Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners: Weekly Challenge #384 Looking behind the subject.
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 04-15-2017, 09:27 PM

Wow what a fine collection of images. So many interpretations of the theme, it makes it almost impossible to select a winner out of them but here goes.

aslyfox: Hawk That fence could ether be in sharp focus in which case it would very likely ruin the photo. Or is could be so completely out of focus as to be virtually invisible. This is just in focus enough to let us know it is there and tells us this is not just a bird but a captive bird. The eyelid is a bonus the way it echos the background colour.

sealonsf: Tree in fog.
A dead forest giant still dominates the scene. Receding lines leading into a foggy distance. Grey fog, grey tree. Perfect match.

geomez: Seed pods.
Bright highlights matching the shapes in the seed pods. Adds brilliant colours to the brown of the subject.

SpecialK: Waterfall. An interesting interpretation of the theme.
I have studied this photograph for quite some time and I can confirm that there IS in fact a waterfall in the background. Who said Pentax A/F can't be trusted?

aacb: Disco. The background here sets the scene and defines the mood.

Vaskebjorn. Swan. The reflection, the neck and head of the swan are perfectly matching. A good eye to spot the possibilities and take the photo at just the right moment.
mattb123. Moon shot. Simply brilliant idea and execution. This must have taken some organisation.
atupdate. Sunflower. Clever use of matching background shapes and colours to the subject and so provide balance to the shot.

jacamar. Geese. You caught these fellows right out of their natural habitat. While birds a far from uncommon in city environments, many photographers would go out of of their way to portray them in a more natural setting.

Charliezap Ant. LOOK OUT there's another one and its bigger. As if the foreground one is not scary enough.

ramseybuckeye Butterfly. Selecting the perfect background and waiting for the perfect subject to come along. Dedication, skill and patience.

Arjay Bee. Discovery Bay. Subtle with matching shapes and colours in the background echoing the bright, stark umbrellas.

jchorst. Psychedelic bokeh. Wow my head is in a spin. Colour plus. The crazy background makes what would be a mundane scene exciting. I occasionally use pegs on the clothesline when messing around with autofocus. I will never be the same again.

Tamia. Condensation.
Almost 100% background. The foreground provides texture. Note also the tantalising inverted view seen in the larger drops.

Scotteroni Flamingo. Fantastic detail in the subject. Really stands out from the disjointed shapes and muted colours in the background. I really like the way the way missing parts, feet legs and tail of the bird are shown in the background.

Hattifnatt. Girl in bar. Could not have been done better if set up in a studio with professional models and lighting. Apart from the technical aspects this captures emotion.

tessfully. Iron Girder.
Sharp detail foreground receding into the background blur with a blend of matching and contrasting colour. Or is the girder growing out towards the viewer?

noelcm Mynah.
Sensational colour. Perfect bokeh complimenting the bird and the vertical bars

The winner by the closest of all possible margins goes to Hattinfat for the girl in the bar. The powerful emotion on display here leads to all sorts of questions, none of which are answered.
Second place to mattb123 for a masterpiece of timing.
Third place ramseybuckeye in recognition of the sheer patience and dedication displayed.

Special mention to SpecialK

To all other contestants well done. I truly think this was the toughest challenge I have had to judge to date. They were all truly great entries and I thank you all.

I now hand over to
Hattinfat for the next challenge.

Good Luck

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax/Ricoh camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Views: 1,299
04-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That "girl in bar" shot was a great shot with just the girl but having the other figures was the icing well done Hattifnatt- loved this one and agree with your choice, good comp theme and thanks for hosting Bruce - very enjoyable images everyone.
04-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Congrats Hattifnatt and the runner-ups. And to be honest, all the rest of the partcipants. I really love this contest and all the pictures that are posted. I am always looking forward to what the next challange will be and if I can find or shoot a suiting photo.

And now I am preparing for the next contest #385.

Richard
04-16-2017, 03:42 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge

congrats to all, as I expected in the beginning it was a great contest and great submissions

I have taken the liberty to add a link to the actual thread with the submissions to the contest to make it easy for those who did not submit to the contest but are looking at this thread, (whew this is a long sentence), to see the actual submissions.

We all appreciate the time and effort that went into the judging and specific comments on each entry

Weekly Challenge #384 Looking behind the subject. - PentaxForums.com

whoops, I see Bruce was ahead of me, well, I'm leaving the link in just because the entries were so good they are worth a second link

Last edited by Aslyfox; 04-16-2017 at 03:58 AM.
04-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Great work everyone! Loved the entries... Congratulations Hattifnatt, I had a feeling your image would win. And congrats to the runners up, Matt and Tom Really great shots.

I look forward to the next challenger.

And a note to Bruce, thank you so much for your comments on each photo. I enjoyed reading them very much.
04-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Hattifnatt on a marvelous image. Great entries everyone. We are still on the road but I always enjoy checking in when possible to see all the wonderful challenges.
04-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Congrats to a worthy winner Hattifnatt and to the others on the podium, mattb123 and ramseybuckeye. Great competition, amazing entries. A contest like this is almost enough justification for purchasing a Pentax camera!
04-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Fab winning shot, perfect mood captured. Congratulations Hattifnatt, worthy winner in a tough challenge! And extended to Matt and Tom! Wonderful entries in an interesting challenge-Thanks Bruce for that, and the judging exercise and critiques. Always appreciated.

04-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thank you very much for giving my picture the first place, it's an honor to win this edition of the weekly challenge considering the quality of the entries. Congratulations to Matt, Tom, SpecialK and in all honesty to all the participants. This is one of my favorite pics, so it's always nice to see it getting some recognition, although I consider it to be pot luck, possibly beginner's luck since I was just starting out with photography at that time.

Unfortunately I will not be able to host the next challenge. I'm leaving in vacation in 2 days, without a laptop and quite possibly very limited internet access. I don't want to start something that I'm not able to finish, so I will hand it over to Matt.

Cheers everybody!
04-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you very much for giving my picture the first place, it's an honor to win this edition of the weekly challenge considering the quality of the entries. Congratulations to Matt, Tom, SpecialK and in all honesty to all the participants. This is one of my favorite pics, so it's always nice to see it getting some recognition, although I consider it to be pot luck, possibly beginner's luck since I was just starting out with photography at that time.

Unfortunately I will not be able to host the next challenge. I'm leaving in vacation in 2 days, without a laptop and quite possibly very limited internet access. I don't want to start something that I'm not able to finish, so I will hand it over to Matt.

Cheers everybody!
Congratulations and thanks! I'll think of a theme and get a new round up when I can. Hmmm...
04-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Congratulations Cosmin, what a fantastic image! And a real stunner Matt. I was honored to place with such a fine field, thanks Bruce.
04-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Where are the pictures ?
04-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
eva
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Where are the pictures ?
Weekly Challenge #384 Looking behind the subject. - PentaxForums.com
04-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Thanks !!
04-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Well done all, and congratulations Hattifnatt, Matt, and Tom. Enjoyed this theme, Bruce -- thanks for that and for commenting on everyone's photos. Have a great vacation Hattifnatt!