Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners! - Weekly Challenge #385 Highlights
Posted By: mattb123, 04-30-2017, 10:30 PM

Lots of great entries and forgive me for being so slow. I wanted to say a little something about each photo and circumstances have not exactly been accommodating for me.
Anyway, here are my notes on each photo:

Bruce Clark - Nice image of the Spider Lily. It stands out out nicely against the background and the highlights really help.
atupdate - Interesting and very retro looking image of Moe. The highlight definitely makes him stand out against the background. Glad he's not in distress.
charliezap - good image of the falls and some special looking clouds and light! It's unfortunate the cloud highlights blew out but it's still an enjoyable image.
Vaskebjorn - It certainly qualifies! Nice bokeh balls from the oof highlights and also some on the in focus subject.
Tamia - Nice color in that refelction and highlights in the bubbles. Interesting shapes and textures in there too!
WileyB - Yes, they bring that cholla to life! Nice shot and good example if the theme.
geomez - interesting patterns and subtle color. The highlights are pretty subtle too.
sealonsf - I really like this. The highlighted rock almost jumps out at me. Nice.
Nicks_k3_photos - Nice image and the frost makes some very nice highlights. Great light as you mentioned and the reflection works too. Nice.
aaacb - Good shot of the instrument. The highlight really draws my eye to it.
SD_Bob - great light and interesting terrain. The highlights really draw me to those distant shapes.
SpecialK - an intriguing image and great interpretation of the theme. I like it.
smf - nice graphic feel to this. Works grate and the high contrast highlights make a neat effect.
StephenHampshire - Great shot. The highlighted smoke and trumpet details really make it. Great interpretation.
Arjay Bee - the fireworks are good but I especially like stuff like the highlights on the people. Nice.
jchorst - Quite the capture! The highlights certainly draw the eye in!
AggieDad - Good reflection and nice water highlights contrasting with the duck.
jacamar - Love that highlighted mist. Beautiful scene.
Geodude - the backlit butterfly and the plants all have good highlights that enhance the shot. Good catch.
EBirdy - Looks like a familiar scene! Great golden highlight in the hillside there.
ramseybuckeye - That's really nice. Love the effect of the light on the tracks.
noelcmn - they certainly can and this is a great example.
slowpez - Great scene, nice catch.
djb47 - Lice architectural image and some good highlights there in the foreground.
lukulele - very contrasty and that flower almost jumps off the screen!
jheu02 - Great color here and some good shape enhancing highlights on the performer.
eva - Lovely mountain scene. Snow highlights are some of my favorites!

And the winner is...
StephenHampshire! Just a fanastic shot that also shows the theme well. Congratulations!

Second goes to
sealonsf

Third to smf

It's purely a coincidence I chose all mono images for he podium. Lots of good color ones too, it just worked out this way.
Views: 1,083
04-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Stephen and the runners up, and thanks to Matt for taking the time with all the comments.
04-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners and all participants.Thanks mattb 123 for judging an commenting on each photo.Nice challenge ,great photos everyone!
04-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fabulous winning shot that, worthy winner! Congrats Stephen, and extended to Sealonsf and Smf. An ever so pleasant and inspiring challenge, thanks to Mattb123 for the challenge and the commenting!

05-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Steven. Thanks for the great contest idea Matt. It really brought out some stunning images.
05-01-2017, 02:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My choice too - an outstanding image. Enjoyed all the entries. Thank you Matt for an interesting theme.
05-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Stephen, would have been my winner as well. Extended to Sealonsf and Smf. And thanks to our judge who choose a subject which brought out so many intriguing shots!
05-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners and thanks for the thoughtful comments.

05-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful challenge Matt and it is always nice to see comments on each photo. Three great images and congrats goes to all of them. Stephen, the lighting on the trumpet player was really special. Looking forward to the next challenge.
05-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much, Matt, for the challenge, judging and third place.

Congratulations and applause, Stephen and Sealonsf, for first and second place.

And applause to the other entrants.

Stu
05-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Awesome theme, awesome pictures.

Thanks everyone!
05-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Lots of great entries and forgive me for being so slow. I wanted to say a little something about each photo and circumstances have not exactly been accommodating for me.
Anyway, here are my notes on each photo:

Bruce Clark - Nice image of the Spider Lily. It stands out out nicely against the background and the highlights really help.
atupdate - Interesting and very retro looking image of Moe. The highlight definitely makes him stand out against the background. Glad he's not in distress.
charliezap - good image of the falls and some special looking clouds and light! It's unfortunate the cloud highlights blew out but it's still an enjoyable image.
Vaskebjorn - It certainly qualifies! Nice bokeh balls from the oof highlights and also some on the in focus subject.
Tamia - Nice color in that refelction and highlights in the bubbles. Interesting shapes and textures in there too!
WileyB - Yes, they bring that cholla to life! Nice shot and good example if the theme.
geomez - interesting patterns and subtle color. The highlights are pretty subtle too.
sealonsf - I really like this. The highlighted rock almost jumps out at me. Nice.
Nicks_k3_photos - Nice image and the frost makes some very nice highlights. Great light as you mentioned and the reflection works too. Nice.
aaacb - Good shot of the instrument. The highlight really draws my eye to it.
SD_Bob - great light and interesting terrain. The highlights really draw me to those distant shapes.
SpecialK - an intriguing image and great interpretation of the theme. I like it.
smf - nice graphic feel to this. Works grate and the high contrast highlights make a neat effect.
StephenHampshire - Great shot. The highlighted smoke and trumpet details really make it. Great interpretation.
Arjay Bee - the fireworks are good but I especially like stuff like the highlights on the people. Nice.
jchorst - Quite the capture! The highlights certainly draw the eye in!
AggieDad - Good reflection and nice water highlights contrasting with the duck.
jacamar - Love that highlighted mist. Beautiful scene.
Geodude - the backlit butterfly and the plants all have good highlights that enhance the shot. Good catch.
EBirdy - Looks like a familiar scene! Great golden highlight in the hillside there.
ramseybuckeye - That's really nice. Love the effect of the light on the tracks.
noelcmn - they certainly can and this is a great example.
slowpez - Great scene, nice catch.
djb47 - Lice architectural image and some good highlights there in the foreground.
lukulele - very contrasty and that flower almost jumps off the screen!
jheu02 - Great color here and some good shape enhancing highlights on the performer.
eva - Lovely mountain scene. Snow highlights are some of my favorites!

And the winner is...
StephenHampshire! Just a fanastic shot that also shows the theme well. Congratulations!

Second goes to
sealonsf

Third to smf

It's purely a coincidence I chose all mono images for he podium. Lots of good color ones too, it just worked out this way.
Thank you! Only just caught up with this as I have been busy all day and the thread was posted early in the morning UK time! I will start a new competition later tonight....
05-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Stephen and all the other winners,

It was a Nice challange and I am already looking forward to thennext one.
I might even be able to use my new lens as my DA* 300 should arrive tomorrow

Richard
05-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Stephen, for me th challenge was pretty much over when you posted that image. But they were many fine images, conrgats to sealonsf and Stu also. Great challenge Matt!
05-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, Stephen. A moody and superb photo well deserving of the top podium spot. Sealonsf and Stu/smf, congratulations for your renditions of the theme. Great theme, Matt, and thanks for that as well as the comments.