Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #384 Looking behind the subject.
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 04-06-2017, 10:43 PM

In this weeks challenge I am looking at backgrounds.

I tend to concentrate on the main subject of a photograph and treat the background as something of a problem and not part of the solution. How can I frame this so get rid of some distracting element. Can I blur the background? How can I crop this to remove the truck in the distance? When I have time to think about things, I try to deliberately put the subject in front of an interesting background. Sometimes this involves selecting a different angle of view Sometimes it means waiting for the right background to come along. Sometimes it is pot luck.

Examples

#1 Pot luck. It happens occasionally.

# 2 Bending, crouching and eventually lying on the ground to get the two flowers lined up.

#3 Seeing a possibility and waiting for the elements to line up. The pelican and reflection of a red and yellow truck passing on the freeway behind. I waited 30 minutes for this one.

# 4 A similar shaped flower of a contrasting colour, blurred just enough conveys a repetition of the subject and a break in the otherwise uniform background.

For this exercise I would prefer no composites. It does not have to be soft and dreamy. If something dramatic is going on behind well and good.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-07-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Views: 2,572
04-07-2017, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't wait to see these photos

ok, I'll try

a rough legged hawk in its enclosure at the Topeka Zoological Park, it is not blind, it is exhibiting its "third eye lid"

I was attempting to capture the bird despite the diamond shaped netting between the camera and the bird.

as far as the contest goes, the blurred back ground of the netting at the back of the enclosure is the tie in.

the effect, as far as I am concerned, is that the hawk pops out of the photo.

I knew from past experience I could "erase" the front netting and get a blurred back ground however the nictitating membrane was pure luck bonus

K 3 + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW hand held

Focal Length 450.0mm (35mm equivalent: 675mm)
Exposure Time 1/500s (0.0020)
Aperture F/5.6
ISO Equivalent 400
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Aslyfox; 04-11-2017 at 05:08 AM. Reason: added dividing line to set off entry from first textual message
04-07-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think this one qualifies. We were hiking on a foggy day and I framed the main tree in this photo to the foggy background trees.

04-07-2017, 11:08 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

04-07-2017, 11:29 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Looking at the Subject's Behind: Or How I Enjoyed Yellowstone Falls."

04-07-2017, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-07-2017, 12:59 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope this one qualifies. This is a swan (duh) swimming on a pond in our town. Due to the light reflections on the building on the right side it looks like the swan is swimming in a pool with a mosaic floor.
This does not work all the time though. You need the swan, an early morning and a sun .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-07-2017, 02:05 PM - 8 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

This one wasn't luck, it took some effort! I was happy with the results but would love to get better at these shots and want to do more.
The challenge is finding models with the patience to help me get it all aligned right!

04-08-2017, 04:08 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This one wasn't luck, it took some effort! I was happy with the results but would love to get better at these shots and want to do more.
The challenge is finding models with the patience to help me get it all aligned right!

which was more troublesome

the canine or human model?
04-08-2017, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I call this image Morning Sun. I shot the sunflowers in the early morning to get them illuminated by the sun and used the f1.4 aperture on my M50 to get the flower in the background to look a little like the sun.

Tim
04-08-2017, 08:33 AM - 5 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ross's Geese are usually associated with wild places, and I was pleased to be able to capture these against the backdrop of a major city.

04-08-2017, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the movies--yikes

When I got my Pentax 100mm WR macro lens 3 years ago I was like a kid in a candy store.I really liked this shot especially with the ant silhouette in the background because it reminded me of the 50's scifi movie "Them" I hope Bruce shares my passion for this lucky shot.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
04-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
which was more troublesome

the canine or human model?
I'll just say that dog could run back and forth there all night and still have a good time!

Last edited by mattb123; 04-10-2017 at 09:59 AM.
04-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Excellent examples Bruce. Sadly, we are going to be traveling again for the next couple of weeks but I will try to find a way to have a look at the entries when able. So far it looks like you are going to have your work cut out for you.
04-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
When I got my Pentax 100mm WR macro lens 3 years ago I was like a kid in a candy store.I really liked this shot especially with the ant silhouette in the background because it reminded me of the 50's scifi movie "Them" I hope Bruce shares my passion for this lucky shot.--charliezap

which one of the two photos did you take

very nice and yes I once saw the film on late night TV in the early '70s hosted by some one called Elvira Mistress of the Dark

at that age, I may have been more impressed by her décolletage than the quality of the films being broad cast