Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - PROJECT 52-8-8- Lenses- Macro
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM

First off, sorry that this is late. Second, there are not a lot of entries, but the quality is huge!

Rodney (RollsUp): Interesting photo, I not really sure what it is, a fake or a real beast, but's done very well and has amazing colors. I like the way you composed the face, I think it's a face. It iis classically composed so the face is looking toward the rest of the space with the "ground" and the coral like object. Good stuff!

Stu (smf): Beautiful closeup of the butterfly's wing. Not only do we get to see the beautiful color and detail, but a nice bit of texture. Well done!

Tamia: I find this a fascinating photo, I've had an interest in geology since college days, learning how rocks were formed, experimenting with stream tables, and studying water erosion and sediments. This picture talks to me, and it is so crisp and clear. Well done?

Noel (noelcmn): The fly itself may be a little disgusting in person, but is is beautiful in this photo, well defined details and nice colors, I think the background and bokeh are truly outstanding. Marvelous!

JensE: I'm not a huge fan of flower pictures but thats because pics like this put mine to shame. This is excellent, with perfect focus and oof areas, we can see the great details in the flower, and the softness that works so well in a floral pic, and those water drops are just fabulous.

Architecture: Very nice composition of an ordinary steel item, I like the diagonal slant of the featured piece of hardware. You focused area is well done and the textures here are cool. Good Stuff!

David (scomatic): Excellent capture of this creepy little guy, which I only say because I don't know if it is venomous or not. Sharp and detailed, nicely done with the mottled shadows you had to work with. Marvelous!

ChristianRock: I'm even more impressed that you captured this with a kit lens, you got a lot of detail in the flowers and did a nice job balancing the exposure with such a spread of light and dark colors. Well done!

With out a large number of entries I am only picking one winner, every other photo is an honorable mention, well done all!

The winning photo was taken by JensE:Congratulations!

Views: 1,301
03-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

sadly didn't get this 1 point here...

Anyway... congrate to the winner (JensE), I like the picture of the reflection (water drop area), but the focus not in good line yet. Sorry this is only my personal opinion...

Thanks ramseybuckeye,for give me chances to participate although i'm late.
03-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations JensE. Great shot. That drop is exquisite. Thanks Tom for the judging exercise.
03-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations to JensE! And thanks to ramseybuckeye for judging and for the kind comments to everyone.

03-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tom (ramseybuckeye) for judging and comments. I was a little surprised as I agree with
QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
... but the focus not in good line yet.
I actually went inside after taking the picture, grabbed my tripod and set it up for a more stable composition - esp. managing perspective with the window/shutter/blue wall background - and for DoF/focus tweaking. It was only when I looked through the viewfinder that I realized I had shaken off the drop while fighting with the dense shrub to position one tripod leg in it I wonder if the image of the house is created purely by refraction, i.e. looking through the drop as a lens, or if reflection is involved. Too tired to conclude this tonight, I'll have to do some drawing but being upside-down it's likely the case.

So far it seems I have nothing to do for 52-8-9. Hope to see some more nifty-fifty submissions!
03-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, JensE, and thanks to Tom for judging and to all who posted images. Well done.
03-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Jens for your pretty flower with that perfect reflected droplet. Thanks for commenting and judging, Tom. On to nifty-50...

03-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

refraction - no reflection involved

Going back to basic optics to answer my own question - the droplet simply acts like a very short focal length lens, roughly 2x its diameter for a spherical droplet. Therefore the extreme wide angle, no reflection involved. The below shows the effect with a more moderate 'water lens', approximating a giant drop of water. Shot with my newest 'nifty-fifty', maybe the least nifty one, but the SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro (another example there) is likely the best corrected of all current Pentax lenses. Could have been my submission this week ...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations JensE! Thank you ramseybuckeye for judging and commenting on each of the entries.
I don't know what exactly that little sea creature is in my entry. The "face" is actually the side of a blue king crab shell.