Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners Weekly Challenge #383 "Lost"
Posted By: jchorst, 04-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Hello everybody, thanks again for sending in your entries. Here are my thoughts:

SpecialK - compelling composition, nice reflection, and the people in the distance look lost as well.
Aslyfox - a very sad and lost looking cub. Great capture! Unfortunately the sharpness isn't quite there.
rod_grant - good composition. A lost object in the foreground, alarming in a way - makes me wonder what happened to the kid. And the road boundary is losing itself into the background, I like that a lot.
aaacb - great capture of a really annoying moment. Having played squash myself for quite a long time I know what she's feeling... anyway, it's clearly visible!
Tamia - beautiful picture of an ugly... well, event. The interesting, somewhat tilted vantage point adds to the unease your photo conveys. Great colours, too.
Bruce Clark - breathtaking composition and colours. The rusty, alomost golden looking horseshoe gives a great contrast to the stones. Compelling simplicity!
mattb123 - a very special photo. Powerful contrast between the snowy trees and the underdressed red lady. You can almost feel the cold she must be feeling!
Vaskebjorn - your photo reminds me of a certain sculpture by Auguste Rodin - modern version. You placed your motive very well, and I like the black and white feeling.
charliezap - a very emotional picture. People like me cannot even imagine what he must be feeling. And the aperture you choose provides a great 3-D-look.
atupdate - a very well captured moment. The line of the body creates an interesting composition.
StephenHampshire - another very emotional picture. The dirt on the poppy evokes a nightmarish feeling.
slowpez - your picture sends us back into a gruesome past, the unknown soldier's grave reminding us of where "the paths of glory" lead.
f22 - a nice capture, and an interesting vantage point.
Gerbermiester - an interesting story leading to an interesting photo. I like the dark underground Shiva is... well, floating on.
geomez - a very gritty photo combined with a sarcastic caption. The blur of the mouse's body is a very appropriate symbol of beginning decomposition. Though your picture may evoke feelings of discomfort and refusal in some people, it's definitely spectacular.
tessfully - another beautiful picture of decay. Great contrasts and colours.
ramseybuckeye - your photo is one of those which are telling a story, but you never get to know the truth behind the scene. So you have to establish your own theory to answer the nagging question: What happend to the girl? The harsh underground is very disturbing...
Arjay Bee - another telling, not revealing the truth picture. Great simplicity.
geogal84 - your picture is truly developing power once you have read the story behind it. Great bokeh effect.
arnold - another beautiful beauty-in-decay-picture. Very well spotted, lovely composed. The colour rendition creates a spooky atmosphere.
Hattifnatt - the beautiful bokeh strengthens the melancholy your picture evokes.
noelcmm - a well spotted scene of an angel who really looks lost.

Now to the hard part, the judging. You guys sent me a pack of really great entries. For some of them I only realized how good they were when I was trying to express my thoughts about them. Well, there we go:

Third place: StephenHampshire. You cannot escape the story your picture tells.

Second place: Tamia. Depicting beauty in decay so well takes some beating.

First place: Bruce Clark. Your photo has it all.

Honourable mentions in no particular order go to mattb123, tessfull, arnold and Arjay Bee. And a special honourable mention goes to geomez - not only for the picture itself, but also for being bold enough to post it.

That's it, and let me say you all gave me a great time watching, thinking and judging. Over to Bruce Clark!

Cheers, Christoph
Views: 1,181
04-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for hosting and great photos

can't wait to see what comes next
04-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes thank you for the efforts you made in judging. Congratulations also to the winners.
04-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thank you for the comments on each image - you have spent a great deal of thought and time on the judging and that is appreciated - I like to compare my reactions to the judge's as it helps me to see better as well.

Congratulations to all - look forward to the next topic.

04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Bruce, well done, Tamia & Stephen too!. Good challenge all!
04-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done all. Some great images there!!
Deep in thought now, Bruce?? Looking forward to what you come up with.
04-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to all the winners and thanks for the thought provoking challenge jchorst.
04-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to our wonderful host in jchorst in providing a testing subject and providing an excellent appraisal of all entries. There were many terrific photos exhibited here and while I was fortunate to be selected, I must congratulate all those who participated. Yes Rod_Grant, I am now deep in thought. I have nearly decided on a topic and will set the new challenge very soon.

04-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Bruce, what a great winning image, love the story line there. And extended to Tamia and Stephenhampshire, and the HM's mattb123, tessfull, arnold and Arjay Bee. And not forgetting Geomez. Thanks to Christoph for the interesting challenge and the judging exercise. Much appreciated.
04-07-2017, 01:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you for taking the time to comment on all the photos - interesting to see the different variations on the theme too
04-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great challenge for sure.Looking forward to partake in Bruce's challenge.--charliezap
04-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to all the winners especially to Bruce for his wonderful entry. Great challenge and, as always, it is so nice to get feedback on the entries. Well done Christoph.
04-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for an intriguing theme, for judging, and for commenting on each entry, Christoph. Thanks also for the unexpected podium place! Congrats Stephen and Bruce for 3rd and 1st, respectively. Well done, and wonderful entries all.
04-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Really enjoyed this theme! Congrats to all the winners and a big thank you to our host!!