Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-8-13- Perspective - Low/frog perspective WINNERS!
Posted By: Tamia, 04-04-2016, 06:19 AM

First of all, thanks go to our dedicated Project 52 host, Noel (noelcmn), for his efforts in keeping the challenge running and for such interesting subjects for our lenses. Thanks also go to the photographers who enter and without whom there would be no challenge to judge. And a special welcome to new participants to the P52 challenge. I'm sure those who've been here awhile join me in saying we look forward to seeing more of you in future.

This Project 52 topic was "low perspective," or as it's sometimes called, "frog perspective." A web search on the subject brings up many fine examples of the technique to augment our host's excellent choice of examples. Because I'm judge this week and I particularly like this photo, I'll show one of my favorite low-perspective photos of eight-inch-high Dryad's Saddle fungi growing on the base of a large old maple tree:

It's a favorite technique of mine for exploring what's on ground level, but there are other ways of employing a low perspective than getting on one's belly, so I was very interested to see what you all would come up with. I wasn't disappointed with the entries this week.

One note before continuing. While it's widely viewed that a photo should be appreciated for what it is and without any explanations, I appreciate it when entrants say something about how they set up their photos and the gear they used. I learn a lot from that.

Now I'll comment on each photo in order of submission, and then announce the winners. (All entries can be seen in this thread.):

Stu/smf Purple and White is a delight, made especially so by the colors, texture, and water droplets. Crocuses are such optimistic flowers, blooming when it's still cold and often snowy, a harbinger of better weather to come. The low perspective here lets us get down and appreciate the blooms' beauty in a way that isn't usual from our towering heights, and the out-of-focus flowers in the background provide context and enhance the foreground bloom. Well done.

Eva I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the bright reflections off the building in the background mimic the orientation of the dog's ears and frame his/her handsome face. A low perspective brings us down into the grass to share the dog's-level perspective. Those eyes are lovely and wonderfully captured, while the out-of-focus background tells us something of the animal's life. Including that high-rise along with a tuft of grass in the foreground suggests the dog is enjoying a moment of the wide outdoors after living inside four walls. An appealing photo that tells a story, in large measure because you've used low perspective to get down to the dog's level.

Rud Welcome to the forum and to P52! Crouching counts, yes! I'd say your first color attempt with a medium format film camera was a success. I really like how you chose to compose your triceratops. The use of a low perspective here makes the viewer a participant rather than an observer, in a way, a powerful image especially when first looked at and before reading your caption. Background vegetation provides context while creating a very natural setting which, when combined with the broken horns, could well spark a storyteller's imagination. Super photo.

Assa1 Low perspective, a wide angle of view, and a vertical format are all good choices here. The photo of static, solid buildings is given energy by your choice of composition, which is enhanced by choosing a low perspective. The angled structural elements combine with the vertical elements to create a bit of harmonious tension which I find appealing. Add to this the choice of shooting from the shadowy interior edge of a building toward a brighter background, as well as the deep, sharp depth-of-field and muted tones, and you've got a terrific photo.

Jens/JensE I'm fond of bees so your subject matter appeals to me from the start. You've engineered the photo with your usual careful thought and diligence to produce a photo bringing us right down to the bees' perspective. I believe you achieved your goal to capture a sense of deep perspective. Your choice of lens was wise for this purpose -- thumbs up for the DA 15 Ltd. Capturing some bees in sharp focus nearby while most are varying degrees of smaller size and out-of-focus above combines with the background trees and building (how it seems to tower above) and the a vertical format to create a dynamic composition enhanced by a low perspective. An intriguing concept realized. Kudos.

Noel/noelcmn Mr. Frog has a tough climb ahead. The low perspective, vertical format, and the proximity allowed by a wide angle lens combine to make the ladder seem as if it's extending the invitation of a challenge. The tree tops and roof ridges at the extreme bottom edge of the picture affords a hint of the surroundings, and makes the climb seem that much higher. Colors, composition, and sharpness are super, and the photo wouldn't be nearly as successful if it hadn't been for your shooting up from a low point of view. Excellent entry for this P52.

Tom/ramseybuckeye You couldn't get much lower in perspective without digging down into the soil, and your photo has a spirit of fun and games. Annie snuffles apparently unawares on the other side of the tree trunk, and I get a sense of anticipation, like a youngster would have in playing a trick on the pet. (Boy is she going to be surprised!) This is a fun shot, and one that portrays comfort and home embracing the dog. Great job.

