Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#381 - Movie Time! - WINNERS
Posted By: Hattifnatt, 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks again to all of you who entered this challenge, really a lot of nice entries. Below are my thoughts of every one of them. My apologies in advance for any obvious, tedious or pointless comments, and please keep in mind that the nature of this challenge is heavily influenced by personal feelings and tastes.

SpecialK: I had a chance to take a look at your shot before editing the message, so straightforward and effective interpretation of the theme! Would have been great, too bad it wasn't shot with a Pentax. Maybe this rule can change in the future?

Tessfully/Tess: The resemblance is striking, does he ride the same model of motorcycle even? I don't know how this picture was taken, but my only complain is the post-processing style... why not going for something more close to the original?

Atupdate/Tim: Now... you make me feel a little bit ashamed for my challenge idea since I haven't seen the movie. I tried to look for it since the day you've entered the challenge, now it's on my TBS list but alas there was simply no time I promise I will take a look as the movie seems to be good. Technical perfection is what sets this picture apart.

Eva: Your picture is just like the costumes from the movie: it breathes and glows with life. The only thing that I'm missing here is the overall dark tone present through the movie.

Charliezap/Charlie: I instantly thought of "Rear Window" when I saw this. The framing, the processing style, the atmosphere is just right. Great shot.

Geomez/Geoff: This picture is great in itself and reminds me of several movies. Strangely enough, as somebody else also noticed, first one that comes to mind is Godzilla, perhaps because of a particular scene where the big chap is emerging from the water. But there is also Jaws, Lake Placid, Black Water, Primeval, Alligator (from 1980, the nightmare of my childhood), even Crocodile Dundee However, the movie that it reminds me the most is Rogue, from 2007. I thought it was just a cheesy B movie, but it turned out to be the most entertaining croc movie I have ever seen. I would recommend it to anyone after a monster night out.

Digitalis: I was browsing the challenge thread at work and while I was contemplating your picture, a colleague from the office asked: "Is this from that movie with the clock and the mad scientist?" 'Nuff said.

Slowpez/Susan: Certainly I was not expecting too many landscapes when I came up with the idea for this challenge, but you did it! I can almost imagine John Wayne somewhere there in your picture, in his typical pose, propped up against one of those rocks

Sealonsf: A blast from the past... I grew up with Hatari!, this was the movie of my childhood. Love it.

Vaskebjorn/Richard: Who wouldn't recognize the tree from The Shawshank Redemption? I can imagine Morgan Freeman just stood there until the sunset, chilling and reading the letter from Andy.

Jacamar/Steven: This picture was perhaps one of the easiest to recognize. Were you involved in filming the actual movie?

Noelcmn: Very nice shot. I would venture to say that this picture does Ben's character justice, perhaps more than the actual movie

Bruce Clark: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSMOKIN'!

Arjay Bee: I haven't seen the movie. However, I did read the novel and I liked it a lot. Same goes for your picture. Great shot and a subtle but strong reference.

Now for the hard part. I tried to be somehow objective here but the entries were so different and difficult to compare that I finally gave up and just selected the photos which I liked best. Sorry for perhaps overlooking, or overestimating some of them. So, without further ado, here goes:

Honorable Mentions: Atupdate, Slowpez, Sealonsf, Jacamar, Arjay Bee

3rd Place: Geomez

2nd Place: Charliezap

WINNER
and Next Week's host: Digitalis

Congratulations all. Digitalis, ball's in your court now. Take us to the future!

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 03-16-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Views: 863
03-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have'nt seen the movie, but "nuff said" is certainly apt, its a great shot even without any connection to mad scientists. Congratulations Digitalis. And extended to CharlieZap and Geomez, and the HM's Atupdate, Slowpez, Sealonsf, Jacamar, Arjay Bee. Lovely shots, with a nice variety of interpretations and techniques. Thanks Hattifnatt, for the challenge, the judging and the excursion into nostalgia .
03-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to Digitalis on the win. That was a fine Image. Congrats also to Geomez and Charlie. This challenge was a lot of fun. I'm honored to be among the HMs as they were a fine group. Great job of judging Hattifnatt and as always, it is nice to have comments on all the entries.
03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Congrats to Digitalis and the honorable mentions and thanks to Hattifnatt for the fun challenge.

03-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A fun and different challenge--A great job of judging by Cosmin.Looking forward to what Digitalis has in store for the next challenge.--Charliezap
03-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
eva

Congratulations to the winners,HM's and all participants.Thanks Hattifnatt for the challenge,judging and comenting on all entries.
03-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

All good choices.
03-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I admit I was a bit skeptical when this challenge was posted. It took me a few days to even come close to what I thought was a worthy entry. I now admit that it was a fun topic to view, as the variety of the images was extremely good. Nice job everyone and congratulations to Digitalis and the other winners.

Tim

03-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Jacamar/Steven: This picture was perhaps one of the easiest to recognize. Were you involved in filming the actual movie?
I cheated a bit. These are King Penguins, not Emperors. King Penguins don't do the trek over the ice thing, but they are neat creatures and the pic was taken in the wild. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
03-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Great challenge...lots of fun! Great photos everyone. Congratulations to Digitalis on a fantastic shot. Looking forward to the next challenge.