Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#389 — “A Different Approach”
Posted By: smf, 06-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Weekly Challenge #389 — “A Different Approach”

I am honored to have been selected as judge for this Weekly Challenge. Thanks very much to the previous host, Stephen Hampshire, and to everyone who “liked” my photograph of the raindrops on a poppy bud.

I invite you to participate in the return of “A Different Approach” — the topic of Weekly Challenge #324 from August 2015.

“A Different Approach" means that the image you enter is not the first image you captured or processed — or thought you would capture or process — of the subject. Perhaps:

• the angle is different,

• you deliberately overexposed or underexposed,

• you returned at night to a subject you saw during the day,

• you used significantly different processing than you originally intended or attempted,

• or something else.

Please state and explain your different approach, what prompted you to attempt it, and why you prefer it (if you do) to the original approach. Please give information about your choice of camera lens, settings and processing.

I plan to judge on the basis of quality of the image, with the possibility of bonus points for what I think is originality.

The topic was inspired by William Neill's article "Variations on A Theme" on pages 36-37 of the March 2015 issue of Outdoor Photographer, which I hope you can read at this link:

Variations On A Theme - Outdoor Photographer

This contest will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time, USA) Saturday, June 10, and be judged (barring complications) on Sunday, June 11.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Ricoh camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Views: 3,977
06-03-2017, 08:37 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cedar Falls in the Hocking Hills is probably the most photographed waterfall in Ohio. I was there in late April and got to the falls before sunrise. I took a lot of the "standard" shots of the falls similar to what you always see, but I realized there has to be better ways to try to get something original. I was there for quite some time, I was there probably 35 minutes before anyone else in the group I was meeting, and was probably there for over an hour after they arrived.and I took over 90 exposures while there, trying many views. This was one of the last ones I took and my favorite. I sat in about an inch of flowing water with my HD DA 15 and K-30 on a tripod about 10 inches off the rocks (quick dry clothing is great!). Positioned to see the bottom of the falls between the rocks. I may have liked to get a slower shutter speed, but I also din't want someone walking through the scene.

06-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one was taken 353 days ago. It is on a terrace in Port el Kantaoui. My wife and i were having a late lunch when these ladies popped up.
Thinking on how to get them on the photo, the conclusion was that it had to be taken from close to the gound. I basically "dropped" my camera to the floor and pushed the button. I got lucky. There was a lot of unwanted stuff on the photo that i had to crop off though. Also the horizon was not entirely straight as you might have noticed, but i liked the effect and left it this way.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In 2010 I replicated an Oregon trip I had taken 24 years earlier. Then at Crater Lake, it was blue sky, blue lake. This time, not so much.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-05-2017 at 09:10 PM.
06-04-2017, 03:36 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Here is my entry inspired by Andy Warhol.

This was my first can of soup image but it didn't offer the color impact I wanted.

So I re-shot the image with the background color very close to the color of the red on the can.

I then discovered that by masking the red areas and sliding the hue slider, I could get the composite that I entered.

Tim
06-04-2017, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My little friend

I have many feeders around the home and the birds do come close to me when I am outside. I set the camera on the tripod and hoped that I would get one to feed out of my hand. I was pleased when the chickadee answered my hopes.-charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-04-2017, 06:20 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on your win of the previous contest, Stu. I've been away from my desk, but was intrigued on returning to find your theme for this week's contest. I believe this is a different approach, where I used...

A Composite of the Moon and Frost From Winter Trees

This was for a monthly contest here at PF. I'd not done any composites before, but even before the composite, I'd submitted the frosty trees to the Exclusives Gallery and been rejected for "the unusual perspective" of the sun-loosened frost "falling up" as I shot looking into the tree canopy from ground level. I'd deliberately chosen this perspective to highlight the falling frost. So much for innovation!

06-04-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When shooting sports you usually want 1/500 s or faster to freeze the action or maybe 1/100 s if you can pan ok and want a blurred background. But when I shot this I didn't realize I was on manual with exposure time set at 1/6 s. I was surprised that I still could make the ladie's face somewhat.

06-04-2017, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

This turned out very differently from what I initially expected. I started with color but I couldn't get anything I liked out of this photo until I dropped the shadows and converted to mono.

06-05-2017, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #10

Bush Walk

Bush Walk is my "official" titling but it should really be named Embarrassing!

Shooting pics with my K1 on a car/photo rally. I was holding the camera in front of me and accidentally fired off the shutter.

Took a nicely balanced picture in dark bush with an obviously longer shutter speed K1. 28-105mm lens. 1/8s . f6.3. ISO 200. fl 58mm. Anti Shake didn't cope too well!

Next job is to replicate it on another topic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-05-2017, 06:34 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

We took several trips to the Viera wetlands trying to hide out long enough to get a sunset shot of these blackbirds on an unoccupied osprey nest. They were there every night but the employees kept making us leave before or right at sunset. The night of the full moon came around as did the birds but not together. A little bit of composite work gave me what I was hoping to get and the black & white conversion made it for me.

06-05-2017, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I was in Stavanger, Norway I had a chance to take a picture of SSCV Thialf, the largest crane vessel in the world. The ship was nice but too far away, so I switched the DA 15 with FA 77 and took some more shots. While I was trying to focus, I noticed the lights on the ship look kinda interesting when out of focus, so I tried to maximize this effect and I got this:

This was the shot with FA 77 and correct focus:

An this one is the first shot with the DA 15:
06-05-2017, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll go with this one- the gills of a mushroom, shot with the 18-55mm Kit lens, couples with a screw on magnifying glass and made an abstract with a bit of play on colors.

This is the original- no PP only resized for the web
06-06-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
Great challenge idea! I have something that I think fits. Late last fall, on a late afternoon, I was taking some photos of the juxtaposition of a maple and white pine in the backyard, trying to get the result to feel as if I was deep in the woods. I enjoyed what I had, but thought it might be more interesting to go back out and take some shots, backed off just a bit, that captured a street light in the background and try a tungsten white balance setting to make it look like a night time scene. The first photo is the result, the one below was one I took a bit earlier with a more standard white balance. You can see these are the same subjects. The main difference is a little different distance, composition and the tungsten white balance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
06-06-2017, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This one I chose to edit completely differently than I usually do for nature and wildlife photos. I wanted to signify the fact that this little gosling was determined to pull out this one blade of grass. I watched for a while before I aimed my camera to capture this scene. This was deliberately shot with the post processing in mind (I had to get really low and very slow since the parent geese were right there and hissed at me a few times).
K-30, DA L 50-200 WR.
F/5.6 @ 200mm, ISO 800, 1/1250 Sec in TaV mode.