Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-8-16- Perspective - Framed
Posted By: noelcmn, 04-19-2016, 02:33 AM

Welcome to Project 52-8 for the year 2016. We are still with perspective, this time it's "framed" which has also appeared a few times in Project 52. In view here is a subject that is framed either by natural surrounds, or one you may have created and as such also requires some compositional input and even timing. What we are really looking for here is the photographers eye to see and capture a subject that is naturally framed by other elements surrounding the main subject. It should however not detract from the main subject.

Please also note I've added another "rule" about posting additional images (rule 8), not only because it was mentioned in Project 52-8-11, but it has also occurred in the past, creating some confusion. And an additional note on the use of phone images in Rule 5. These rules are multiplying at a rate of knots

Images for Project 52-8-16 are to be taken between Monday 18 April 2016 through to Sunday 24 April 2016. Closing times is midnight in your time Zone.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge, and in keeping with the theme/sub-concept and be willing to be the judge if you win.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-8 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-8 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

Here's a very nice link to Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_(visual_arts)

And some excellent examples from Pentaxians
Ash

Manel Brand

Jmschrei

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 02:42 AM ----------

My apologies- this is a bit late.

Last edited by noelcmn; 04-19-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Views: 2,697
04-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #2

Better late than never...
04-19-2016, 08:11 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took this on Tuesday, completely unaware that this challenge existed. Uncle Vanya suggested I enter it after he saw it in our Single in April challenge. It was a quick roadside stop on the way home from Melbourne, and no effort was put into getting the shadow off the model's face....

The frame is a permanent installation on the Natimuk to Frances Road in Western Victoria. The cliff line in the background is Mt Arapiles, AKA God's gift to Australian rock climbers. The woman in the photo prefers to remain anonymous

Framed

By the way, it is made with the much-talked-about but so-far-little-seen DFA*70-200. It is not a great example of the lens' capabilities however. I have others

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-19-2016 at 11:25 PM.
04-20-2016, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Approaching the River's Falls Pentax K-5IIs, Pentax-M 28/2.8, 1/30s, f8, ISO 80, handheld.

04-21-2016, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

When I saw this week's challenge, I went and took a picture of a scene I've taken before... but never with my 24mm lens it's our office's back garden as seen from the lobby. So I kept it "on hold" and saw if I could get another good framed shot, but instead I've been putting the K10D to use to find out what its strong and weak points are... so in the end, I never took another "framed" shot. This is it, then:

04-21-2016, 03:45 PM - 7 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Wow! High standards! Really nice shots everyone. This one doesn't come close, but from today, a small Beech Leaf framed by a scar on a Beech Tree. By the way, the Beech Trees are full of these scars from bears climbing to the top branches looking for Beech Nuts.

04-21-2016, 10:35 PM - 6 Likes   #7
rud

Nice pictures! I like how Tessfully used the scarred trunk to frame that shot. A little different from everything else so far.

Here's my submission for this week's challenge. Framed in a drain.

04-24-2016, 01:12 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not having found anything else suitable, the security and the morning glories has to do duty
04-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a lot of options this week, but there is a quick one with a solid wooden frame.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some excellent shots in this weeks challenge.
04-25-2016, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
rud

Although the challenge has ended, I wanted to share a photo that was partly inspired by Tamia's submission. Unfortunately, I'd overdeveloped the roll and the resulting negatives were extremely dense. I couldn't get a decent scan from home but the lab managed to salvage the roll.

Pentax KM // SMC K 28mm f3.5 // f8 @ 1/500 // Ilford Pan 400 // Caffenol

04-25-2016, 04:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rud Quote
Although the challenge has ended, I wanted to share a photo that was partly inspired by Tamia's submission. Unfortunately, I'd overdeveloped the roll and the resulting negatives were extremely dense. I couldn't get a decent scan from home but the lab managed to salvage the roll.

Pentax KM // SMC K 28mm f3.5 // f8 @ 1/500 // Ilford Pan 400 // Caffenol
Oh dear, too bad about the overdeveloping. The image is an intriguing one, even so -- multiple frames.
04-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be posting the winners thread today.