Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
#342: Glorious Glass
Posted By: LondonWombat, 02-17-2016, 10:54 AM

Glass plays such an important role in our life, sometimes we don't give it much thought. We use it to block the elements from our house yet let sunshine through. We use it to see better. It holds our drinks. We make art with it. And of course, we make camera lenses with it. Heck, millions of us tap and swipe glass every day and put it in our pockets.

Due to the transparency and translucency of the material, great lighting and imagery can be captured in a photo. In this challenge, submit a photo that shows how and why glass is the subject of the shot. Be it colour, shape, quantity, use of, reflective properties or whatever.

This contest will run from Thursday Feb 18 12:01am to Wed Feb 24 11:59pm

Many thanks to Tamia for running the previous contest.

I apologize in advance if I am a bit late in making judgments and announcing the winner.

A few examples below.

Weekly Challenge

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Views: 3,415
02-20-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Relative's Art Project

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
02-21-2016, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glass in Chrome

Name:  20160220PENTAX K-50-071-2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  337.3 KB
02-22-2016, 03:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Glass bottomed boat

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 02-22-2016 at 03:26 AM.
02-23-2016, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Margarita glasses -- empty :-((

Attached Images

02-23-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Down Under

This was taken with the A 50 1.2. Glorious Glass!
Cheers, Christoph
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-23-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #21

Looking through a foggy window.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-23-2016, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glorious glass in the raw

Some of the most glorious glass objects that I know are still being made using archaic crafts. While the oven is nowadays gas-heated (not wood as originally and coal later - still have seen that mess) and the slow cooling is electronically controlled, the basic process which the glassmaker employs, and the most important tools are still the same as hundreds of years ago. With a 'pipe' and molds made of pear wood soaked in water - pear holds the greatest amount of water among the hardwoods - he uses his lungs, hands and enormous amounts of experience rotating, blowing, cooling, forming the initially honey-colored blob of glass into shape. It's astonishing how this very manual process in a fairly dusty environment yields spectacularly clean and shiny multi-layered vases, luminaries etc.

Picture taken at Glasmanufaktur HARZKRISTALL.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great photos everyone. Contest closes in about 24hrs. Appologies in advance if I am a bit late announcing the winner. I'm a bit sidelined at the moment.
Cheers to all.
02-24-2016, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll go with a bit of creative use of glass. Been fascinated with glass that has so something ensconced inside it such such marbles or as this ballerina. It can be used for paper weights or as in this case, for decor on a table. Have several different ones in my collection, and don't usually miss an opportunity to take a snap if I have the camera with me. This in the home of one of my clients.

Last edited by noelcmn; 02-24-2016 at 06:47 AM.
02-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cameras down folks. Contest is closed. Many thanks to all who contributed some fine photos. Stay tuned for the winner.