Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
#389 — “A Different Approach”
Posted By: smf, 06-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Weekly Challenge #389 — “A Different Approach”

I am honored to have been selected as judge for this Weekly Challenge. Thanks very much to the previous host, Stephen Hampshire, and to everyone who “liked” my photograph of the raindrops on a poppy bud.

I invite you to participate in the return of “A Different Approach” — the topic of Weekly Challenge #324 from August 2015.

“A Different Approach" means that the image you enter is not the first image you captured or processed — or thought you would capture or process — of the subject. Perhaps:

• the angle is different,

• you deliberately overexposed or underexposed,

• you returned at night to a subject you saw during the day,

• you used significantly different processing than you originally intended or attempted,

• or something else.

Please state and explain your different approach, what prompted you to attempt it, and why you prefer it (if you do) to the original approach. Please give information about your choice of camera lens, settings and processing.

I plan to judge on the basis of quality of the image, with the possibility of bonus points for what I think is originality.

The topic was inspired by William Neill's article "Variations on A Theme" on pages 36-37 of the March 2015 issue of Outdoor Photographer, which I hope you can read at this link:

Variations On A Theme - Outdoor Photographer

This contest will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time, USA) Saturday, June 10, and be judged (barring complications) on Sunday, June 11.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax/Ricoh/Samsung-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Ricoh camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Views: 3,982
06-07-2017, 02:43 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This photo was a different approach for me because I conceived the idea and executed the photo by picking cherry blossoms and placing them in water in a clear pyrex dish - I agitated the water as I was taking the photo for interest and created shadows on a sunny day. I usually only take travel, wildlife and landscapes.

06-09-2017, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #17

This is an attempt to mix B&W with some colour.
The location is Treblinka concentration camp in Poland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
06-09-2017, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This image was made using a Canon Powershot A70 camera several years ago but.. with a reversed Takumar 50mm f1:1.4, 8 aperture bladed lens which is both a "different approach" and what allows me to meet the criteria for the contest (barely). I had the lens pressed against the lens of the Powershot in 'free mount' style. Which was great until I forgot I was using my left hand to hold the Takumar and I dropped the lens into the garden - no long term damage thank goodness.

06-10-2017, 03:55 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I suppose the different approach to this one is to present a sunset in black and white-- but also the processing was used to enhance the texture of the sky and the "rays" from the sun!

06-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the quality and quantity of entries thus far!

Sunday will be a busy day. I'm uncertain what time the results will be posted. I'm still hoping it'll be Sunday, but please forgive me if it turns out to be Monday (U.S. Eastern time zone).

Best wishes,
Stu
06-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #21
J8B

Photos: Albums
I realise that I'm too late for the entry cutoff, but wanted to post this anyway. The weekly challenge inspired me to dust off the Pentax K10D and go out and shoot with it (I have been primarily using film cameras, as well as the K-01 and Fuji XE-1 recently). I charged it up, packed my Benro tripod and cycled headed down to Glenelg Beach (Adelaide, South Australia) to see if I could capture the sunrise. I had re-read the K10D manual during the week and came across it's multi-exposure feature, something that I've never used. So my something different is using the multi-exposure mode to blur the water, when there was too much light to get a nice slow shutter speed. I set the multi-exposure mode to 6 shots, and turned Auto EV Adjust on. This smoothed out the water nicely. I'd like to try it out again to get some nice cloud movement. There weren't may clouds about this morning.

06-11-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much to all participants!

The announcement of winners plus my comments are here:

Winners

Although I designated only three winners, there are many more "winning" images.

I am very impressed by the quality of images and very pleased that so many photographers chose to participate.

Best wishes!

Stu