so sharp! This really is a fine effort.

OK, time for the winners...

Second Place Tied between Dieterson and Noel, because I really cannot pick one as better than the other.

First Place Scomatic! The clarity and management of light/color win it for you. So next week the judging is in your hands!

Thanks guys for entering! Now on to shooting with our favorite lenses in the next P52.
Views: 741
02-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Scomatic-2nd time you've won for the Bulb challenge. Thanks Tamia for judging this one.
02-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winner! I found out about this a bit too late, and then realized that I really don't know about the Bulb mode on my K-5. I will practice in that mode from now on, coupled with my recently purchased Cokin variable ND filter, and be ready for the next time this challenge comes around.
02-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great bulb pictures and thanks for everybody to keep this rolling! Even if I could not submit anything, and may not for a while, I made a few attempts using a cable with 2.5mm jacks on both ends and a wire to keep the shutter open. Finally I had mounted my K-5 on the tripod in my usual last-minute manner and tried to change the DA 18-135mm lens for the DA 15mm (with a 49mm ND) but couldn't find the lens release button. Not there. Couldn't get slow enough for bulb without the filter. I found the button today but still need to send the camera in for repair, it pops out when a lens locks. I hope the next challenges will be "phone-compatible".

Noel, by the rules
QuoteQuote:
picture you post should be taken during the week
and the exif data, you were actually totally on time with your picture taken on the 11th and posted before the thread closed. No, I'm not a lawyer, just notoriously late and wondered about when to close the thread to judge,

02-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Tamia.... Thanks for help me judge it for this week... about "how you've managed to avoid the bleed of bright color around the lines and shapes of light", actually i was applied ND filter and slight PP it...

Noel... Yeah... Now we are even... 1-1.. LOL

Congrate to Dieterson too... great picture...