So here t'is, the moment of truth. In evaluating winners, I looked especially for the effective use of low perspective and asked myself if this perspective enhanced the subject in ways that other points of view wouldn't. Here goes...

Third: A Tie Between Eva and Rud I simply cannot pick between them and both are evocative, right down there at a low point of view to be at the animals' levels.

Second: Stu/smf Definitely a frog's eye view here, right in among the "thicket" of emerging crocuses.

First and Next Week's P52 Judge: Jens Without a low perspective, could we see the underside of a swarm of bees returning to the hive?

Thanks again to everyone for participating. Looking forward to next week's challenge...
Views: 1,353
04-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Congratulation to you Jens and to all participants.
04-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Tamia for you great effort in the feedback to everybody. I'm happy that my picture resonates with others. It was much more trial and error than precise planning to get there; it took a total of 148 exposures and I think I went to my PC four times to check if I could post-process the way I intended to. Basically just black stains on my camera screen. I was all the more embarrassed this morning to see that, with all the excitement that it finally worked, the stick of my reflective umbrella sneaked into the frame without me noticing - thought it was a light post. My next personal challenge is to try to use flashes to freeze motion even better, but I need to find a composition where I can be much brighter than available light (maybe deep shade), yet at the same time have short flash pulses (~1/2000 s, need to measure duration vs. power) and still have a good looking bright background in natural light, something fully sun-lit. The ~1/200 s travel time of the shutter across the frame leads to ugly motion distortion with higher magnification, stretching bees in flight. Luckily, we have tens of thousand's of most of the time cooperating models.

This week's submissions really show a great level of experimentation/exploration. Assa1's super clean lines first reminded me of an architecture CAD visualization - great work in the composition, even though I still wouldn't like the place. Two others also caught my eye: The building behind Eva's beautiful dog portrait does not look like reflecting anything to me, do we look through something? Looks like a huge building, something like a roofed shipyard with just a net on the side to me. Appears huge, could of course be perspective distortion again, but it is hard to find the exif on photobucket. And I really like Noel's worn playground outfit - reminds me of my own childhood when things here were equally robust welded steel objects somewhat run down, not as 'safe' and fancy as today.

Congrats also to Rud und Stu - while showing very different scales, both are great renditions of this week's theme.
04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to JensE and thanks to Tamia for second place and for the detailed comments on the photos.
Nice work, everyone.
Best wishes,
Stu

04-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Jens- an enviable shot, though for someone like me-partially allergic to bee stings, that is a no no. Great shot, kudos for excellent timing on that one. And extended to Stu, and Eva and Rud. Such beautiful images in this weeks Project 52. And a hearty thanks to Tamia, for the competent judging and commenting on all the entries. Always appreciated. And thanks for the kind words about the facilitator- he's running late for the latest installment, it will be up in a moment. Was about to do it this morning when I got a call from a family in the congregation to do a pastoral visit as they wanted to reveal to their mom that their father and her husband had passed away last Friday- they did not want to tell her until they felt she was good enough to handle that blow, as she is hospital. And from there day passed me by rather quickly, In any event, it'll be up in a moment.
04-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Jens, 148 exposures was well worth it, you may have had some frustration, but you probably learned a lot and ended up with a cool look while having fun.

Also kudos to Stu, Eva, and Rud, all really good work.

Excellent evaluations Tamia!

Another top challenge Noel!
04-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
rud

Congratulations everyone and thank you! This was instructive and inspiring. I really enjoyed Tamia's interpretations -- they certainly enhanced my appreciation of these photos and made me look at them in different ways. Looking forward to the next challenge!

04-05-2016, 03:11 AM   #8
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cngratulations to winners JansE,Smf ,Rud and all the participants.

Tamia thank you for your comments and review all photos.
04-05-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
...the stick of my reflective umbrella sneaked into the frame without me noticing - thought it was a light post. My next personal challenge is to try to use flashes to freeze motion even better, but I need to find a composition where I can be much brighter than available light...

