Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #349 - I've Been Set Up
Posted By: atupdate, 05-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Thanks to LondonWombat for hosting the last challenge and the kind words he had on my entry.

This week's challenge requires a set-up. Not the kind involving the camera equipment but the kind that involves the subject. This doesn't have to be a studio shot but at least one element of the image must be purposely placed in the picture.

This challenge will close at noon EDST on Wednesday, May 11th. I would love to hear the story behind your set-up.

Examples:

One drop of gasoline on the surface of a cup of coffee.

Placed the empty bird nest in a stack of pipes I found down the road from my house.

My son found a dead grasshopper in our lawn, so I glued him on a piece of ornamental grass, added antenna to his head, and tied the grass to a lawn chair to position it in front of the sunset.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Ricoh DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Good luck to everyone.

Tim
Views: 1,948
05-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A little over 25 hours before this challenge closes.

Tim

05-10-2016, 11:36 AM - 5 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll give this a go with...

Through Rainbow-Colored Lenses A set-up shot because I placed the eyeglasses and manipulated a lens filter to bring out colors in the plastic glasses lenses. This is an example of photoelasticity birefringence, which happens when you place clear plastic objects between polarizers. In this case, reading glasses display the birefringence, with the laptop display being the polarizer behind, and a polarizing filter on my lens being the other. (Want to try it yourself? See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/28...ce-thread.html for more examples and instructions.)

05-10-2016, 11:37 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Created with a running tap at full flow, in the middle of two sinks, a LED light at the back of the glass.
05-10-2016, 06:09 PM - 6 Likes   #19
Forum Member

Battle Exoskeletons:Real fight or staged performance?

Staged this little battle of exoskeletons a while back. They look much more menacing in macro mode.

05-10-2016, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Early one with the Sigma 70-300. I just put a handful of coins on a manila folder, made no adjustments to them.

05-11-2016, 03:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great entries so far. About 5 hours left to get your entry in.

Tim
05-11-2016, 04:46 AM - 6 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

From the Great Beyond

(One of my stranger notions.)

05-11-2016, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

A horseshoe crab! Found it on the beach, moved it to better lighting.

05-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This challenge is now closed.

Winners Posted Here -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/320890-weekly...ml#post3639177

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 05-12-2016 at 04:14 AM.
05-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #25
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am surprised and honored, and I greatly respect the other entries and the photographers who created them!

Tim, thanks very much for your judging and comments.

Best wishes to all.
Stu