Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Winner: #361 Sharp Angles
Posted By: slowpez, 08-26-2016, 08:10 AM

Well, now it is time for the hard part and you guys didn’t make it easy either. There was such a diversity of images, all different and interesting in their own way. It was so much fun looking at each of them. It was also great to see some new members and some older members who have not joined the challenges before. We hope to see a lot more of them.
Now to get on with things.

Clou: You certainly captured the essence of this challenge. You can’t get many more points than that building. I see no evidence of doors or windows so they must be on the hidden side. Quite elaborate for a temporary building.

rod_grant: Love the arch framing all those pointed towers. The sidewalk leads you right into the back of the image. Nicely done.

Arjay Bee: This is beautifully done. The lighting is wonderful and I love how the vine curls itself around the sharp points on the leaf or stem. Quite sensuous.

atupdate: The perfect background for this kind of shot. Something is holding those needles in place but I can’t figure it out. I think the muted colors of the yarn is perfect for the subject.

SpecialK: Lots of different angles to look at here. Even the shadows provide interest. The pale grey ring on top of the umbrella adds another dimension.

Outis: Airplanes beware. Flying to low is liable to get your fuel tank punctured.

simon_199: There are enough angles and patterns in this shot to keep me occupied for quite some time. The blue of the shutter and railing match the blue in the sky nicely.

candeloromauro: Great framing. You too have managed to add several pointy bits in a minimalistic photo. I love the stripe of blue and the framing. Welcome to the forums hope to see lots of you.

Vaskebjorn: Another new member to welcome. Glad to have you. The raven tucked neatly inside the pointed triangle would have made Edgar Allen Poe proud. With the dark sky behind it, it looks quite sinister.

digitalandfilm: There are enough angles, squares, rectangles and curves to keep me counting them for ages. I like the B&W.

Hattifnatt: You may have had only one shot but you pulled it out of the shadows didn’t you. There are hidden angles not only in those shadows but also in the reflections in the windows. Well spotted.

mnaah: Welcome to the weekly challenges. Great framing here. The marble makes for lots of angles. B&W suites this subject too.

jacamar: Great lighting, wonderful angles. This looks to have been a difficult shot but you handled it extremely well.

sealonsf: Could you have gotten any more angles out of that dome? I think not. They look like they are radiating from the right side. Wonder what it would like with a clear blue sky behind it.

elpolodiablo: Another shot with wonderful lighting where you allowed nature to provide the interesting angles. This one just draws me in.

noelcmn: Angles within angles in those two sails. Great timing to get the two lined up perfectly in sink.

aaacb: I love how the faces in front are softly lit and the scene fades into the background. A difficult shot; well done.

StephenHampshire: You always come up with something interesting and this one doesn’t disappoint. I love the colors here.

ramseybuckeye: Another dome providing interesting angles. I would like to see this one too with a blue sky.

djb47: What a complicated series of beams you have submitted. The curved beam in the lower right is really intriguing. Where is this bridge if I may ask?

eva: Filled with sharp pointy bits and a wonderful array of colors. Well chosen.

Here goes:

HMs: eva and StephenHampshire. I loved the complexity and colors of eva's image and the simplicity of Stephens
3rd place: jacamar. Such a difficult shot but I love it.
2nd place: elpolodiablo: This was so close to being first place. The lighting and background just make me want to stand on that platform and see if the train that comes will take me somewhere mysterious and wonderful.

1st place: candeloromauro: I just kept coming back to it. I love the angles and the blue stripe of sky all pointing to building . Wonderful framing.
Looking forward to seeing the next challenge you come up with.

Views: 1,155
08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Susan and congrats to candeloromauro and elpolodiablo - delighted to come in third, especially since my entry goes a bit beyond my usual photographic comfort zone!
08-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations candeloromauro! And also to elpolodiablo, jacamar, and eva and StephenHampshire. Great photos, super challenge Susan!
08-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A worthy winner!

08-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the contest, it was a good one and a nice one also.
I also like the winning picture, it reminds me a to one of the pictures i took on a terrace in Tunisia some time ago.
One small question to be asked though, in your example pictures there was a "red" photo that i can not figure out. What is it on the photo. I really like it. But it's somewhat annoying i do not know what it is.

Richard
08-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, worthy winner, beautifully composed shot, and that cloud is just a wonderful touch! Congratulations candeloromauro. And extended to elpolodiablo, Jacamar and the HM's Eva and Stephenhamshire. Lovely challenge, so interesting, all the varied interpretations. Thanks for that Susan, and the commenting and judging exercise-always appreciated.
08-27-2016, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
One small question to be asked though, in your example pictures there was a "red" photo that i can not figure out. What is it on the photo. I really like it. But it's somewhat annoying i do not know what it is.
Well, I'm not going to be able to help you much. It was taken at Wright-Patterson AFB museum. My husband drags me to these places so I just take pictures of the strange objects I find. It may have been an airplane part but sadly, we will never know unless someone recognizes it.

08-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all of the winners. A very diverse set of entries that were fun to look at.

Tim
08-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners.

slowpez, that bridge is located in the Old Salem part of Winston-Salem, NC.
08-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great contest Susan.
Congrats to the winners.
08-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
eva
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winners and all participants.Thank you Susan for such good challange and commenting on all photos.
08-30-2016, 12:36 AM   #12
eva
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Well, I'm not going to be able to help you much. It was taken at Wright-Patterson AFB museum. My husband drags me to these places so I just take pictures of the strange objects I find. It may have been an airplane part but sadly, we will never know unless someone recognizes it.
I found it.Red mask(thing) under the wings .Wright-Patterson AFB museum; go virtual under early years point 14 ,1st after yelow-blue 737.Small AC 71 National Museum of the U.S. Air Force - Virtual Tour

Eva

Last edited by eva; 08-30-2016 at 03:50 AM.
08-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eva Quote
I found it.Red mask(thing) under the wings .Wright-Patterson AFB museum; go virtual under early years point 14 ,1st after yelow-blue 737.Small AC 71 National Museum of the U.S. Air Force - Virtual Tour
Thanks for the link Eva.
09-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

I am clearly not a veteran of this site!

I didn't know there was a dedicated post for the winners of the weekly challenges! So, I get to see all the nice words just now!
I must say thank to you all, and yes! I will try to keep publishing pictures, participate to the contests and give you all a hard time winning!
Just joking, I see so many great photographers here! It was my lucky day!

Congratulations to all the other participants, especially to the second and third positions, great shots!