Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-8-15 - Perspective-Distortion WINNERS
Posted By: smf, 04-18-2016, 04:06 AM

Winners — Project 52-8-15 - Perspective-Distortion

Thanks to Noel for hosting, for the detailed explanation of what was expected in this challenge and for the introductory images.

Thanks also to everyone who participated.

With my limited knowledge of optics, I especially appreciate information about choice of lens and what the photographer tried to achieve.

Uncle Vanya — Your entry of the tree face demonstrates delightful and effective use of the DA 15 and software. Thanks for explaining your intentional stretching of perspective and that you used DXO Optics Pro 10 “to manipulate the contrast and emulate some obscure B&W film.”
I applaud your choice of B&W instead of color, as presenting the image in color might have diluted the impact of the distortion.

Tessfully — Instead of looking up, as in Uncle Vanya’s image, you creatively looked down at the snowy, rock-strewn ground and your feet.

Normhead — In another change of viewpoint, your viewpoint was straight at the Kia. Seeing the tops of trees in the background adds to the perception of distortion.

Tamia — Thanks for the helpful explanation of the impact of the telephoto distortion on the perceived height of the shack and the distant tower.

Assa 1 — Thanks for explaining the impact of the perspective distortion on the building’s facade and for presenting and mentioning the interesting contrast of the concrete and shadows with the sky.

JensE — Thanks for the frog’s eye view of the colorful scene Spring Evening Bells and for mentioning that the view provided by the 8mm Samyang fisheye is less extreme in the corners than a planar projection lens would provide.

Noelcmn — Centering the tower is effective here. The colors pop, and the dark clouds at left add to the drama.

Scomatic — Welcome back. The silhouette of the person with open umbrella, the variation of tones, and the curved bands create a rich image.

Winner: Uncle Vanya’s tree image

Second: Noel’s Orlando Tower

Tied for third:
Assa 1’s architectural image and JensE’s “Spring Evening Bells”

Strong honorable mention: Scomatic’s silhouette

It was a privilege to judge this competition.

Best wishes to all!
Stu
Views: 2,328
04-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

Congratulations to all participants. Especially to Uncle Vanya for your patience and kind explanation.
04-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm honored. Thanks! I can't wait to see what our next assignment is...
04-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Uncle. Stunning image, which I liked from the start. Though I will have to get you back for that nightmare I had the other night about being chased by a big nosed tree . Thanks for the 2nd spot, unexpected really, and congrats too to my fellow placed Assa1 and JensE, and of course Scomatic with that somewhat weird image. Thanks to Smf for the judging exercise-always appreciated.
Now to go and frame something.

04-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Uncle Vanya on your imaginative photo. Noel, that tower is wild! Congrats go to you too, and also to Assa for your architectural photo that bends my mind -- very well rendered -- and to Jens for a worm's eye view of the blossoms. David/Scomatic I really liked your silhouette, too. Welcome back! Wow, what a line-up for this contest. Terrific job judging Stu, and thanks for the comments.
04-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations to uncle, noel and assa.