Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNER - PROJECT 52-8-10- Lens- Prime lens/fixed focal lens
Posted By: ChristianRock, 03-14-2016, 11:52 AM

This week's challenge was very, very difficult to judge... as expected! And I still consider myself new at photography, so if I overlook any virtue or flaw, please forgive me...

Here's my thoughts on each picture...

Tamia - great picture! I like the counterpoint between the tracks and the box house, or whatever it is called. Great image for B&W conversion, so you picked very well for PP. If I had to pick one thing for improvement it would be little branch pieces at the top right corner, if they weren't there the image would look even better I think... Otherwise, great composition and a very well executed image.

noelcm - Also a great shot and the image works well with the fisheye. It makes it more interesting than it would with a regular wide angle, it seems. Maybe just slightly overexposed? Still great colors from the grass and building.

RollsUp - bokeh is what a lot of people use primes for and you your picture is a good example of it. The composition is also well done.

smf - another great example of bokeh, now from a super sharp macro lens... This one seems just slightly front focused as well... but the colors and composition seem just right, everything just blends so well, and the tiny drops add to the effect. Well done!

dakight - those reds are gorgeous! I like flower pictures as much as the next guy, and I know how hard it is to process those red hibiscus. The image is just slightly front focused but still works very well.

JensE - Your image tells a story and that's something I really appreciate in photography. Maybe the background wasn't the most beautiful but the image still works very well, registering a regular moment in the life of the kid. Great job!

ramseyebuckeye - Good composition and the clouds were a bit dramatic, adding a nice effect to the building picture. I can't help thinking this image would work a bit better in B&W, though.

scomatic - Monarch butterflies are always a favorite, and the lilac colored flower makes a great counterpoint to it. The colors are gorgeous, the bokeh is not distracting. Great job!

Since there's enough entries I'll select 3 winners...

3rd place goes to scomatic's butterfly - gorgeous colors!

2nd place goes to smf and the delightful colors of the Crocus bud picture.

And 1st place goes to Tamia's Tracks - just a gorgeous B&W picture!

Views: 1,003
03-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought that might get the nod, such a super shot,worth a long look to appreciate all that is there- vanishing point, mist, snow and mysterious box of sorts and as our judge noted, the B/W just adds another dimension. Fabulous, worthy winner imho. Congrats Tamia. And extended to smf and Scomatic. And yes, I only realized my shot was overexposed after I posted it, and I should have done a bi more on thePP. Thanks ChristianRock for the judging and commenting exercise. Always appreciated.
03-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tamia!, absolutely great photo, well done Stu and David too, good pics! Great job ChristianRock, and you said the photo I entered would do better in black and white, good call, much better.
03-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eeek! Thanks Christian Rock, not only for the top spot but for the comments. I agree with you about those branch tips in the upper right and could clone them out. Didn't even think of it. That box structure is metal and I believe it is the control station for warning arms that drop across the road that's behind me whenever a train comes through. Congratulations to Stu for your beautiful bud photo and to David for your lovely butterfly. Thanks also for the kind words, guys. Now, get your zooms mounted and bring me some pictures in the Zoom P52!

03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

congrate to the winner Tamia, smf and myself... hahaha...
Special thanks to outstanding comment provide by ChristianRock,