Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - Weekly Challenge #66 - Iridescence
Posted By: Bud, 08-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Sorry for the late results... don't you just hate it when life and work interfere with fun?

Since I'm already 2 days late, I'll make this as short and quick as possible so that you folks can move on to the next challenge!

Comments

Salty - great iridescence! I think I'd to see some of the "extra" stuff cropped out...
Davef - very unique color combination. How do you think it would look with a bit more contrast? Just a thought...
atupdate - cool bugs and nice color contrast. If the bug's "face" were visible, I think it might have more impact.
rburgoss - Very cool and fascinating... nice PZ1P shot!
slowpez - THAT's iridescent.... maybe a tighter crop?
LED - nice bokeh... I think there's a better crop in there... maybe with the ornament off-center to the right and cropping out the big blown highlight to the right of the ornament? A little PP to bring out the ornament more...
Bramela - cool lighting... I have no idea what it is, but something reminds me of Darth Vader
daacon - I don't know if it qualifies, either, but it sure is cool! It almost glows... radioactive mushroom? ;-)
kevindt - Nice!
chrisman - I like it! So many colors and all affected / enhanced by the lighting... very nice.
2ipper - there weren't any hard, fast rules on this one, so it definitely "fits" and I do think that the blown highlights work in this shot.
Workingdog - nice entry! I'll bet that looks pretty cool blown up? Find yourself a macro lens I really like how the dark area in the center almost looks like a cave.
Damn Brit - I love this one, although my mind's eye keeps cropping off the top. I like the nails and the prism effect of the crystal paired together... cool shot!
gawan - nice iridescence and rainbow effects! Would be a serious contender witha little more focus.
Zewrak - nice image... that looks like a subject you could shoot all day!
hinckc - Nice capture, Chris... I think with a little more PP, you could really make the iridescence "pop" in this one.
F-stop - Nice "shiny stuff"! And great narrative...
SouthShore Rob - maybe not iridescent, but it certainly has an "escence" to it... I like it!
MrApollinax - Nice shot... it's got "crop potential" written all over it! I find the sign to be very distracting.

Mind you, I'm no critic, so please take all of my comments with a grain of salt

Tough one to judge with so many very different entries... but here goes!

The Winners are:

3rd Place -
Working Dog
Name:  Contest%20Entry.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  83.1 KB
2nd Place - davef
Name:  multicolorrose_filtered.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  23.7 KB

And the 1st Place Winner of this challenge is...
rburgoss and the "retro" PZ1P "LASER" (making Austin Powers hand gestures) shot. I love this one and it's the one that I kept coming back to look at again and again. Great image!
Name:  LASER%20ON%20WATER%20DROPS.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  47.6 KB

So, RB... it's over to you to host weekly challenge #67!

Congrats!

Bud

Views: 3,566
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Bud and congrats to the other entrants for another interesting week. Well deserved RB... a great shot and I'm happy to let you fill the judging shoes. Dave
08-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job Bud man the bar keeps getting higher with the pictures and the judging . Congrats to the winner and rburgoss in particular (that was my favorite as well), and all for playing.
08-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Congrats everyone, and especially RB!

Thanks, Bud, for taking the time to comment on each entrant!

-Chris

08-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the 3 finalists and especially RB. Very good work! Very nice job at the judging Bud, well done!
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good job everyone. Congrats to the winners and Bud for doing a great job.
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all winners - that laser shot is beautiful - and to the judge!

08-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good job, Bud, and congrats to all winners. That Ist placing is a standout IMO.

#Bud to enlighten you, actually my shot is nothing more than the corner of a square red glass bottle. Darth Vader? yes I agree
08-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Bud for the 3rd place finish. The "Laser" shot was too cool. I've tried some stuff with a "Laser" but my "Laser" shots were nothing to brag about. How many times can I use the word "Laser" in this post? C'mon, throw me a frickin' bone here!!!!
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Congratulations to the winners.
Bud thank you for your kind comments.
Gary
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats everyone!
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well chosen winners, congrats to them and to all participants!
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
gawan - nice iridescence and rainbow effects! Would be a serious contender witha little more focus.
Bud
Yes, I almost did not post it just because of the non focus! Thanks for the comment!
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Does rburgoss know he won? He's been online since this posted but hasn't started a new weekly.
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi everyone. Great surprise... me a winner???? What do I won. Do I have to sign something?

Somebody please, enlighten me. What's next? What do I have to do? Where do I pick up the little statuette and the IATA "any airline - anytime - anywhere" card?

Robert B.