Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Project 52-8-44-Open theme/Best of 2016
Posted By: noelcmn, 12-26-2016, 06:08 AM

Welcome to Project 52-8 for the year 2016. The last challenge for 2016, and this one is open, with the theme of your best shot of 2016. There is usually a thread for the best 10 shots of the year, (which hopefully will happen again next year) and I have found those to be quite inspirational. It need not be your best shot, as it is also open to anything you wish to post.

Images for Project 52-8-44 are to be taken between Monday 26th December 2016 through to Sunday 1 January 2017. Closing times is midnight in your time Zone

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be to have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore. The theme/sub-concepts are chosen by the facilitator every week. You are only
required to submit a photo taken during the week of the challenge, and in keeping with the theme/sub-concept and be willing to be the judge if you win.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-8 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera. And we will include images taken with phones as well.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging. It is up to the discretion of the current week's
Judge to accept or decline early/late entries i.e. a day earlier or a day late. Usually there is some flexibility here to allow as many entrants as possible. BUT
PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES TAKEN DAYS OR WEEKS OUTSIDE THE PERIOD OF THE CHALLENGE. TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE
TO THE TIME FRAME.
8. Additional images are welcome, but please keep them to a minimum. If more than one image is posted, make sure you identify your entry for the challenge.
Additional images should also please comply with rule 1 and rule 7.
9. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
10. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next weeks Project 52-8 and may not participate in the challenge.
11. The host/facilitator (in this case noelcmn) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.

These are some of the winners of previous similar Project 52 challenges

And one of Normhead's favorites from 2014 - from the Favorite Ten photos of 2014.

And as this is the last of Project 52-8, I should like to thank you all for your participation, submissions, comments and judging. It has once again been a worthy project, plenty of lessons, and a contributor to my photography skills. And apologies for all the late postings. And wishing you all everything of the best to you and yours for 2017, a year that already portends to be one of many many changes.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/335969-weekly...#ixzz4TwjXjcUW

Last edited by noelcmn; 12-26-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Views: 1,375
01-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'll go with this one.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD ONE.

01-02-2017, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Battle of the Nations Monument

I think some of my better pictures already made it into Project52 last year, or into thematic threads. Thanks Noel for keeping Projekt52 up and alive all year, even while contributions were few and far in between, and everybody for sharing their thoughts and providing a lot of encouragement.

I chose the night view of the Battle of the Nations Monument because, like a lot of the Project52 pictures, it was a thoroughly planned photograph - something I previously did mostly for documentary purposes or at most looking at a timetable for a steam train. So for me, it's a milestone in how I extended my photographic approach with the help of Project52 beyond "go and see what you'll find".

I had used The Photographer's Ephemeris a few weeks prior, looking for a chance to capture a bright moon at a low angle close to/passing behind the monument when looking from the front. Got lucky with the weather, even though in the end it was difficult to operate the camera as my hands got really cold. I had calculated the viewing angles from different distances which I wanted to capture, thus knew which lenses to use and how to time the shots. What I did not know was that some jerk would park facing the monument, not even getting out of the car and instead keep their headlights on even though I asked to turn them off! Repair/renovation is still ongoing, I may redo the shot with a wider field of view once the currently empty basin has been repaired and all scaffolding and signs are gone.
01-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter

The good news is I got to do lots of photography in 2016, and I can see some improvement - yay! However, trying to determine the "best" shot of the year....I guess I'll go with this one.

Thanks for running the Project 52 thread - i enjoy it although I don't participate as often as I should.

I think I'll go with this one, taken coming down the very narrow, winding N Lake Road in the Eastern Sierra, near Lake Sabrina, around sunset.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Your entry is too late. Winners announced here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/337100-projec...6-winners.html

01-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Oh I completely missed the closing date. Sorry!