Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-8-8- Lenses- Macro
Posted By: noelcmn, 02-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Welcome to Project 52-8 for the year 2016. The theme for the next couple of weeks will be lenses. We all suffer from LBA, at one stage or another. Opportunity is given to show off our lenses. We are onto Macro lenses, which can literally be just about any lens, excluding the ultra wide lenses. The focus though is on a dedicated macro lens. But any close-up will do. Also it is rather wide in scope, not just insects, as our examples below manifests.

Images for Project 52-8-8 are to be taken between Monday 22 February 2016 through to Sunday 28th February 2016. Closing times is midnight in your time Zone.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge, and in keeping with the theme/sub-concept.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-8 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current weeks
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-8 and may not participate in the challenge.
10. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

WInner of the Special macro Project 52-5-49

Runner up

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/314024-projec...#ixzz40sFhDm45
Views: 1,498
02-24-2016, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took this with my D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR lens.

02-25-2016, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much, Noel, for hosting and for the selection of theme and presentation of the images at the thread's start.

The image below is one of a number I captured using dead butterflies (which I didn't kill) photographed on a lightbox with a tripod-mounted K-S2 and SMC Pentax-M Macro 1:4/100. Some other images were captured with a 50mm lens and extension tube and/or Raynox 150 or Raynox 250.
Attached Images

Last edited by smf; 02-28-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Fix typo
02-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the pictures so far submitted. Rodney, what are we looking at? A form of sea life? A fungus? It's mysterious and interesting.

As a geologist I'm fascinated by the rock cycle whereby materials are formed into rocks, and how rocks are broken down into sediment. And because I'm working on a project about sand, it was natural to shoot a close-up of some...

Sand, Sandstone, and the Rock Cycle Pentax K5IIs, DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED @ 55mm, Raynox DC-150, 1s, f16, ISO 80, tripod. Cropped.

02-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shot too many images for this challenge, but will go with this one- shot with the Sigma 70-300 DG Macro lens. Pretty pleased with this lens (sometimes it pretty disgusting) despite its poor reputation among PF users.
02-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Inversion

Also I shot a lot, mostly staged small objects, with a variety of macro tools and setups. Thanks for the challenge, it provoked a lot of exploration and learning.

Finally I liked best what nature presented to me first after a long period of rain. I hope I don't get disqualified, as clearly the composition uses an ultrawide 'lens', which were excluded, in addition to the DFA 100 WR macro. I like how the tiny becomes the large and the large becomes the tiny -- reminding me of 'unity circle inversion'. It's way too early for anything except hazel to blossom and despite mild temperatures, there are no insects pollinating yet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

03-03-2016, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

How about this tiny spider? approximately about 2cm big...
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
How about this tiny spider?
A real beauty! Are you aware that this is last week's thread, awaiting judgement? This week's is https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/315410-projec...fty-fifty.html.
03-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Since the thread doesn't say it's closed, and the picture was taken during the time frame that is in the original post... here's one

I won't be mad if it's disqualified for not being real macro. I don't have a 1;1 macro lens. This is the kit lens at about 1:3. or so. These are tiny pansies, the smallest kind I know of.
03-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure where the Judge is for this one. I'll PM him.
03-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Not sure where the Judge is for this one. I'll PM him.
Thanks Noel

This thread is closed, results will be up soon!