Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - #368 B ROYGBIV W - Orange
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 10-31-2016, 07:09 PM

I did not expect so many entries, and so many really good ones. So this is difficult, I've tried give a couple of lines on each photo, not a real critical review but unfortunately I don't have the time or talent for that. Here we go:

photolady95 : Very nice flower pic, nice detailed petals and good bokeh in the background.

sealonsf: Lots of orange here, nice pose with details, and I love the "glow"

aaacb: That is some really orange tile. Interesting kind of minimal abstract.

geomez: It does look like island in an orange world. Great macro of minerals, very colorful.

Hattifnatt: Nice landscape, good detail of the trees and lights, but the sky is the star. Very nice timing, sometimes it's just seconds. Usually these are the skys that are gone before you can get the camera ready.

Alex85: It pays to get up early and catch the sunrise, nicely composed, and the bonus of the flock of birds on the right.

slowpez: Gorgeous and delicate macro, great color.

dcshooter: And a good seasonal theme it is. Great pumpkin still life.

jacamar: Nice and sharp macro. Nice comp to get the one berry that has "burst" with the whites ones surrounding it.

pentageek: This is a splendid and unique photo. I'm not sure wehat the source of light is but the orange glow is cool, as are the stars above.

Vaskebjorn: Great orange background for the hornet, a striking color scheme.

smf: Very clever use of the light in the inside of the pumpkin. Really nicely controlled exposure.

Bruce Clark: That is a lot of beautiful orange on that flower, nice and detailed, yet delicate. Nicely done.

rod_grant: Beautiful landscape, I like the sharp silhouettes of the trees over that gorgeous sky, good balanced composition.

Sqideyes: Excellent bird photo, great color, nice detail in the feathers.

rgknief60: Nice details and color in this insect party, it must be hard for those bugs to hide unless it's on some of these orange flowers. Are tose spiders underneath?

LondonWombat: Definitely the most unusual composition in the challenge, and most unusual subject. I've never saw anything quite like that hanging from a ceiling.

mattb123: Stunning image, perfect color and exposure.

jheu02: Excellent still life, vibrant colors, how did you get the bug to pose?

assa1: Very clever idea and well executed. I went to a group shoot once where this type of thing was done, I know it's not easy to get it this good.

djb47: Nice colorful hillside, bold colors!

just_life_photograph: What a fantastic old sign, I'd love to see that at night with the neon lit up, if it still works. fun pic!

ds7711: Nice colorful panoramic view, the trees are glowing in the sunlight.

Outis: Clever still life and brilliantly lit. Reminds me of the Heywood Banks song "Punkin Head"

charliezap: Excellent sunset photo, the people on the boat watching it really adds to the interest for me.

noelcmn: A very clever composition, well done

eva: Nice photo of Interesting Artwork that I don't really get, maybe if the bicycle was explained...

DeepThrob: Very well done composite abstract.

First Honorable Mentions:
Hattifnatt
pentageek
rod grant
outis
mattb123
charliezap

Choosing a winner was tough so I let the "likes" help me out here for top three

Thirds Place: Sqideyes

Second Place: Slowpez

First Place: Geomez and Slowpez had the same amount of likes, I gave the nod to Geomez for, it was such a clever idea

Views: 2,478
10-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, everyone.
Thanks for your comment, Tom.
10-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congretulations.

Eva
10-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments Tom.

And congrats to the winners and honorable mentions too.

11-01-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Geomez, what a fabulous image, stunning abstract. Well seen. And extended to Slowpez and Squideyes, and the HM's Hattifnatt, pentageek, rod grant, outis, mattb123 and charliezap. Great challenge, thanks Tom for all the comments and judging exercise.
11-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Geomez! Could you shortly describe how this picture was taken, please?

@Ramseybuckeye: single lamppost with sodium-vapor lamp acted as main source of light in my photo.
11-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Big Thanks to Ramseybuckeye for judging so many entries and commenting on each one. Congratulations to the HMs and the Winners. Some real great photos. Who'd have thought that Orange would have so many entries. Will there be a Yellow week ahead?

11-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners. Well deserved each and every one.
11-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations everybody, 1st and 2nd place were spectacular especially. Many thanks to the judge... waiting for the yellow color!
11-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winners and the HMs too. Such a lot of wonderful entries and so much diversity. Geomez, yours was candy for the eye. Beautiful. Thanks for the comments Tom. To set the record straight, mine was not a macro; it was an HDR photo taken in Lower Antelope Canyon.
11-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Congratulations to the winners and the HMs too. Such a lot of wonderful entries and so much diversity. Geomez, yours was candy for the eye. Beautiful. Thanks for the comments Tom. To set the record straight, mine was not a macro; it was an HDR photo taken in Lower Antelope Canyon.
Wow, even more awesome!
11-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
First Place: Geomez and Slowpez had the same amount of likes, I gave the nod to Geomez for, it was such a clever idea
Thanks Ramseybuekeye for hosting and picking my image.
Thanks everyone else for the kind words.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Congratulations Geomez! Could you shortly describe how this picture was taken, please?
Sure. I live in Tucson, AZ and my brother is a Geologist, so naturally we go to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show every year (It's the world's largest gem and mineral exhabition). Last year I went armed with my K-3, 35mm ltd macro (for walk-around and gem close-ups), and wireless Yongnuo flash.
This image in particular was just a hand-held macro of a cut stone. I use the wireless flash in my left hand from different angles to add needed light and to try to get the best effects for the gems and minerals. I try to leave out reflections and edges on the cut stones to make them more abstract. Only some minimal PP adjustments in addition of cloning out the dust, hair and fingerprints you usually don't see on the gems from a distance.

There ya have it!

I'll post the next challenge tomorrow.
11-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done all! I am amazed at the variety of ideas/images.
Congrats to geomez.

Tom, well done also - thanks for all the comments.
11-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the worthy winners and thanks to ramseybuckeye as well.
11-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Thanks Ramseybuekeye for hosting and picking my image.
Thanks everyone else for the kind words.

Sure. I live in Tucson, AZ and my brother is a Geologist, so naturally we go to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show every year (It's the world's largest gem and mineral exhabition). Last year I went armed with my K-3, 35mm ltd macro (for walk-around and gem close-ups), and wireless Yongnuo flash.
This image in particular was just a hand-held macro of a cut stone. I use the wireless flash in my left hand from different angles to add needed light and to try to get the best effects for the gems and minerals. I try to leave out reflections and edges on the cut stones to make them more abstract. Only some minimal PP adjustments in addition of cloning out the dust, hair and fingerprints you usually don't see on the gems from a distance.

There ya have it!

I'll post the next challenge tomorrow.
Thanks for explanation - I thought it was an estuary or swamps Nevertheless, the photo deserves first place.