...The building behind Eva's beautiful dog portrait does not look like reflecting anything to me, do we look through something? Looks like a huge building, something like a roofed shipyard with just a net on the side to me. Appears huge, could of course be perspective distortion again, but it is hard to find the exif on photobucket.
You only confirm the amount of effort you put into shooting your bee photo, Jens. I look forward to your future efforts with the bees (a favorite "animal" for me). I do have to laugh now because I thought your umbrella post was a lamp stanchion or flag pole in the background. As for Eva's bright area, it looked to me like a reflection on a textured glass-sided building, but when you mentioned your puzzlement, I looked again and now I'm not so sure. The OOF object in middle left is a bike wheel, I'm pretty sure, but now I see the shadow of a bike saddle and seat post coming up from the dog's head. Intriguing.

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
...And I really like Noel's worn playground outfit - reminds me of my own childhood when things here were equally robust welded steel objects somewhat run down, not as 'safe' and fancy as today....
Exactly so!

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Congratulations Jens- an enviable shot, though for someone like me-partially allergic to bee stings, that is a no no. Great shot, kudos for excellent timing on that one. And extended to Stu, and Eva and Rud. Such beautiful images in this weeks Project 52. And a hearty thanks to Tamia, for the competent judging and commenting on all the entries. Always appreciated. And thanks for the kind words about the facilitator- he's running late for the latest installment, it will be up in a moment. Was about to do it this morning when I got a call from a family in the congregation to do a pastoral visit as they wanted to reveal to their mom that their father and her husband had passed away last Friday- they did not want to tell her until they felt she was good enough to handle that blow, as she is hospital. And from there day passed me by rather quickly, In any event, it'll be up in a moment.
Oh dear, Noel. Our facilitator does a remarkable job here and an even more remarkable, and important, "day (and night!) job." Condolences to the unfortunate family who lost a love one.

QuoteOriginally posted by rud Quote
Congratulations everyone and thank you! This was instructive and inspiring. I really enjoyed Tamia's interpretations -- they certainly enhanced my appreciation of these photos and made me look at them in different ways. Looking forward to the next challenge!
I'm pleased you enjoyed the challenge, Rud, and hope you'll be joining us in future contests. The first time I had to judge a contest I had no idea how to do it. So, I emulated the person who had given me the honor of first place, and because her comments on each photo had helped me look more carefully at them, I carried on her technique for judging. I find that writing down my impressions of the pictures continues to help hone my eye and decide on the merits of the images. When I pass on the comments, you're just seeing my thought process. Also, doing this is a thanks to the people who entered, and it's also a thanks to other judges who've commented in other contests, and who therefore helped me learn.

QuoteOriginally posted by eva Quote
Cngratulations to winners JansE,Smf ,Rud and all the participants.
Eva, maybe you could let us know what it is in the background behind the dog. Is it a reflective distant building or a nearby wall, or something else? You have us curious now !

Tamia thank you for your comments and review all photos.
A pleasure and a privilege!
04-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #10
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
You only confirm the amount of effort you put into shooting your bee photo, Jens. I look forward to your future efforts with the bees (a favorite "animal" for me). I do have to laugh now because I thought your umbrella post was a lamp stanchion or flag pole in the background. As for Eva's bright area, it looked to me like a reflection on a textured glass-sided building, but when you mentioned your puzzlement, I looked again and now I'm not so sure. The OOF object in middle left is a bike wheel, I'm pretty sure, but now I see the shadow of a bike saddle and seat post coming up from the dog's head. Intriguing.

Exactly so!

Oh dear, Noel. Our facilitator does a remarkable job here and an even more remarkable, and important, "day (and night!) job." Condolences to the unfortunate family who lost a love one.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the challenge, Rud, and hope you'll be joining us in future contests. The first time I had to judge a contest I had no idea how to do it. So, I emulated the person who had given me the honor of first place, and because her comments on each photo had helped me look more carefully at them, I carried on her technique for judging. I find that writing down my impressions of the pictures continues to help hone my eye and decide on the merits of the images. When I pass on the comments, you're just seeing my thought process. Also, doing this is a thanks to the people who entered, and it's also a thanks to other judges who've commented in other contests, and who therefore helped me learn.

Eva, maybe you could let us know what it is in the background behind the dog. Is it a reflective distant building or a nearby wall, or something else? You have us curious now !

A pleasure and a privilege!

Behind the dog is place for store bicycles,wich is opend, just roof and side panel fence coverd with texture.

Last edited by eva; 04-05-2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: writting errorr
04-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Behind the dog is place for store bicycles,wich is opend, just roof and side panel fence coverd with texture.
Thanks for letting us know, Eva!