Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #349 - I've Been Set Up
Posted By: atupdate, 05-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Thanks to LondonWombat for hosting the last challenge and the kind words he had on my entry.

This week's challenge requires a set-up. Not the kind involving the camera equipment but the kind that involves the subject. This doesn't have to be a studio shot but at least one element of the image must be purposely placed in the picture.

This challenge will close at noon EDST on Wednesday, May 11th. I would love to hear the story behind your set-up.

Examples:

One drop of gasoline on the surface of a cup of coffee.

Placed the empty bird nest in a stack of pipes I found down the road from my house.

My son found a dead grasshopper in our lawn, so I glued him on a piece of ornamental grass, added antenna to his head, and tied the grass to a lawn chair to position it in front of the sunset.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Ricoh DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Good luck to everyone.

Tim
Views: 2,453
05-04-2016, 11:33 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll give this one a go. I set up the leaves to reflect fall colors. When it just didn't work out, I threw them in the water, slowed down the shutter and fired away. Definitely not a great shot but it was set up.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-28-2016 at 05:20 AM.
05-04-2016, 11:52 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simple set up that worked out well.

I wanted to do a set up where I could capture a golf ball falling into a roasting pan filled with water. I used my Pentax 100 mm WR and set my $90 Vivitar flash on the weakest setting but with the fastest duration of flash 1/25,000 sec. The 1st shot is my official entry. The 2nd is when the golf ball was just about to hit the water.--charliezap
Name:  set up 2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  292.3 KB

Name:  set up one.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  185.6 KB
05-04-2016, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A pawn, a swan, and an empty tissue box for an amphitheater. Any suggestions for a caption?

Attached Images

05-05-2016, 03:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice start so far.

Tim
05-05-2016, 05:44 AM - 10 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We simply had some forks to waste, so we added a couple of olives. Background was some random paper. Taken using only natural light.

05-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hattiffnat, those forks were an amazing idea and you carried out so well. Between you and Charlie and it looks like you both have to do a little shopping before dinner.

05-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looking forward to seeing what entries are posted over the weekend.

Tim
05-06-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting challenge idea. I only have one picture that fits the criteria, so here goes...

A couple of years ago I was at the pristine Tenaya Lake at Yosemite National Park. On the beach I noticed a path of gigantic ants, and aside from their freakish size, didn't think much of them. While walking along the beach where the water met the sand, I found a dead mouse floating in the water. More out of curiosity than anything, I decided to pick up the mouse and place it in the path of the ants. Once I did, only one ant climbed aboard to explore. I was there with my GR in hand waiting for a good moment. I snapped the pic right as the ant climbed onto the mouse's face and pinched the nose with it's mandibles.
Shortly thereafter, the ants devoured it.

05-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

To Apet-Sure: "Sorry, Pawn, but I can't reassure you that I was a little pawn before I grew up to be a beautiful swan."
05-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was hoping to see a few more entries by now. Looks like I picked a less-than-common shooting style for the challenge topic.

Tim
05-08-2016, 05:07 AM - 5 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Funny you should have this as your topic as I was thinking of starting a thread of this theme. Below is one that fits the theme from today's playing in the garden:

05-08-2016, 10:11 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robo Dude pumping iron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-09-2016, 03:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still a couple of days to get your entry in.

Tim
05-10-2016, 05:18 AM - 6 Likes   #15
smf
Pentaxian

Twenty-three Straws
(Thanks, everyone, for posting such excellent images in this thread!)