Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS....Weekly Challenge #348...SIGNS!
Posted By: LondonWombat, 05-04-2016, 05:52 AM

Well, the number of entries did surprise me. I guess many of you think that signs are a worthy subjects. I'd like to say that all the entries had lots of merit and I enjoyed looking at everyone of them.

First Choice Award goes to atupdate. Such a simple and unassuming sign that list three prohibited actions. The young boy ignores all. The game is too important. If a fly ball come his way he has got to be ready to catch it, rules be damned! Great composition too. It is a very expressive photo. The youthful enthusiam for the game is contained not only by the concrete barrier but by a sign (to a degree). Even the rail defies his line of sight but to no avail....he stands (in defiance of the sign) on his tippy toes. Again, the composition of the game, sign and the boy really work.

Second Choice Award goes to RollsUp. I really love the vertical composition, the diagonally opposing subjects: Warning and Infraction. The white vertical divider cuts the image in thirds, one for the puny prohibitive words and two thirds to collect and display the spent remains of the incendiary infraction. The tone, texture and composition really work for me, as does the defiance of the message. One must really wonder if someone will walk back 50 feet and butt out the cigarette. If the ashtray is that full near the sign, how many butts are 50 feet away?

Third Choice Award goes to JENSEN7474. I really like the sharp angles and bold colours in this. The perspective and vanishing points are well contained in the image ratio. I like the amount of dark areas and black in relation to the white text and light sky (as seen through the trees). A nice photo to look at and I am sure there are some good memories attached to it.

Honourable Mentions (in no particular order)

Tamia. Great photo and such a humourous message. So much for prof reading signs? Love the black and white and composition.

Hattifnatt. Your patience paid off and rewarded you with a great photo. The bird is really captivated by the sign.

Bruce Clark. I giggle every time I imagine a voice warning me of the impending danger and peril I will be in if I venture down the "Sleepry: Rocks".

It was fun to see all the great photos. It really shows the diverse and creative minds of the Pentax community.

Congratulations to all and let's see what atupdate will choose for next week.

Thanks,
JP Faucher
Views: 1,248
05-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Tim!

And congrats to the other winners and honorable mention.

I chuckled at Bruce's photo too.
05-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to atupdate for a wonderful shot and to rollsup and jense for their second and third place. The HM's photos gave me a chuckle every time I saw them. Good job everyone and thanks for the fun challenge JP.
05-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's been awhile since I won one of these challenges. Thanks JP for the kind words on my image and congratulations to the other winners.

My entry was sort of set-up. We were sitting behind home plate and I asked my son to go to the other side of the ballpark to take a picture of him hoping to catch a home run. At the time, I didn't see the sign or even the fact that he was on his tippy-toes.

Next challenge posted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/320247-weekly...ml#post3629292

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 05-04-2016 at 09:03 AM.
05-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Tim, such a nice documentary shot!. Extended to RollsUp, JENSEN7474and the HM's Tamia, Hattifnatt and Bruce. Great challenge and thanks due to LondonWombat. I concur, great variety of images showing creativity. Great stuff.
05-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tim et al! Good stuff all, great challenge Wombat!
05-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats winners!