Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread

CAPTION CONTEST Week of May 17-24
Posted By: goatsNdonkey, 05-16-2016, 09:55 PM

Having been inducted into the select fraternity of past caption contest winners, having learned the secret handshake, and practiced the secret rites -- it is now my great honor to post a photo and invite all to submit captions for the coming week's contest.

This round I will reserve my own vote, solely for the purpose of breaking a tie should one occur.

Newcomers, note that in this contest you vote for your favorite captions by "Liking" them. The caption most liked wins.

Here's the photo, have at it!

Views: 2,410
05-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AND THE WINNER IS....

oops, we have a brief delay, because the contest time has ended with a 4-way tie for first place between the entries submitted by:

Kerrowdown
todd
Apt-Sure
sherrvonne

I like all of them. They are imaginative, clever, funny, and they each imply a fascinating narrative amid which the statement in the caption would be but one in a series of scenes. However, as this round's contest moderator, it is my sworn duty to settle any tie for the winner with my vote. Considering the strengths of the tied captions, the only basis I could think of to help me was the question of surprise. Which captions seemed the most surprising to me: Kerrowdown's and todd's caught be a bit more by surprise than the other contenders. But which one surprised me the most: todd's --

Look, Ma! Pa done found the Ark of the Covenant!

It seemed to pick up on the design elements of the object that I never realized were slightly like those in pictures of the famous Ark, and considering the last time I saw those pictures were in a certain Indiana Jones movie, todd's caption even got me imagining lighting bolts streaking from the object in the back of my old Dodge truck in the contest picture and melting or exploding Nazi soldiers! Now that was a level of surprise I was not expecting1

So let's all congratulate * t o d d * -- who now gets to celebrate his win by posting the picture for the next week-long caption contest and moderating that contest.

Lastly, a final note on object sitting in the truck bed in this week's contest photo. It is a mid-1960s Motorola coffee-table-styled console hi-fi. Note that I did not call it a "stereo" because it is actually a 3-channel unit, with right and left channels (each offering mid-range and treble sounds) and a separate bass-only (center?) channel! I had just driven it home from a thrift shop and took some pictures of it as I examined it. The original turntable was missing from the unit, and I came to discover that 4 of the original speakers had been replaced with speakers the low-power tube receiver could not even drive. Of the two original Motorola midrange speakers, one was badly damaged. I have removed the ***working*** tube receiver from the unit and intend to make a new cabinet for it. Meaning the coffee table cabinet is available. Anybody want it? Just drive yr truck over!

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 05-24-2016 at 10:55 AM.
05-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way to go Todd!
05-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Congratulations Todd, now if anyone could find even just one of the Golden Cherubs that sat atop the ark, you'd be financially set for life. Lol
05-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Todd.

05-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #20
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, Todd; thanks,to all,formthe enjouable captions, and thanks to our host for the judging and for the story behind the photo.
So you aren't going to use your big find to,replace your truck's sound system. Oh, well.
Best wishes to all.
05-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tod, that was a good one. Let's see what you come up for us!
05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks all. next round already runnin' 😉