Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-8-26- People- Portraits WINNERS
Posted By: Tamia, 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM

We had a small turnout this time around for the P52 theme of People Portraits, probably because of summer vacations and national holidays. Thanks to those of you who could enter, and to those who tried but were unable to. I'm far from expert with the realm of portraiture, so must fall back on what appeals to me most in a photo, along with the usual elements that make for a good photograph in general. So first some comments before judging.

Assa1 For someone who is at least occasionally uneasy with photographing people, you did a very good job of portraying the young woman who is a stranger to you. It was a good choice to use a long lens and to expose for a shallow depth of field, not only to allow yourself some distance that allowed a more candid shot, but also to define her against her surroundings. Going with a monochrome conversion works too, allowing concentration on her expression and features, and the shadows play an important roll in preventing a flat photo. I also like that the woman is wearing reflective glasses. These lend mystery about her -- what is she looking at, and is she noticing you? -- and allow her a measure of privacy, something I think is important even in public spaces. Her lenses also give a sharp wide-angle view of the nearby setting, which is intriguing. No, your picture isn't tack sharp, but I don't think that is important here. In fact, I like the slight softness, which enhances the woman's appearance. Overall, I like your photo very much, with its composition and also the dynamic elements of her hair lifted by a breeze or her movements, and her expression. And congratulations on overcoming your discomfort in order to shoot the picture. That isn't easy.

Noel/noelcmn Your joyous relationships with people comes through wonderfully in your portrait of the boy. His unabashed openness and pleasure is charming and makes me smile. Though I doubt it was arranged in advance, the colors of his striped shirt, the dark-brimmed white hat, and the creamy neutral wall behind him work so nicely to frame his features and the beautiful tones of his skin. I just love those perfect dimples and smile, while the scar on his left cheek suggest a mischievous or adventurous nature -- or both. You've captured an expression of open delight, and maybe he's laughing, given that his teeth are parted a bit. I like his posture, maybe suggesting just a little bit of shyness, and with the shadows over his eyes making it hard to see their sparkle, there's a tad of holding a little bit back to himself. Perhaps a little bit of a crop on top would emphasize the boy more, but in general, this is a happy and appealing portrait that makes me feel good.

Gatorguy While you missed the posting deadline for this contest, I'm in a lenient mood about the holiday weekend, so I'll let this picture in. [NOTE: When I originally looked at the thread there was one photo, now I notice there are two. I judged the first.] You captured the lovely woman's appealing smile wonderfully well, and her relaxed body language suggests a pleasing and contented setting. Framing her with the out-of-focus dark shrub in the background nicely complements and sets off her red hair and brown eyes. The warm color tone almost gives a vintage appearance to the photo, which I find appealing here. The only thing I'd have tried to do differently -- it might not have been possible because of the arrangement of things -- would be to move your perspective so that slanting bright pole wasn't so close to her body. If you were inclined, you could probably successfully clone out the pole. The woman herself or those who care about her would, no doubt, be delighted with a framed copy.

Now for the moment of truth. I should make it clear that while it would seem as if a small field of entries makes for easy judging, it's anything but easy. Here t'is, then, the podium:

Third Place: Gatorguy

Second Place: Noel

First Place: Assa

Well done all of you, and thanks again for your entries. Thanks also to those who gave it a shot (no pun intended!) despite the busy weekend. So Assa, you're next week's P52 judge. Noel, do we have a theme?
Views: 1,038
07-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

Congrats to Noel and Gatorguy. Tamia, thank you for the win and for your, always appreciated, comments. And now guys, let's go to bodyparts. Spooky subject.
07-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks so much Tamia, for all your kind comments and judging, always appreciated. Congrats Assa1, lovely portrait, and B/W is so suitable. Still waiting for the phone no .
07-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations especially to Assa, but also to Noel and Gatorguy! And to Tamia for the commenting.

I was on vacation all of last week... I did have one portrait of my younger son that I was thinking about using for this challenge but I just didn't get around to editing it. The honey-do list when we got back from the beach was just too big!